Page 37 of 79 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Might need a bit more Gazza - need to allow for the fishplate as well as the u-bolts. Could always cut and extend them with some heavy tube??

Theres a thought Scott but im still learning to stick weld the only weld i have tested was the other day in the press

Not sure if its something i really wanna mess with its uncertanty based on my welds but i cant afford to buy two more axles atm either

Bugger

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Suppose i could make up some extention sleeves on the lathe, how wide would a sitable sleeve need to be for a 40mm gap in the axle

Would u cut both sides off and extend or would u cut the middle and extend?

My lathe can machine up to 125mm diameter but my tooling is only 6mm so to machine a deep inside hole in steel i may only be able to go 100mm deep i do have a fresh tool rod that is 150mm but i have never bored that deep on the lathe before

I only have a small 50mm wide tool post so if i hang the tool out 100-115mm plus machining steel not sure how that would work

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Suppose i could make up some extention sleeves on the lathe, how wide would a sitable sleeve need to be for a 40mm gap in the axle

Would u cut both sides off and extend or would u cut the middle and extend?

My lathe can machine up to 125mm diameter but my tooling is only 6mm so to machine a deep inside hole in steel i may only be able to go 100mm deep i do have a fresh tool rod that is 150mm but i have never bored that deep on the lathe before

I only have a small 50mm wide tool post so if i hang the tool out 100-115mm plus machining steel not sure how that would work

See if you can get some thick wall pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was me Gazza, I would as suggested by Shaun, get some thick walled pipe if the sizing suited then cut the axle in the middle and machine it to suit so it inserts - unless it fits straight up. Weld prep the ends of pipe on the lathe and weld with whatever process you are most comfortable with.

With the amount of rust and gouges on those axles they look second hand

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If it was me Gazza, I would as suggested by Shaun, get some thick walled pipe if the sizing suited then cut the axle in the middle and machine it to suit so it inserts - unless it fits straight up. Weld prep the ends of pipe on the lathe and weld with whatever process you are most comfortable with.
    I would also add a couple of plug welds and it shouldn’t go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    I would also add a couple of plug welds and it shouldn’t go anywhere.

Good Idea Shaun.

Its $170 for two new 1905mm axles should i really screw around with them or just try get the money?

One seventy isnt to much money just i have motivation to work on the trailer but i have bills next pay to pay

I am really inches away from getting this thing rolling but i really cant afford a cock up with all this money poured into the trailer

I am confident in the welding i can tig it piss easy but having a joint-new-repaired-extended axle on a brand new trailer would look a bit half arsed/shonky built

I will try do other work like lights/number plate mounting bracket and see what i wanna do

Just pissed that what i ordered was undersize and i probably didnt calculate in an extra 25mm on top of what i ordered i thought i had the whole thing calculated

Looking at the joiner steel pipe comes in round 48.3mm 4mm wall thickness which would leave me with 1.3mm clearance

I could use square 50x50x5mm this will leave 1mm clearance plus 4 corners to fill in per side actually think i have two pieces of this material out in the back yard

Is there another hub that is not so deep? sometimes you just have to think back the other way, how does a standard hub with out a brake disk on it fit?

I’d be buying two new axles the correct size and trying to sell the ones you have to redeem some money.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Standard disc hubs have a 150mm face and are not deep hubs, usually with a 15" wheel i think the disc sits inside the rim on these velox wheels because they are so small of a rim size the disc actually sits on the inside out of the rim

Its really throwing a curve ball into all my cut and welded measurements

Thinking way outside the box here, can you cut your cross beams and make the frame a bit narrower? might seem extreme but it looks like the cross beams are just bolted on, and be simple to "trim"

Just thought of another "genius" idea, how about cutting the guard brackets off and swapping sides on the spring hanger frames so the angle is on the inside? everything will be still the right way for the slipper springs, you will just need to make some guard mounts.