Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haines 1600SO Build Thread

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Haines 1600SO Build Thread

Well, hardly normal operation, I wouldn't be basing any opinions on their value on that scenario. I don't rely on the catch mechanism to hold it when trailing, there is tension on the winch cable, and the top part where you attach the winch hook would be as strong as a normal eye. And if a boat is not actually strapped down really well, it will usually end up off the trailer in a bad accident, regardless of what the point of attachment is at the bow.

Ausfish Silver Member

Don’t mean to be rude guys, but this is a build thread...
    I don’t recall asking anyone for opinions on how I should fix it.
    Only put this up as a photographic record of the build.
    If you like what I’m doing, thank you.
    If you don’t, I’m sorry you feel that way.
    I have been doing this for years, and thought some of you less experienced guys would pick up a few hints and maybe get up the nerve to give it a go.
    But please guys - it is a build thread.
    I have actually agonised about posting this, but it needs to be said.
    I’m sure there’s a thread in here someplace about the preceeding discussion.

That being said, if I have offended anybody, please accept my apologies.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, we have gone off-topic, and are actually discussing this in parallel with another thread. So, please keep up the build progress reports.

well said sir, accepted and back on course.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Getting closer and closer...

Finished the uopholstery today - I lined the side pockets, so now it looks complete:

IMG_3214.jpg IMG_3215.jpg IMG_3216.jpg

Plumbed in bilge pump, fitted oil bottle and battery, fitted the battery switch and tidied all the wiring.
    A bit of time uncrossing wires, cables, pipes and hoses, fitting cable tie mounts and generally making it logical, gave a satisfying result.
    I'll fit the back seat today on pull-apart hinges.
    IMG_3212.jpg IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3213.jpg

Next job is to fit all the deck hardware, then that should just about leave only the gearbox rebuild to finish.

Hopefully before Christmas...

Brilliant job, looks great.
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Silver Member

Quick update:

Bling!
    IMG_3275.jpg

Wiring...
    Have I mentioned that I hate wiring...
    IMG_3277.jpg IMG_3278.jpg

Electrics will be done soon, then I just have to wait for gearbox then get it registered and insured.

I may see if I can arrange some striping...

Giddyup58, have loved just following this thread, but it might be might be my system as I cant see the first photo "Bling!" as it just comes up as Attachment 118336. Is it possible for you to repost it, cheers.

Sam
    thanks buddy, looks a treat.

Ausfish Silver Member

Wiring is thankfully done, but for fitting the new gauges which are enrout from USA.
    I used an LED removeable post for the stern/steaming/anchor light, but the deck has such a heavy curve, I needed to put in a teak block to squate things up:
    IMG_3287.jpgIMG_3288.jpg

Pretty happy with that, but it would have looked better had the base been white.

Next, I fitted the bilge switch and the hour meter.
    The Mercury hour meter was going to be about US$45.00, so I put a local eBay sourced generic hour meter on the side combing under the bilge switch, away from the dashboard gauges. Doesn't look too silly.
    IMG_3281.jpg IMG_3285.jpg
    Notice the alloy trim fitted in the 2nd picture.

The deck bicolour was a Chinese item off ebay, bought locally for twice the price, but it arrived in 4 days, not 4 months.
    It's LED, it's bright, it works and it looks great, so that's job done.
    IMG_3292.jpg

Then I had to choose a switch panel.
    All the commercially available stuff is so big and ugly, I paid a little extra and put in this 6 switch membrane panel:
    IMG_3286.jpg

Really easy to fit, looks great and easy to use. Another tick...

I fitted alloy angle to clean up the inside lower edge of the combings, which presented the perfect position to mount 5m of LED lights
    And yes, they do all the colours of the rainbow, fade, flash and all that jazz. But they do look really cool...
    IMG_3293.jpg

The post and the straps in the last pics are to mount the boat cover over.
    I've gone as far as I can in the garage. Just need to get the stripes worked out and the gauges in, so it's time to let the car back in.

What else is left to do?
    What's wrong with this picture?
    IMG_3291.jpg

The garage is looking too neat?
    I've seen a few mercs that look like that on the Daly when they've decided to take a shortcut through Brown's rock bar.

class finish of the alloy trim.
    teak base on stern light class.
    cant get over that shine on the hull.
    Is that a new prototype stealth lower leg thats invisible to fish. i like it.

Ausfish Silver Member

Christmas came early to my place.

These turned up on Wednesday:
    IMG_3308.jpg

I spent the day yesterday fitting and wiring them.
    I wanted the lights to switch independently to the ignition, and that was fairly straight forward.
    IMG_3315.jpg

Tidying up the wiring was challenging given the tight position, but that too worked out satisfactorily:
    IMG_3316.jpg

I collected the mythical gearbox this morning and managed to get it faired and painted this afternoon.
    Will have a go at fitting it tomorrow - that's what workshop manuals are for - so hopefully, all the mechanicals will be finished.
    The best laid plans of mice and men...

Found a guy to do the GT stripe over the deck and the chine lines as per factory.
    The 1st quote I got was for over $1,200!!
    He wanted to print them out on his printer and thought the price "very reasonable".

The guy who is doing the job wants $88 for the vinyl (close enough colour match), and $88 per hour to fit. He reckons it will take an hour or so.

Bargain! Yes, boat is booked in for 2nd week of January.

It appears that Richard at Australian Boat Windows at Redcliffe thinks that he may have the mould for the old 1600SO bubbledeck windscreen, so I'm quite keen to get that on.

Next year...

Ausfish Silver Member

Got the gearbox on today - not as difficult as I thought.
    Hardest part was finding all of the nuts, bolts and washers that have been moved 200 times in the last few years.
    But they were found and the box is fitted.

I pulled the oil tank off the powerhead and gave it a good clean, ran new proprietary Mercury oil hoses, added new oil, bled the system, put a bit of fuel in the tote tank, pumped it up, 8 seconds of choke and ... you guessed it - It roared to life for the first time since being reconditioned over the past 4 years.

IMG_3332.jpg IMG_3334.jpg

Hopefully I can get the boat and trailer registered this coming Monday.

Not sure how I'm going to get it under the tree for Tuesday, but I'm very pleased that it all came together for Xmas.

Haines 1600SO Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    Got the gearbox on today - not as difficult as I thought.
    Hardest part was finding all of the nuts, bolts and washers that have been moved 200 times in the last few years.
    But they were found and the box is fitted.

I pulled the oil tank off the powerhead and gave it a good clean, ran new proprietary Mercury oil hoses, added new oil, bled the system, put a bit of fuel in the tote tank, pumped it up, 8 seconds of choke and ... you guessed it - It roared to life for the first time since being reconditioned over the past 4 years.

IMG_3332.jpg IMG_3334.jpg

Hopefully I can get the boat and trailer registered this coming Monday.

Not sure how I'm going to get it under the tree for Tuesday, but I'm very pleased that it all came together for Xmas.
    Easy. Move the tree into the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app bye the way - good job and well done

What could go wrong.......................