Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Haines 1600SO Build Thread

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines 1600SO Build Thread

Took the Haines for a run yesterday.
    i only had a 27” Laser2 spare, but it was way too much pitch. Couldn’t get over 4200rpm, so rather than hole a piston, we put it back on the trailer and are now looking for a 21” (skiing)and a 23”(cruising).
    everything else went perfectly.
    Nice little boat.

Ausfish Silver Member

Tried a 21" 4 blade Trophy Plus with disappointing results.
    I was sure the engine felt like it only had 100hp, so my 'ol mate Cyril to the rescue who diagnosed little or no fuel to the lower cylinders.

IMG_3350.jpg

Pulled the carbies and reed valves off. No broken reed valves.
    IMG_3351.jpg IMG_3352.jpg

The top 2 carbs were not perfect, but not so bad as to cause the severe lack of power, but number 3 was totally choked, corroded and inoperative..
    IMG_3353.jpg IMG_3356.jpg IMG_3357.jpg

Couple hours with carbie cleaner, ally bright and other assorted acids, and the bottom carbie was finally clean enough to reassemble with new needle and seat and float kit.
    IMG_3358.jpg

Just need to get them tomorrow, which may present a problem as so many places are closed until next week...

I'm actually thinking about soaking all the jets and emulsion tubes in Coca Cola...
    Or having the Coke myself with my spicy mate Captain Morgan...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check your tank for water giddyup.

Coke cola wont do anything to that carburetor the only thing that will work is hydrochloric acid and even than that will only clean what u can see it wont clean the passages i have been down this path i tried everything possible when u have a sunk carburetor like that its a replacement job

Ausfish Silver Member

Allybright, high pressure rinse and blow-dry at 100psi, then repeat several times, and the carbie came up a treat.
    The Coke was only good for The Captain.

I managed to get the relevant gaskets and a new needle and seat over the Xmas/New year break and hey - 200hp!

Totally different boat with double the horsepower - of course.

Found a Trophy Plus 4 blade 21" on the net and it fair leapt out of the water with that on, during last Saturday's test in the Brisbane river.

I found the conditions a little rough for a full speed run in an unknown boat, but I was happy with 75kph @ 4200rpm.
    My son cracked 80kph, but he didn't check the tacho. He reckons there's still plenty to come.

IMG_3363.jpg

The stripe guy reckons he'll do the chine and GT stripes in the next week or so, and Richard from Australian Marine Windows wasn't back at work as of this morning, so I'll just have to wait a while longer for the windscreen.

So. a little more fettling with props and engine heights and it should be done. But is a boat ever finished?

you should get a fair bit more out of it, my neighbour has a 200hp yamaha on a similar size and age haines, and it gets around the 100kph. max rpm would be around 5.5k, so you should have another 1300 rpm to play with!

Ausfish Silver Member

100kph?
    Yippee-ki-ai !!!

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

The little SO is nearly done.

Big thanks to Richard at Australian Marine Windows at Clontarf for the new windscreen.
    He had an original 50yr old 1600SO screen and frame in his stockpile, which he faithfully copied and fitted:

IMG_3407.jpgIMG_3409.jpg

Raised the engine 1 hole and completely flushed out and re-bled the hydraulic steering to try to cure the dreaded chine walking at the top end.

Here is the now default sight of the little SO - disappearing down the driveway behind one of my boys car's.

IMG_3413.jpg

And here it is, put to bed...

IMG_3419.jpg

It's going to the stripe guy on Monday, so that will be the last of the cosmetics finished.

Mechanically, I have found a 21" Laser 2 to try and I think I need to come up another hole and maybe a power bleed of the hydraulics to defeat the chine walk.
    I already have solid engine mounts, offshore bull horn, near new helm unit and new kevlar hoses.
    So if that doesnt fix it, I guess I just need to take brave pills, keep trimming out and correcting and hopefully "drive through" the chine walking.
    Then again, maybe a less powerful motor. I'm far too old to be brave, and 50kts is more than fast enough...

50 kts far out good one , tell you what that windscreen caps off a smick looking boat man love the low profile full screen , draws the eye to the cool steering wheel and dash.. quality work well done

Ausfish Silver Member

Took the little Haines to the stripes guy today.
    The pinstripes were the exact dimensions of the original stripes in the gelcoat:

Attachment 118582

Here's the end result:
    IMG_3424.jpg IMG_3433.jpg

It is exactly as per the 50 year old original...
    And the stripes are the same width as the piping in the upholstery, so it makes sense.

We put the GT stripe on and removed it immediately.
    It just didn't match with anything. Just a big splash of orange without any reference to anything else...

So thats it.

Finished, and I couldn't be happier with the end result.

Remember, this is how it started:

IMG_1927.jpg IMG_1937.jpg

Bring on the next project!

congrats on finished project, been a good read this thread and the results speak for themselves, that original orange was somewhat bland, heaps better with the new paint looks sharp indeed. you should expect delays when launching because dudes will want to come over and say high, its certainly a head turner and credit to ya , you know your craft.