Page 22 of 79 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Laid down some really nice welds my best by far for gasless welding welding the 4mm to the 3/8" was a piece of piss today everything just flowed only manage to cut 1 set of guards but i done both spring hangers just to exhausted to finish it and hang it

I'm going to go with U bolts for the drive train will order those tonight or tomorrow

before anyone ask why did i cut the guards... the guards are universal meaning they fit a wide range of spring lengths and hanger setup's i made sure my mudguards are dead center over the top of each wheel i think we have all seen those trailers where the wheel is off center to the mud guards i didn't want my trailer to be one

Sometimes the wheel is set forward of centre to allow for spring travel when loaded.

I’m sure it back in the thread somewhere but what are the dimensions of the I beams you used for the main rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt even think of that Noel i hope it pans out ok

Shaun i used 130mm i beam and 76x76x6mm cross members but i will be adding two more cross members because of my screw up on the bolt design

Schmick Gazza.........

Col

Thanks Col i will upload some more pics when i jump on the lappy soon will show some welds to quiet happy with those

I'll get the other mudguards cut and sorted today too and take some happy snaps

I have decided to cut back or grind down half of the spring hanger mig welds i have a ton of confidence in my tig welds but none in those 3/8" to 8mm mig welds i really think welding that kind of material was a little to much for my mig welder in my inexperienced hands i much prefer to tig because its 1 setting (amps) and less setting up also i love tig welding its the bomb just hope my filler rods are not rusty

I was going to fabricate some custom L brackets for the bunks but i have a couple meters left over of that rysty steel angle iron im going to use that its stronger than the bat shit that strips car paint in Sydney...

Cutting those cross member ends at 45 degrees is really getting me down tho its a major f... up on my half that i am constantly doubting

Other side of mudguards cut just put into position not bolted down yet need the axles in and wheels on before i make final guard adjustments, here is a pic of the bunk mounts i cut 4 so far need another 4 for the other side than U bolt them all on only going with bunk mounts on one side so the hull cannot snag on anything, Thinking of V'ing between the bunks but will see

It's coming together Gazza. Just remind us what boat is going on it?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Thanks Scott this boat is going on it http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ole-Conversion

Big boat. Should be fun. Cheers

Yeah my biggest boat so far 5.70m

Definitely looking like a trailer now. Keep up the momentum, push through and get it done.

Yeah CT I'm happy with how its turning out just a lot of labor'ish hours now drilling holes thru the 10mm or 3/8" steel I'm not looking forward to but must be done

Guys need help finding the right size square U bolts for the spring hanger assembly they need to be 170mm tall, 90mm inside width its a really odd size i cant find anything like it anyone know who can make some? anywhere in Oz will do i will order over phone

Not able to help accept to say if you can get width and if too long you could cut them down.

Cheers