Thread: Axiom pro Downscan/sidescan screenshots

Ausfish Platinum Member

Axiom pro Downscan/sidescan screenshots

As most of you are probably aware , I bought a Raymarine network from Chocolatemoose earlier in the year. I think I've already posted up screenshots from the B175M running through the Axiom Pro 9 at 1kw, but I have really spent very little time on the transom-mounted RV-100 transducer that comes packaged with the Axiom. Combines normal 600w sonar with the 3D and ss/ds.
    I'm currently up at Exmouth , doing some fishing before a billfish comp starts tomorrow. Exmouth gulf is a huge stretch of water, and I thought the sidescan might be useful in locating the bait schools the sails are feeding around. Anyway, I did a run over a new installed artificial reef , which consists of some large steel structures spaced out with hollow concrete pyramids placed between them.

You can see some of the concrete blocks in the first shot, then a run pretty well dead centre over one of the large structures, then another where i just passed to one side. I spent a few minutes dialling it in, putting everything to manual.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Axiom pro Downscan/sidescan screenshots

I've been doing some more looking with the side vision/downvision on the Axiom, and starting to really like it. It's so good at showing you what you are just missing, or giving you a truer picture--ie, the bottom reaading looks OK, just, but that can be because only part of the cone is seeing the good bottom, and the averaged return is diminished by the rest of the bottom within the cone being crap.

The shot below was taken driving along the top of the 12 fathom edge north of where I live at trolling speed. It is just flat and weedy on top,but there is a ledge that drops off along where you get the crayfish and fish. You can see it really clearly on the left of shot

Another I liked was a gutter in close to the break. it is an inside edge, little on top, all the action is in the gutter itself.

Oh, and you can ignore the water temp--I'd done a software upgrade the day before, and it decided to turn off the temp input in the NMEA setup menu. had me scratching my head for a bit.

The weather looks like it is coming good Saturday, so I'm going to try running the Medium Chirp and sidescan/downscan together, and look for comparisons.

wow be happy with that - very clear ledge / drop off images

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, the shadowing effect is very clever, throws everything into sharp relief. You compare the bottom of the sidescan with the LHS of the downscan picture--the downscan shows the ledge really clearly as you go over it, then less so as you run along the top of it, with the sidescan showing it really well , then the little crosswise channel through it at the end, visible in both views.