Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I find WIA rods to be the best and easiest to use too.
    Agreed. The austarc rods Jason was recommending are a WIA product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    The best bet would be to get some 2 mm Austarc 16 tc’s
    Hi Jason,
    I started with 12P's but have used 13S's for years and find them much easier than the 12P's. I've no experience with the 16TC's. Any advice on why you've nominated the TC's? I note the WIA selection chart shows them as low hydrogen and typically for more heavy duty / industrial use than the 13S's.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Agreed. The austarc rods Jason was recommending are a WIA product.
    Yep they are the ones. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Hi Jason,
    I started with 12P's but have used 13S's for years and find them much easier than the 12P's. I've no experience with the 16TC's. Any advice on why you've nominated the TC's? I note the WIA selection chart shows them as low hydrogen and typically for more heavy duty / industrial use than the 13S's.
    6012’s are better than 6013’s for out of position welding as they have a lower silicon level from memory so don’t slump as much especially in downhill I like 16’s because I guess I grew up using them and have found they run better in out of position welding and dirty steel

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Only so much i can do on the trailer started making the top plate where the alloy joins the steel drawbar today, cut out the plate than clamped it on and drilled 2 of 4 holes went looking for my nuts and bolts they have magically dissapeared.. will have to order some more

Really tight for cash ummin and arhin about keeping that 3mm drawbar or replacing it its quiet rusty now so probably wouldnt look the best galvanised

I didnt think making your own trailer was such a mamoth job so much done and so much to do

With the boat overhaul, trailer build and engine rebuild i sure took on enough for one bloke

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Grabbed the last bit of round steel bar i had left over pretty much was pissibg in the wind but i thought i would give the u bolts one last go

Measured out 200mm height than measured out my alloy rail width plus the width of the spring hanger came to 90mm made my bends and i was 10mm too wide

Remarked on the other end of the bar 200mm and 80mm than 200mm it it worked great u bolt fits perfect i used a piece of 10mm angle iron as the die for the bends 5mm radius on each bend were the tightest i could get on the 16mm round bar will post pic tomorrow

Looks like the diy u bolts may work out

Here's the latest u bolt made 16mm round bar

will you get them galvanised once you thread them?

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    will you get them galvanised once you thread them?
    Yeah depending on cash in a couple of months i am hopping to buy the disc/hub kits, rear hubs, brakes, and do all the galvanizing

Im going to weigh everything at home, spring hangers are 45kg a set, top and bottom Y plates, front steel cross member, drawbar need to buy 5mm 100x100mm drawbar im not using the 3mm 100x100mm i have, need to weld on two safety chains and i am going to weld on a winch post probably 5mm 80x80mm or 90x90mm get all that galvanized

In the stinking hot heat today i got my bench drill working properly and now it works great no more 20mins 30mins to drill a 12mm hole takes about 5mins to drill a pilot hole and the main 12mm hole i need to drill 32 holes, this is how my bunks will be bolted on

Mate Xtroll Rust Conqueror UV and Xtroll final.coat should seal up those angle iron brackets nicely. Cheers

Hey Oz im going to get it all galvanised

Gotcha. Cheers

I have stalled on this part of the project for months now because i hate drilling steel use to take forever 20-30mins a hole but got some good advice and now each hole should only take 5mins

A bit of progress fellas i drilled the holes for the tow hitch clamped it down first, drilled the holes and mounted the brake lever

Thats all sorted just need some really long bolts for the tow hitch as the drawbar is 100mm plus thickness of hitch

I just need to purchase a 100mm wide 130mm deep u bolt for the rear of drawbar/first cross member, need to drill the 2 holes and mount the u bolt

Need to pick up 2 really long 7mm and 12mm drill bits at lease 180mm long each to drill thru the Y top plate, bottom plate and the drawbar, than i need to take some carefull measurements and make spacers to go in between the top plate, drawbar and bottom plate

Than i will be onto the wheels and axles, depending if u get raped at the counter when i get the steel hot dip galvanized if i have coin left over i will be buying the disc hubs and u bolts for spring hangers than she sould be a roller hopefully early febuary