Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18.5ft Boat needs a new transom

Re: 18.5ft Boat needs a new transom

I have put it on Gumtree and the reason I put in at $13k is that always someone will offer a lowball bid, if someone is reasonable I will negotiate but I won't give it away. No matter what the price is advertised for they will always offer much less than the advertised price. Human nature I suppose! In the end I will probably just part it out.

I think it’s a reasonable price especially given I’ve been recently looking at boats around 10k in WA. It has a near new trailer and the engine is late model with low hours 👍🏿

Just an update on my boat, looks like all that stress and stuffing around of being told I had a dodgy transom was for nothing, had a guy from a company that does insurance reports as well as mechanical and fiberglass repairs look at it as he was looking for a project boat for a client of his, he checked it out, said there was nothing wrong with the transom. He did a condition report on everything and now it is insured and registered again, so hopefully I will be out in it again soon, provided life doesn't get in the way.... again!

Which is what I thought all along anyway as I used to do boat repairs in my younger years, but as I can't do a boat inspection report I have to comply with the insurance companies requirements, and I won't risk using a boat that doesn't have insurance!

Still going to sell it but at $21K instead of the $12K which is a much more realistic price, in the meantime I might as well use it till it gets sold.

good one , who ever told you about the transom , please remind them to stick to their day job .... at least you can use it again.

Thanks Catshark, but that's life I suppose, anyone it's done and in the past, lesson learned and now time to move forward and look to catching a fish or two!

Cheers

You now have 50/50% weather its good or rooted, after that bloke who hired a professional to inspect his boat and it was all rotted have no business in the industry
    There is one test u can do and that is to buy a probe it measures the moisture in the plywood a shop on fb recommended it but the meter cost over $500 cant recall the name but i can look it up

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    There is one test u can do and that is to buy a probe it measures the moisture in the plywood a shop on fb recommended it but the meter cost over $500 cant recall the name but i can look it up
    No need to look it it up, I checked it before I accepted it and I was satisfied that it was sound, otherwise I wouldn't have got it. I mentioned before I used to have my own business building/ repairing boats in my younger years so have a reasonable idea of what to look for hull wise, but I am unable to sign off insurance condition reports so have to rely on others to do that.

Unfortunately the guy who was assigned to do the inspection report was a young guy and possibly an apprentice. Whilst he may know how to fix engines I doubt that he had a lot of experience in building/repairing fiberglass boats, very few mechanics do. He wrote up a couple other silly things that he "marked up that were faulty", ie: battery needed to be replaced, reason was, it's not a "marine battery". I have a 130A AGM battery in it!!, and also that my bilge pump was faulty and wasn't working.

I told his boss when I delivered it that I would show him where everything is and how it works, his reply was, don't worry our guys are trained to look for these things and will work it out!. My bilge pump is wired permanently to the battery via an auto float switch, and it is in plain sight, all he had to do was flick up the float, so obviously they aren't. Anyway it's all in the past now and I am able to take it out on the water which is the main thing, although with that cyclone east of us it will be a couple of weeks before I can take it out.