Page 13 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Shaun i have a Unimig 180A arc welder with a 17 size tig torch, 2.4mm tungsten i do have a 200A AC/DC tig but i prefer to use the Unimig

forgot to add I'm using 3.2mm filler rod its huge but i am shit at dabbing, heres the welder i have https://unimig.com.au/product/unimig...80-amp-mmatig/

i looked up the specs on miller calculator and it says i need 230amps my machine is 50amps short of that to weld

Does anyone know how to calculate the axle width? having trouble here, trailer outside width is 1540mm, new wheels will be zero "0" offset but i dont know how wide the wheels are i cannot find any measurements on ebay, wheels are 195 13" possibly stands for 195mm wide?

one axle calculator is saying i need a tip to tip axle 1990mm another one is saying 1730mm confusing!!!

JP's Metal sells axles in 1727mm and 1930mm https://www.jpsmetal.com.au/home/tra...uare-axle.html if someone can help me out with the calculations i may try to pick up both axles tomorrow

calipers, disc/hubs, wheels will have to wait a few more weeks

I am going dual axle as originally planned in this build along i will be running 13" wheels if the tow ball/hitch is to low or to high iwill use one of these pictured to level the trailer out so hopefully both of the slipper spring sets are load sharing

I just used these guys www.mullinstrailerparts.com.au for my two axle order it was the only shop i came across that rates there 39mm round axles at 1000kg each which is a suprise and they are local to me i saved about $70 by going with these axles over square any penny i can save is much needed as the build is getting up there now, All up cost from buying the aluminium lengths right down to nuts/bolts and cutting disc for the grinder i am in this trailer build so far $1726.02 working out all my ebay purchases and and shop bought receipts its actually looking ok that price does include welding supplies too

just found another two receipts the price i quoted now bumps up forgot about the steel angle total cost $1814.02

Mate had an ally trailer built for his 6.5m half cab. Cost him 12k. You’re doing pretty good so far.

Thanks Gunna, The wheels will be a killer almost $400, Brakes and disc another $220

Going to use the 2 wheels i bought for one of my other trailers, i just went to Wollongong to pick up a 3rd wheel so now i only need 1 more and i have a set of 9 inch wheels for the new trailer, all rims are zero offset and HT stud pattern to match my axles bonus

Damn, where did you find a 13" Holden HT pattern wheel in Wollongong? I need a couple myself to change my trailer over, getting rid of the 600X9 wheels, going to probably just buy a new couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Damn, where did you find a 13" Holden HT pattern wheel in Wollongong? I need a couple myself to change my trailer over, getting rid of the 600X9 wheels, going to probably just buy a new couple.
    Gazza talking about 9 inch, a little shy of the 13 inch you want, I have 3 up here but you'd need to visit the Sunshine Coast for a couple of beers to make it worthwhile.

Yeah the 3 i have are 6.00-9 i still have another set of 4 of these on the old trailer the boat is sitting on so once i have that 4th wheel i will have 8 in total to pick the best 4 from than send the other 4 away with the old trailer after i lift the boat off it

Noel 13" wheels are only $50 plus $22 postage on Ebay i found a guy on Facebook with a set of 4, 13" but the side walls were cracked

Guys, the rims are one thing, the tyres altogether different, they actually have an expiry, usually found on the tyre, generally a 5 year life. Don't discount it as usually when a tyre fails it is usually out of date even though it looks perfect.
    Gazza, cracked side walls, are they paying you to take them to the tip.

Dig i was already factoring in new tyres think they were $60 each from GeoTyres i think i will need the 9" wheels for there low height and i already had 2 wheels, not the best size tyres to find but they'll do

The 600X9 tyres will support a lot of weight, much more than just about any 13" around these days, and the diameter is not much different because the 9" are very high profile, I am only changing mine over because of a problem with a couple of the rims and my hubs, there is two types of 600X9 Velox rims, the back of some suit only a specific hub because of a casting ridge, my trailer has both types and I can't interchange them, I got a flat tyre the other day and my spare only fits the rear set of hubs, so I had a root around swapping wheels so I could fit the spare on to get home.

Yeah thats the problem i ran into Noel i think from memory the normal holden hubs are 140mm diameter and there is a rarer to find hub that is i think 120mm they are sold on ebay lucky u mentioned this Noel i totally forgot all about it

and yeah these little wheels can carry 500kgs+ per tyre so my trailer should be rated 2000kg once finished i hope the mechanic rates it for this

combined tyre load rating has to exceed the carrying atm of the trailer, i just cant remember by how much.

13 inch tyres are bloody hard to find i bring 13 inch tyres in from the uk from demon tweaks for the historic car
    might be luckier with light truck types but unfortunately lots of cheap chinese shit about.