Page 38 of 79 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

I should add, my genius ideas are just blowing smoke out of my bum, I am just guessing about stuff from the photos, not like actually being there and "playing"

Nah that wont work the i beams are bent for that rear end width if i were to trim the cross members i would also need to cut the front A section to fit as well

Spring hangers wont fit on the inside either hard to see from my pics but there is no allowance for the cross member yo run thru the spring hanger

Only way will be to extend the axles or buy new ones such a bugger i thought i had it all worked out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Thinking about it my 39mm round axles were my drawback on being registered for 1600kg if i can i may squeeze an extra 50 into the deal and get 2x 40mm square axles than my trailer should be able yo pass for 2000kg

Called the steel shop they only have round pipe ID 42mm my axles are 39mm i think that will be to much clearance

I asked about 50x50x5 square tubing $27 this means the internal diameter would be 40x40mm but open corners

I may do the second one above just to get the trailer rolling and swap the axles when i can afgord to

Can always pad weld and then machine to fit Gazza. Plenty of ways to skin the proverbial cat.

What do u mean by pad weld Scott?

using weld to build up the metal - take a quick look on google. You could do a few bands around the axle where it will be inside the pipe or shs and then machine the bands down so they are a neat fit. We use it as a technique for repairing rust pitting.

How do u weld a pipe of beads tho im a bit confused i thought by u saying weld pad as in run horontal beads line after line.level after level than machine the whole block of steel but with a bit of searching i found u can weld a round beaded tube but unsure exactly how its done

Is there some sort of backing?

No mate - pad weld your cut axle and then machine it down so it's a neat fit inside the pipe or SHS. Make it easier to use pipe if that's the way you want to go.

Ah im with u now, my lathe is only a 350mm bed lathe far to small to spin the axle half

The 50x50x5 will be 40x40mm inside diameter i will only be out by 1mm i can weld in a shim or just leave it

But do u think 50x50x5mm shs tubing will be strong enough?

The 43.7mm round pipe i mentioned earlier is only 3.7mm thick wall so it may be to thin

Should be fine.

Picked up 1 meter of the 50x50x5 shs probably more than i needed

I asked about the whole axle extension on another metal group some were for it some were against it

So i only plan on using these extended axles to get the trailer rolling we are hopefully moving house within the next few weeks if a house on level land can be found

Basically all i need to do is attach the axles, bolt on the tow hitch receiver, bolt.on wheels and shes a roller

Things like lights, winch post, trailer bunks will be installed later

Since trailer is almost done do u guys think its a good or bad idea stamping the first letter of my name than my full last name in a few different locations on the trailer?

By law im liable for the trailer for 5 or 8 years or something so i will have to keep it for that duration

Just thinking if it were to get flogged, there are only 2 or 3 people in australia with my name

Can't see having your name on it any more secure than a unique number, if it get stolen it's gone, not many ever get recovered.

Yeah thought maybe it would be a bit of deterant to scrap the trailer if stolen the thiefs would need to take more time to grind out all the stamps

Im thinking it would definatly stop anyone trying to reregister the trailer as if u weld over the stamp the colour of two aluminiums will stand out like dogs balls unless the whole trailer is painted