Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Probably the cheapest way of weighing a car or in my case a boat and trailer haha check it out, Ebay here i come for 8 scales lol

Let the fun begin fella's aluminium ordered today i scored a $130 discount just by asking for it, all up price for 2 lengths of 130mm i beam, 1 length of 76x6mm square total cost $948.50, price was $1080 including delivery, it gets delivered tomorrow

i have a plan of bending some round tubing probably 70mm or 80mm round steel tubing for the drive on part of the rear on trailer i was going to hire a pipe bender from the internet but have noticed they are really crap at bending and end up kinking the pipe so i may have to see if kennards hire out this type of tool

Might have to build a new trailer for the cat, pretty easy one to build though, might be easier to sell with an aluminium trailer.

Be a interesting build Noel it might cost a nice penny as you have a big boat but it will be worth it I'm sure it will sell it's self, i was at the boat ramp on the weekend and only seen a couple aluminium trailers with 1/3rd the car park full there were quiet a few new steel gal trailers out there i would have thought there would have been loads of alloy trailers by now i guess the initial purchase prices may be putting people off from buying

A cat trailer would be a breeze, it's just straight sections, no bends, only tricky bit would be the guide up the centre, probably 3 lengths of material would do it, you could even bolt it together because the cross bits (no V needed) simply sit on top of the side rails.

Noel yeah u could possibly bolt all that together with U bolts and stainless steel threaded bolts

This is what i am aiming for i think i should really make the very front cross member from steel SHS and also run a 100x100x4mm SHS steel drawbar

the green lines are the 76mm SHS alloy, i have extended the very end cross member to allow lights to be attached but I'm not sure how i can install the nuts and bolts i plan on using nuts and bolts along with 76mm U bolts for the cross members

i will need to get the drawbar, front cross member, the spring hangers all galvanised anyone got an idea what these will cost to galvanize? i have $1300 to complete the trailer thats not including rego and i am using my other trailers drive train minus springs

i think my other trailer is running 50mm axles

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    A cat trailer would be a breeze, it's just straight sections, no bends, only tricky bit would be the guide up the centre, probably 3 lengths of material would do it, you could even bolt it together because the cross bits (no V needed) simply sit on top of the side rails.
    i had a local guy fab up a alloy welded tunnel guide for me, i made up a wooden tunnel guide jig , and ask him to replicate it and it came out mm perfect, cost was $2000 including materials, i was happy at that price and happier i used local experience. it just u-bolted onto the main frame.

chucking any gusset plates on the first cross member? for the rear i would cut the last cross member to width as per the others and just bang on as L - shape bracket that will bolt on the side of the main rail which will hold the lights, or also attach to rear of mudgaurds, as long as you prop dont extend further than 1.2 mt from your lights your sweet from getting infringement notices from the jolly local officer plod.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Noel yeah u could possibly bolt all that together with U bolts and stainless steel threaded bolts
    i think if you use galvanised bolts then you need a plastic sleeve to seperate the gal from the alloy, as it does some reaction yes/.no ?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Probably the cheapest way of weighing a car or in my case a boat and trailer haha check it out, Ebay here i come for 8 scales lol

Local tip works, at least here in qld and they dont charge. Drive the rig on, get a weight, drive vehicle off so boat is still being weighed, you should still be able to see the weight, use a towball weight scale you buy from the auto shops for less than $100,I got mine on special for a bit under $50. With those 3 weights you can work it all out.

Hey Cat, I'm not sure how far back the mudguards will be i haven't looked at mudguards yet i think i may need to get them fabbed to suit my tandem 9" wheels, i will be using all stainless steel nuts,bolts, washers and SS or Gal U bolts whatever i can find i have a toy lathe that i can spin up some plastic inserts for the U bolts sleeves but we'll see what i can find, no plans of gusset plates they dont use them on the shop bought trailers other than a plate top and bottom on the front of the Y of the trailer that will likely be 8mm aluminium plate

i think the 1.2m over hang is only for cars mate trailers are allowed a certain amount of overhang its different to cars because i will have my axles at the back of the trailer frame its sneaky i have a big space between the front axle and the bow area of the boat i am allowed that much room as overhang so i am bending the rules but well within the book

Where it says "front load space" u have that much from the middle of the axles to the rear how i am going about it sneaky is my front load space will be very long so i should have a very long space hanging off the back without it being called overhang by the bunks lengthi'm hopping anyway

Not much room for brakes with 9inch wheels.
    Cheers Ray

600X9 wheels will fit brakes easy, but, you need the smaller rotors, the tyre diameter size is nearly exactly the same as a standard 13" and the sidewalks are really strong, they were the trailer standard for many years.