Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little man dressed in gold suit saying "Chaa Ching" Aluminium trailers and there cost

Re: Little man dressed in gold suit saying "Chaa Ching" Aluminium trailers and there

just putting it out there, ive had two of these trailers, very good in everyway except the U-bolts strip easy from over tightning and the surface rust appears quickly on the jockey wheel, i paid about $6500 and $3500 for my trailers, and was happy at that price, remember when they first came out you couldnt get one for under $10,000. wowsers

Re: Little man dressed in gold suit saying "Chaa Ching" Aluminium trailers and there

Same could be said for anything in this world, as many have mentioned it takes profit to run a business, hey Gazza have you ever run a business before and was it successful?

Stop the whinging mate - if you cant afford a professionally built trailer don't whinge about it, also dont whinge when your home made job falls apart from stress cracks and crap welding. A boiler maker spends years to perfect his trade, engineers spend alot of time in design, add marketing, sales agents, business overheads insurances. Boats cost money that is all, everything is over inflated.

Whinge about something important perhaps- how about the idiots we have at the helm governing our and our kids future...

By the way, I work for a company that imports Chinese camper trailers and see first hand the costs involved, I think you’re grossly over estimating how much of a discount we get on materials and products, and under estimating the costs involved in getting one of these trailers on the road.

As people have already mentioned, quit having a whinge, even if these guys made a 400% profit, the fact is is they stuck their neck out to go into business and as far as I’m concerned they can charge what they like, nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy one.

Baitable i ran a successful business for 12 months at 1/4th the cost to buy else where and made several thousands of dollars so yes i have.

I think the benefit of building yourself (if you have the skills and equipment) you will usually get a better, custom made trailer for a similar price, if you don't count your time.

So open up your own trailer business, prove us all wrong and have the last laugh, talk is cheap especially whinging.

Judging from your responses you have very little experience with true business cost. To make a statement of 1/4 of costs incurred here you would have to be pushing out mountainous volumes and supplying world wide that in itself represent huge overheads, I would guess they probably would need to own the bloody manufacturing plant.

All my comments stem from 6 years in my own business so I’m still a rookie but I can spot a false claim about costs a mile away!

I’m with you gazza - are getting ripped off with what I believe second rate products.

For an example the below trailer cost $680 USD each. Admittedly you have to purchase 30 at a time. I don’t what freight would but they are still a long way in front

IMG_0009.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    I’m with you gazza - are getting ripped off with what I believe second rate products.

For an example the below trailer cost $680 USD each. Admittedly you have to purchase 30 at a time. I don’t what freight would but they are still a long way in front

IMG_0009.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    In case you havent been paying attention, it costs a LOT of money to run any kind of business. If your not making a profit, your out. Just do the sums. How many trailers would you sell in a week? How much do you expect to make in a year? Are you renting? How much for a shop/factory fit out? Do you pay salaries? How much up front would you pay for stock? How much would you pay up front for tooling? ( we are not talking about bunnings specials here). Mate i have been doing these sums for 5 yrs and i still find it hard to build a case for a business, any business.
    Jackplates was another one. $193 US but $600-850AUD. By the time you set up and have a small market, you dont get to make any money. I can get 10% buying bank shares with NO HEADACHES. So to justify going in business , you need to make at least 20%. Being in business is not 40hrs/week stuff. You will spend the best part of 60-80hrs per week, for what $20,000 a year? Your dreaming.
    I just did some "whiteboarding" and at $1000 mark up you need to sell 5 trailers per week. Assuming you only want to earn $50,000 a year. I calculate it would cost $150,000 a year to run a very basic outfit with two guys. You would still need to chase up regulations and registration/compliance issues. Did i not mention the $50,000 in capital outlay? Those 30 trailers dont come in by themselves.
    The issue is not how much you mark up, its HOW MANY you can sell. This is not Thailand where they have a " build it and they will come" mentality. You need a market FIRST. Who will buy from you? How much are you going to sell it for? Then you can feed that market. this is just basic 101 business sense.
    Anyone making money in business in australia has my respect cause its bloody hard work. Dont kid yourself its a easy peasy. to get established could take up to 5 yrs. will you have the cashflow to go the distance? will you have the perseverance to last the distance?
    Me? i was self employed for 20yrs.I now drive a truck. Far less hassles and i have a salary at the end of the week.

