Page 65 of 79 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Just looking at your draw bar, a double U bolt and a fish plate might have been better? but then, it's only fir the winch post I think.

Hey Noel the front U bolt goes down thru the base steel plate i think its 5mm plate

The rear is U bolted to angle iron 65x65x8mm as a cross member

I am thinking of running 2x 12mm HTG bolts thru the front base and the rear base just so there is no chance of the 100x100 rhs sliding forward or backwards

Hey guys an update i had a leak from the brake tube fitting on the back of the coupling i ended up threading the nut and all shit hit the fan i was about to throw the whole brake actuator in the bin but i cut the double flair off and threw that nut away and installed another but i made sure to squash the coupling hose nut fitting in a 3 way brass fitting as the brake actuator is only aluminium so once that was sorted i got it all together than attached just my brake bleeder bottle and i used the hand brake to bleed the system took about 10mins to bleed the brakes clamped up nice and snug

Only thing is when i pump the hand brake once it pumps and goes hard but moves a tiny bit more than pumping the hand brake twice so i may have some air still left in there

Now i just need to sort my bunks, add the lights, bolt on the winch post, bolt on the mudguards and shes ready for registration

Big things are happening guys im hopping to have the trailer registered within the next 2 weeks

I still need to find and order a couple light mounts that will fit the i beam if anyone knows of any please send a link

The winch post should be going on monday/tuesday when the 100mm U bolts turn up

Center bunks will be going down next week along with the main bunks carpet or no carpet i'll bolt them on

Mudguards will be the last thing bolted on than i'll get a weigh bridge ticket and blue slip the same day

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    i'll get a weigh bridge ticket and blue slip the same day
    Love the positivity but don't be too gutted if it doesn't pass blue slip on the first inspection. You don't build trailers for a living so there's every chance there's compliance stuff you've missed.

Great to hear you're close to finished though. Awesome to get to the end of a large project.

Hey Moph yeah im expecting to get knocked back on all 4 tyres but its money i dont wanna spend unless i have to, 4 new tyres is about $400 so quiet abit of money

To be fair, tyres and wheel bearings are the most common failure points on trailers.

When I came back across the Nullabor from Adelaide in December, I saw two boat trailers on the side of the road before I made it to Port Wakefield (100km) ... one was a blowout and the other bearings (wheel tilted over ... driver on his phone). Not a great way to start a boating holiday

Hey guys if i have a float on/off, drive on/off trailer do i really need to buy a winch? If i must what ratio will i need boat is 5.7m 19ft

I may have pictures later today of progress going to run two 100x50mm bunks up the center

You will need a winch, you will never drive it in exactly the right distance every time, and will need to winch that extra couple of inches, plus now and then you might need to winch it on, because of low tide, motor failure or some unknown reason, it just happens sometimes, a low speed winch is best, slow, but best..

https://www.ansco.com.au/Jarrett-Win.../wb-f10952.htm

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Thanks Noel and Shakey that link is out of stock

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    https://www.ansco.com.au/Jarrett-Win.../wb-f10952.htm

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Shakey, I recently bought that aussie made winch from Whitworths..

Much more robust then the chinese one it replaced.

and the extra 10-1 sprocket saved me yesterday after 2 days at sea fishing and diving I was out of gas 2/3 of the way onto the trailer with the standard 5-1 gearing....

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Shakey, I recently bought that aussie made winch from Whitworths..

Much more robust then the chinese one it replaced.

and the extra 10-1 sprocket saved me yesterday after 2 days at sea fishing and diving I was out of gas 2/3 of the way onto the trailer with the standard 5-1 gearing....
    My ching chong dunger crapped itself with the boat half way on the trailer....

Replaced with a 3 speed Atlantic 15:1 from Freddys. Slow as shit but at least it's easy to crank!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Replaced with a 3 speed Atlantic 15:1 from Freddys. Slow as shit but at least it's easy to crank!
    I have the same one and drive it with an 18V Milwaukee drill + 22mm socket on a hex adaptor. Quick, easy and smooth. Set the drill in low, start on 1:1 until the drill loads up then swap to 15:1. Loads my 16' half cabin in around 30 seconds.