Page 23 of 79 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

What about getting long bolts and making a plate with holes the correct spacings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wowzers just called that Snake Racing they want $45 each U bolt, i can't afford to pay $180 fora set and not even be galvanized bugger i have to look into how they are made and make some

plate on top plate on bottom would work but more screwing around and it wouldn't look tidy and could possibly wiggle loose over time

Try calling a spring works, there's one in Port Kembla (Illawarra springs) that might have some info, you can make them yourself, but the sharp bends might weaken the material considerably without the right bending equipment.

Just thinking, how about getting the boat on, get the balance right, then simply bolt the setup on in the right position?

I thought about bolting it on but the whole spring hanger assembly would be bolted to the bottom rail of the I beam only which is i think from memory 4mm aluminium if i use the U bolts it goes over the whole radius of the I beam which would be much more stronger structurally

i donno $180 was a bit to gulp i may just pay it

the spring assembly cannot move Noel because of the notch in the steel angle iron on the spring hanger the plan was to move the boat back or forth on the bunks i tried getting the wheels as far forward as possibly but the way i bent the I beam i put the beds to far back as the plans were to only put a light bend in the I beam as not to fracture the aluminium but it hasnt worked out as of yet

I'm not good with maths or ratios but this is how the boat will sit i just went and measured the trailer the conduit on the ground is 6 meters long the boat is 5.7 meters long what i have marked out in yellow in the picture is 5.7 meters the length of the boat i have 3.6m over the front axle and 2.1m over the rear axle

That does seem like a fair bit of overhang Gazza. Seems like it could do with coming forward a foot or so. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Oz yeah i know just trying my best to try balance it without the boat on the trailer i can easily bring it forward 30cm that won't be a problem but that in return moves more weight forward

i have to realise i will be hanging 180kg engine off the back too

Went back thru the thread I'm now in it $1998 purchased the steel front axle brake mounts last night

still to go

about 60kg of galvanizing the steel $235

beehive disc, $240

brakes $120

sleepers/bunks $100

winch post $250

drawbar 5mm $80

lights $50

spring hanger assembly U bolts $180

anything i have missed guys? total $3253 if i rob my old trailer for parts i (disc and brakes) cost will be $2893 never expected it to cost this much i actually blew out the budget by over 50 percent a major flaw in my planning

would i do it again? haha though one... if i needed a 6 meter plus trailer in the range 7 to 8 meters than no hesitation i would do it again but under a 6 meter trailer the savings are slim to nothing

Just being honest Gaz, expect that to go higher yet.

Kind of looking at this with added interest now because I am half arsed thinking about building an alloy trailer for the cat, just tossing up whether it's worth it as I might sell it soon, a cat trailer is a breeze to build, made a couple now.

Cobbo i have priced everything out i hope i have included everything in the above post there are only a few more things on that list to buy i have already bought everything else

Noel i was looking at cat trailers they would be quiet easy to fab u could do it with basic tools and just run some X across the bottom for strength i was on caprals web site today and orders over $100 are free delivery but if u go in store and outlay a good lump of cash u can ask for a discount think i got $100 off just by asking

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Went back thru the thread I'm now in it $1998 purchased the steel front axle brake mounts last night

still to go

about 60kg of galvanizing the steel $235

beehive disc, $240

brakes $120

sleepers/bunks $100

winch post $250

drawbar 5mm $80

lights $50

spring hanger assembly U bolts $180

anything i have missed guys? total $3253 if i rob my old trailer for parts i (disc and brakes) cost will be $2893 never expected it to cost this much i actually blew out the budget by over 50 percent a major flaw in my planning

would i do it again? haha though one... if i needed a 6 meter plus trailer in the range 7 to 8 meters than no hesitation i would do it again but under a 6 meter trailer the savings are slim to nothing
    cost of engineering and rego?

Engineering certification is done by the blue slip mechanic had one done for spring upgrade and cost $46 from memory