Page 17 of 79 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

I had a 18.5 foot mid 1990's model Swift Craft the huge half cabin boat, old mate i had bought it off took the tandem trailer from under neath it and replaced it with a single axle trailer i didnt know much about it nothing really at all i just knew it was an absolute bargain at $4500 itwas easy a 10k to 12k boat, anyhow towing it home i entered the Swansea (NSW) on ramp to the motor way and as soon as i went over 80kph it started to sway dangerously obviously the trailer was the wrong type single axle and the boat was huge and incorrectly weight distributed so i have some experience with a load incorrectly loaded and i most defiantly don't want to go down that road again

this is a long term keeper so the trailer and boat will be set up perfect

Wow 17 pages.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Guys you can all laugh at me all you like...

This is the design i am going with i have my middle high spring hangers on there way these will utilize spring on top of spring i know a lot of u said to go against it but i have everything already

the steel angle i picked up on ebay about six meters for $1 its something like 110x75mm and 10mm thick its way over kill but the 10mm thickness should add to the trailers strength

the way i plan on going about it is noticing out a piece of the angle steel to slot around the cross member on the trailer its the only idea i can come up with that keeps the wheel bases close together since they are 9" wheels they are tiny

i really need this trailer as a roller ASAP so i can move it onto a flat bed truck, with cooler days coming i can start welding

How far are you moving?

Still staying in the Western Suburbs of Sydney

Didn't want to fart ass around moving the job in all different positions so just left it in one spot and tried my hand at multiple positions it worked ok and not so ok, had the gas wondering around when welding under the bent sides of the spring hangers i don't know how to fix it i may need to ask however the flat cut sides laid down ok

thought i had all my porosity problems sorted i cleaned the steel really well both pieces to be joined

Steve no comments needed about my welding.

Hi gazza,

Mate is there no one around your area that could teach you a little more on welding with a TIG.

Do you have a stick welder you can fix this up with. Welding out in the open with any gas shielding process is going to be a little how you going. Won't be a good day when the hangers decide to leave the angle.

Wish you were closer to Brisbane to give you hand.

Brett most of the welds came ok one of the welds is here, its the porosity that has me by the balls its bubbling and sparkling the weld but i cant help it as its drawing it up from under the spring hanger, some welds i couldn't control hand shake so the welds were a little wider than others

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Brett most of the welds came ok one of the welds is here, its the porosity that has me by the balls its bubbling and sparkling the weld but i cant help it as its drawing it up from under the spring hanger, some welds i couldn't control hand shake so the welds were a little wider than others
    Gazza you don't weld steel with a TIG like aluminium. Steel you leave the filler rod in the weld pool and work the torch and filler rod up and down like a weave. Aluminium you dip the filler wire in and out of the pool but always keeping in the gas envelope.

Also are you welding with DC and what tungsten are you using. Not sure what type of machine you have but what are you running the torch on DC+ or DC-.

Brett dcen as per millers calculator, im using red tunsten 2.4mm filler rod is 3.2mm because i cant keep up with 2.4mm rods, my machine is maxed at 180amps its a Unimig razor 180amp arc/tig i have a v17 tig torch hooked up

So your saying i should be walking the cup?

welds look okay to me. id buy your product.

I have tried to walk the cup a few years ago and melted the shroud but i can try it again i'm pretty confident i can do it to get that fancy weld but i hope brett is sending me down the right path i dont need anything sexy just need strong welds

Stick weld it Gazza. Even I can glue a couple of bits of steel together that way (most of the time) so it can't be exceptionally difficult 😂

i hope brett is sending me down the right path i dont need anything sexy just need strong welds

Welding is not about sexy. It's about doing it correctly and making sure you have a strong joint.

I will leave it to you

I dislike that with TIG everything has to be clean clean. I love the process on ultra clean stuff though. For a trailer of mild steel especially outside welding I would use a stick welder any day.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing