Thread: Problem with 90hp mercury 4 stroke.

Problem with 90hp mercury 4 stroke.

I have a 2014, 90hp four stroke Mercury with 200hours on it.Recently I slowed down to go under a bridge and on acceleration it just died as if it ran out of fuel. On examination it had zero compression. The drive cog to the cam shaft was loose. I have spoken with 4 experienced Mercury mechanics and they all said that they have never heard of it before. It did have a minor harmonics problem that I fixed. Any comments on why it happened would be much appreciated.

Re: Problem with 90hp mercury 4 stroke.

Probably need a bit more in-depth investigation to determine how bad it is, might not be real bad, but it might be.

Thanks for your input mate.

Is it an interference engine?hopefully not.
    If not it might be ok. Zero compression because your valves aren’t opening/closing correctly.
    Woukd someone have taken cam drive cog off prior and not put in back on correct? Does it have a key or tapered?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Could be anything, but with the limited info, it's just stabbing in the dark.

No internal damage. I'm more concerned as to why it happened. Could be bad if it died at the wrong time. I was lucky I had a mate with me to tow me back but that might not always be the case.

Bit hard to follow this, are you saying the engine is OK? what about the no compression business? if you are just asking why something came loose, then it's just a case of sometimes things happen for unknown reasons, never torqued from new? was moved during routine service?