Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Think someone mentioned it thru the thread to contact a 4wd store for the U bolts i found that manufacturers web site over the christmas holidays and called up just now

Was redirected to a dealer who is up the coast i called them and they said there were 19 pieces on the shelf

The ones i need are 90mm wide, 200mm long, 16mm thick i will need to cut it down to around 150mm long

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Good news guys funds for the trailer are coming in so shit is going to start happening, the galvanizing, the U bolt purchase, the hubs are getting ordered

I have pretty much allocated the funds out for the above jobs but i really need solid advice here

Do u think the 100x3mm drawbar is sufficent? Something like 100x5mm will set me back another $150-$200 which i might be struggling to get but if i have to do it...

Installing the axles than hubs than wheels and mudguards is going to take some work but i think its the only way to gauge how wide i need to cut my mudguard mounts before pulling it all apart again to galvanise

If i am moving it may be better to unbolt the trailer and move it in pieces, nothing is torqued down yet and the mail rails should fit on the xtrail roof racks

Going to call around now for a galvanizer and prices

You ripper first galvanizer i contacted do 5-120kg for $200 they can carry up to 3 ton items, longer acid dip is worse case $50 extra

Very happy to pay those prices, it beats the $4 per kilo i was quoted years ago

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Good news guys funds for the trailer are coming in so shit is going to start happening, the galvanizing, the U bolt purchase, the hubs are getting ordered

I have pretty much allocated the funds out for the above jobs but i really need solid advice here

Do u think the 100x3mm drawbar is sufficent? Something like 100x5mm will set me back another $150-$200 which i might be struggling to get but if i have to do it...

Installing the axles than hubs than wheels and mudguards is going to take some work but i think its the only way to gauge how wide i need to cut my mudguard mounts before pulling it all apart again to galvanise

If i am moving it may be better to unbolt the trailer and move it in pieces, nothing is torqued down yet and the mail rails should fit on the xtrail roof racks

Gazza I'm not a boilermaker but for the sake of others who might post to assist (and so they don't have to go back through the thread) can you post up total trailer and boat weight, weight of boat, dual axle etc and a pic of the trailer so far? Is the neck steel or alloy?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Oz post 337 shows the trailer, let me google some weights and do a spread sheet of what the trailer should weigh ready to register

Boats empty hull weight is 800kg

Engine is 182kg

Trailers I beams and cross members weighed 92kg

2 velox bee hive disc are 18.6kg

Drawbar 100mm sq 3mm weighs 13kg

2 axles 40kg

Wheels 24kg (4 complete wheels)

2 pine sleepers 64kg

2 trailer mechanical brakes ( cant find a weight on these)

2 brake axle ears (about 1kg)

Lights (unsure)

4 mudguards 6.4kg

Nuts and bolts about 5kg

Trailer hitch cannot find a weight maybe 6kg

Trailer brake cable 1kg?

Trailer brake actuator arm probably 1kg

Winch post plus winch unsure yet..

Comes in at 272kg all these weights are from google except the aluminium i remember the weight of the i beams and square hollow sections

So really the trailer should come in around the 300kg mark

The kg i have mentioned are of multiple items combined

How are you getting the boat to the new house?

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    How are you getting the boat to the new house?
    It has to be towed on a tilt tray old steel trailer is in no condition to tow it

Im going to lower the hull back onto the rollers and skids i will tie it down as not to screw the 2 unglassed stringers hopefully the towie is ok with it

Will be really pissed if he wants to throw his tie down over it and jack it down really tight as it will buckle my hull and bust my work

IMO 3 mm should be the minimum. Consider how much weight is going to be up there and make a decision. If it cost you a few more buck for added strength and piece of mind, so be it.

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Yeah i'll look around see where i can find 1.5m i went to the shop i bought the 100x3 and the bloke out the back thought he didnt even have any in that large size so trying to source 5mm might be hard

Picking up 1.7m of 100x100x5mm $105 plus cutting and gst, cheap insurance

Will try to pick up both sets of hubs too

Went to another local steel supplier that sells only australian steel and got it much cheaper $85 for 1.7m 100x100x5mm quality steel

Gee this is quiet a drawbar heavy as anything, going to take a while to drill that sucker

Was tossing up weather to buy the steel and weld on a winch post or buy one already made opted to buy one

Will order the U bolts today and may pick up the hubs tooAttachment 120727

Just got off the phone ordering the Velox disc hubs, placed a few orders on ebay got the long 12mm drill bit along with 6mm long drill bit for drilling the tow hitch strait thru in one go, looking to install 2x m24 high tensile bolts right thru my two steel plates and the drawbar, i have a U bolt coming for the back of the drawbar, ordered 2 lengths 60cm rated 2500kg safety chains

Still need to buy the following
    M24 bolts, nuts x2
    Treated pine sleepers x2 and bolts
    Winch and winch post
    Trailer lights and side markers
    Rear axle HT hubs
    Brakes undecided if to go hydraulic plan was mechanical cable but donno yet

Will likely buy the rear axle hubs once i confirm the velox HT disc hubs fit my wheels

Im getting somewhere guys

This is looking like a $4000 trailer....

Edit: those little 9 inch velox wheels have came back to bite me again, not only do i need two special beehive disc hubs at double the cost to normal disc hubs i now need 140mm lazy hubs for the rear axle that are double the price of 150mm regular lazy hubs struth....

good stuff upgrading the draw bar, 3mm would have eventually twisted im thinking .. sounds like the winds are in ya sails ...on the water by easter perhaps, trolling around a few headlands on a sunday sesh

Gee this is quiet a drawbar heavy as anything, going to take a while to drill that sucker

Could be worse Gazza. Spent a day this week machining out flame cut holes in a 4 ton block of steel 150mm thick. Holes were 52mm in diameter. Hard as hell for the fist 20mm due the steel hardening because of the heat. 8 holes took about 25 man hours including set up. Process doesn't change though - plenty of lubricant, steady firm pressure, slow revs, sharp tooling and if it stops cutting, don't keep going as you are just making it harder.