I built my own ally trailer a while back (build thread on here). Admittedly it was fully custom and used all the best bits like stainless brakes and rotors, 4 alloy mags and stainless guards. I had a fabrication shop bend and weld the guards up as I didn’t have a press that could bend 3mm stainless. But the rest I did myself including independent swing arm suspension. The total cost I stopped counting when it went over 13k.

That said though. For standard type trailers for V hulls or cats I would never buy a ready made one. Especially if it was going to get standard leaf springs etc. Ally us easy enough to weld once you get the hang of it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

There is some good dreaming on this thread.

Build your own Gazza and be done with it. Yep you will save yourself some money and since you are not paying for labour it should turn out pretty good as you don't need to worry about liability insurance, workers compensation, GST, superannuation, bank overdraft, rent and the list goes on.

Now with the statement on materials and how much it cost I will give you a real world example. I had a company building custom aluminum boats and also trailers and not just boat trailers many years ago. It often works out the labour cost was the same as the materials cost this is without adding your profit. I was buying tons of steel and aluminum and my buying price was not closed to what your thinking.

Remember you get what you pay for.

You only need to look at what you are doing with your boat replacing the transom to give you some idea of how much labour is involved. Did you get a quote to have it done ? and if you did, work out how many hours you have spent and compare it. We all want something for nothing and myself fall down at some of the prices of things. Marine electronic is one that gets me going

Importing goods and selling is a mine field also. As people have stated so well on this thread there is a hell of lot more to it that you realise. Yes there are business out there that will try and take as much money off you they can but at the end of the day just walk away.

Let's talk about what we pay for fuel !!!!! hang on we are having another enquiry about that aren't we

This cost me $12,000 for materials.

I personally don't see a problem here, Gazza. DIY is cheaper in 99% cases of everything. Sometimes signifcantly cheaper. The trailer manufacturer is in business of making money, it's not a charity. Hence they are making money, by setting their prices exactly adequate to market demand. Nothing wrong here imo.

As an example I'm currently building a pair of hi-end speakers, all the components and materials are about $7k + my free labour, yet similar speakers retail for $30-50k, because the market is happy with that price. Same goes for boats, yachts, cars, furniture, medical items and food etc.

Hey Gazza,
    WOW, you've copped a battering mate ! Take it on the chin, I'm in business, for 20 odd years, and I cant fault what any of the above posts have said. But I do hear where your coming from. Mate, I'd give my left Knacker to have the skills that you have, to just have the skill set to make your own trailer, has my respect. Make your own Gazza, you will be confident in your own abilities to make a quality product and you will come out on top excluding your labour and that's why your doing what you are doing with everything so far on your project.
    As mentioned, I have skills, but not the skill set for rebuilding a boat, but the more I do, the more respect I have for those in the industry and those with the skills doing as I am. I'm learning so much, which is out of my comfort zone, but I get an understanding of each task once I finish it.
    Again, I fully understand why you made your comments and where you were coming from, then reality checks in.........
    Build the trailer Gazza, not much on tele these days, I'd rather be reading boat project posts !

Col

I don't see why there is no much negativity and lack of support here for you.
    Gazza, don't knock the sellers. You don't have time.
    You get out there and sell some trailers, now, wear the gold suit yourself.
    Come back and give us the biggest 'I told you so' ever.
    Cheers,
    SP
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I don't think Gazza has copped it at all however if he is feeling a little rattled then apologies. Gazza simply made some assertions and assumptions on margins and those on here with years and years of business experience particularly at a import/wholesale and a manufacturing level attempted to enlighten him by sharing there knowledge an the finer details of costs and margins and how getting those two key components wrong is certain killer for any business before it has even started.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Guy's these trailer companies are not selling 3 or 4 trailers a week they are going out of stock and taking back orders.. the guys who do 3 or 4 trailers a week are welded and engineered pieces of rolling architect those are not the ones i am talking about, i am talking about the companies that are wacking trailers together in a couple to a few hours the type that are selling out of stock the reason they are going out of stock is due to demand and so they charge whatever they feel they can rather than a moderate price that covers all there cost of daily running plus a little bit extra, not a "its worth this much i'll throw another 2k on top for good measures"