Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overhead options

overhead options

G'day folks - gotta love a bit of rain - hope it is getting where it is really needed tho!
    Just chasing some ideas / options for some new smaller profile overhead reels.
    Scenario 1 - 4-6kg stick, 12-15lb braid, 15-30m of water bottom bashing, blades and vibes chasing snapper, trag, pearlies, parrot etc.
    Scenario 2 - 6-8kag stick, 20-40lb braid, 30-60m of water light jigging with bigger blades, 7 in plastics, livies and jigs.
    Price range up to about $400ea.

Exact stats in scenarios may change a little ie line class but generally this will be the options.
    Currently using TR2000 x 2 and a GT320.
    Both have done the job but need to be upgraded - wife is getting a new kitchen and I'm managing the bill paying, might be some room to move in there somewhere
    Look forward to opinions!
    Cheers
    Troy

Re: overhead options

Just saw the post on the Fin Nor Primal 10HS - data looks good, like the idea of it being so compact and easy to fit in the hand. I have used a number of overheads but always gone for the level wind model - Lazy I know but am open to all options.

I have a FinNor PR10HS loaded with Diawa Saltiga 12 ply PE3 riding a Shimano Bluewater Signature Jig OH 400gm PE5-8! Use it out chasing reds and trout. Only 170cm, so easy to manage on the boat with canopy.
    Can’t recommend it enough!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Cheers Sharkbait - can't say I have ever used a FinNor reel before but they look the goods and the price is sweet as well.
    Thanks for your opinion!
    Troy

Also have a FinNor Lethal Lever Drag LTL 16 Two Speed on a matching rod which I hardly use as I prefer the feel of the Primal! Just sits so nicely in the hand!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Have you thought about a good bait caster as it would suit your depths easy and not as chunky of a reel
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Hi jsmfun - not really considered one but open to all options - got one in mind??
    Cheers,
    Troy

I use a shimano tranx 500hg and a saltiga 15 quite a lot, the Tranx at those line classes is a bit heavy. They do have a 300 and 400 with a power handle that would be more suitable. Only thing i don't like about the baitcast versions of the tranx is the level wind doesnt look as robust as the 500 model. Otherwise there is something like a torium 14hga which comes way under budget, has a suitable retrieve rate and could crossover uses. That next band of reels are in the 500+ range.

To be honest I am using saragosas a little more than the overheads at the moment. Don't know why, you can still run the line out through your fingers with the spin gear to feel the hit on the drop.

Fin Nor Primal 10HS love it , doubt you will regret the purchase if you go that way..

Add the little Daiwa LD series reels to the mix. I've got a LD 20 which has been good - roughly round bait caster size with a power handle - no level wind though.

The Primal has done battle with five Black Jew over the 25kg mark since its purchase and it was paired to a Pen Battalion 15-25kg Rod at those times and what an ease getting those fish to the surface.
    No offshore stuff as yet but sure it would suffice easy.

Maybe a shimano curado K you would fit 220m of 15-20 lb braid perfect for a 4-6 kg outfit in upto 40m
    with 5-6kg of drag which would be ample for that outfit on a nice shimano jewel 6 foot 6 3-7kg baitcaster rod. .
    total price about $400 you can light jig,toss soft plastics to tuna and still throw lures can not go wrong
    it would be very comfortable to use all day as well
    just explore your options
    happy days ahead summer is coming

I use several Shimano TLD 20/ Shimano Tyrnos 16 both great reels and both very well priced just looking to pick up one off the new Penn Fatham reels will probably get the 2 speed model.

Okuma metaloid are great little reels if you can find one. Weight about 400g for the 5s and built tough as.

Smile Re: overhead options

Or , you can get one of these for just under ninety dollarres free postage. I just ordered one see what the value is like..Cant help myself !!! , have to get the Missus to give me a good spanking
    Attached Images Attached Images