Page 35 of 79 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Not too sure a wire wheel will get it off, but it might.

I left a gap probably .5mm for the weld to fall down into but welded both sides i was thinking of grinding down the welds but i dont want.it looking shady either so unsure what i'll do as of yet

Still need to weld the bottom plate but this morning i had just moved the welder and it was raining while i was packing up the other tools

Dont really want my expensive welders out in those conditions

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Taking a different approach tossing that welded piece and picked up 2 plates of 300x300x6mm to go top and bottom of A frame i am feeling lazy i just have zero motivation to work on the trailer its like your left hand fighting with your right hand...

As mentioned wish i had never took on the trailer build but its here and now i have to finish it

Hopping to find some motovation to do some drilling today and mount both A frame plates along with tow hitch receiver

Also hopping to drill my spring hanger assembly U bolt open ended plates

So lots of drilling and i really hate drilling...

Spent about an hour and a half trying to drill perfect holes to line up with the aluminium chassis holes got the top and bottom plates sorted and bolted on

Just need to drill the tow hitch receiver bolt holes and weld a chain on

I drilled more holes in the 12mm flat bar for the spring hanger assembly U bolts open end plate, started off drilling 5mm pilot holes than drilled them out to 11mm than put the second hand 18mm drill bit in the chuck and its shit house wobbles like crazy and i paid $25 for it quiet pissed about to msg the seller to see what the go is

All up drilled 16 holes multiple times over to bring the holes out to size, drilling the 5mm hole thru 12mm flat bar piece of piss drilling 11mm not so fun..

Just need to sort out this 18mm drill bit and i'll be in business

Rained the whole time i was working on the trailer so hopefully i dont get the flu

Cant mark anything in the rain with a texta so i need to trim top and bottom plates to shapeAttachment 120892Attachment 120893Attachment 120894

Check out the drill bit i got stung on.... when u see it... looks like a taper morse drill bit machined poorly to fit a hand drill...Attachment 120897Attachment 120898

Went back to old mate showed him the drill bit he gave me 2 more 17.5mm and one of those wobbled too but the other was slightly better and drilled

Stood at the bench drill for an hour trying to drill the holes out 11mm to 17.5mm it took forever than realised the bench drill must be spinning too fast

Grabbed the 18+ ryobi put it on drill, low high torque speed and was done in 15mins

Holes are not exactly 101% centered but i dont really care this job was so ..... boring i hate drilling

This plate will be chopped onto 4 pieces for the open end of the U bolts

Attachment 120901Attachment 120902Attachment 120903

Still sounds like the bit is crap. If i couldn't drill through that in under 2 minutes I'd be changing bits.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Stood at the bench drill for an hour trying to drill the holes out 11mm to 17.5mm

So it took an actual hour or it "felt" like it took an hour?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Still sounds like the bit is crap. If i couldn't drill through that in under 2 minutes I'd be changing bits.
    Hey Dig using the ryobi cordless on low speed with torque all 8 holes were drilled out in about 15mins i had spent well over an hour on the bench drill just before it and go not where

The bit is ok my bench drill only goes down to 500rpm slowest speed, cordless drill was munching the steel at around 80-150rpm and done it really quickly

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    So it took an actual hour or it "felt" like it took an hour?

Matt
    Well over 1 hour my arm got tired of holding the steel bar up to drill the holes on the end

Forgot to charge the battery last night got it on charge now.. going to bunnings need to get a pack of cutting disc to trim the upper and lower plates and the drilled plate, if the battery charges before dark i will drill my tow hitch receiever and possibly buy the bolts from bunnings

Trying to work out the next stage that is bolting on both springer hanger assemblies as when i had them on months ago the overall weight crushed the crates holding up the ally frame

Finally its done 95% of the drilling is over tow hitch reciever just needs to be bolted on

Trying to figure out if 12mm bokts are as strong as 1/2" my holes are metric but the bolts that came with my trailer hitch kit are imperial

Went to bunnings all they have are these bolts in 220mm i need 250mm high tensile, anyone know what grade these bolts are?Attachment 120912

Ausfish Platinum Member

They'd be Bunnings quality. Really good for bolting timber pergolas together. You should go to a industrial supplier if you want high tensile. Mind you, the gal bolts that are used to bolt commercially built trailers together aren't high tensile either, no markings on the heads as to grade, so these could be good enough.

I'm currently building a trailer myself, at the moment. 2 tonne off-road, single axle with electric brakes. I have an alloy ute tray to fit on top. I've been at the actual fabrication for 3 or 4 days now--some short days when the temps were 40 or close, the shed I'm doing it in gets a bit warm. I'm 67 now, can't go as hard as I used to. Finished the two side rails complete with spring hangers and tray mounts today, tomorrow I'll be boxing it in, taking great care to make sure everything , like all the mounting holes for the tray base, line up. Might even get the drawbar done. Then I can put the wheels and springs under it, and dry fit the whole thing before I take the tray off again and paint it properly.

Sounds like your smashing it out Ran it has taking me so long because its cost a lot of money i mostly didnt have and gone over budget but what is really kicking me is its depressing, at the beginning all i seen were second hand steel trailers for $2000 now i started building one the market is flooded with $1000-$1500 trailers it really gets me down

The drilling i thought was going to be simple strait forward but it has takin hours on top of hours plus hours more... the drilling is so boring and i just get the shits with it

There were times i had to wait months to get money to continue, saving a few hundred bucks is hard when your repaying 1/4th of your money each fortnight to loans plus u have bills and living expenses

If i had a mate or two that could come over help out mostly with encouragement and getting started each day the trailer may have been done a little while ago

I beat my self up all the time thinking im a dick head for taking on the project i way underestimated the cost and work effort to build the trailer i just dont have the stamina, i'll drill a few holes and thats it for a few weeks.... weld a few bits on thats it for a couple months... when u dont have any encouragement or you see all these cheap steel trailers for sale its just depressing

Really my steel trailer should have been a good trailer it has sat for 2 years now and its just falling to dust even buying that for $1000 was a piss in the wind...