Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2 forum members censored on THT

Re: 2 forum members censored on THT

Pretty sure your allowed almost anything here if you get the paper work done.
    Landline had a segment on .50 cal in WA and I’ve heard of people with full auto at ssaa meets.
    The thought of an Australian male living in Logan with a legal semi auto gun scares the shit out of me however.

Guns eh, emotional topic for some. My opinion only
    First up I don't think America's laws would do well here now at all, with the current ice and suicide epidemic we have.
    You can all work out why on that pretty easily, but suicide by gun a lot easier when depressed than any other method, split second decision, tragic. Ice, well anyone who has seen a seemingly normal person deteriorate so quick and have episodes on ice will know that could end badly.
    I don't mind today's system, I have shot on properties out Coonabarabran way in the past, access to a property close by where rabbits and foxes are targeted. My mates have licences and guns legally and do the right thing and I believe their right to do so, it is shit easy, as mentioned before, to get into it if you are a cleanskin.
    Crims will be crims and do what they want and get or steal what they want, police do their job and take care of that, will never be 100% but it's not that bad in OZ.
    Many years ago as a kid I remember the old man had a 22, and sawn off shotty for a while in his bedroom wardrobe, I used to sneak in and suss them out. He was heavily involved in cycling and the shotty was the start gun lol, think the 22 was passed down.
    Maybe what we have could be better, but I think we have it pretty much better than most countries.
    And growing up with slug guns was pretty awesome.
    Cheers
    Muz

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Pretty sure your allowed almost anything here if you get the paper work done.
    Landline had a segment on .50 cal in WA and I’ve heard of people with full auto at ssaa meets.
    The thought of an Australian male living in Logan with a legal semi auto gun scares the shit out of me however.
    You "heard" wrong. Fully automatic weapons can not be legally owned by members of the public in Australia - unless they hold a collectors license and the firearm has been made permanently inoperable. I also suspect you just offended a lot of law abiding citizens that live in Logan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    yes juggernaut, and . Thats the dumbest arguement the rife association ever put out and people still put a great deal of store in it. Its a non sense. The bullet shoots itself ha?
    My mind doesnt walk, my feet do.
    My mind doesnt drive my hands and feet do.
    My mind doesnt pull the trigger, my finger does. want anymore innane mantra?
    Mate, never pull that arguement out cause it so patently stupid. leave it for the yanks.
    The actual phrase is "Guns don't kill people - people kill people". Much like any other inanimate object used as a weapon - someone has to use it but hey - never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I think the landline episode, if it is what I saw. was a landowner creating a shooting range for High Cal / long range weapons to subsidise his farming efforts? I think they have the weapons and tourists / visitors come to shoot. No idea on legalities etc
    Cheers

Before anyone thinks i am a total wowser, I can see a reason for owning a gun in very remote locations or dangerous regions. In australia, thats very very rare indeed. So really we are arguing over something we dont normally experience. But hey, I like all spurious BS arguements for owning a gun, it makes for interesting shouting matches.
    So you don't consider target shooting a legitimate sport??

Consider this - there is a pretty well funded (and some could argue growing courtesy of the leftard movement of tree huggers) group who don't consider fishing to be a legitimate sport - they consider it animal cruelty. Out of the population in Queensland as per a quick google search - 15% fish recreationally. Imagine if you will, that 51% decided the tree huggers were right because of a few bad eggs that don't do the right thing and then an opportunistic pollie (what other kind is there) took it to the polls as an election platform. See where this is headed. Sound familiar to an extent - it should. Should we be worried - yep because it is already happening.

Now before anyone goes off half cocked about but fishing never killed anyone ( hang on - Rock fishing is in the list of the most dangerous sports in Australia - not shooting - huh ) , this is the thing that I find most concerning about what happened in Australia with the gun buy back /gun laws. Simply because a voting percentage decided on an emotive issue (that a lot of them new very little about apart from what was presented / misrepresented by the media), laws were passed that basically stripped law abiding citizens of their rights. We have gone down that slope once now - the precedent is set.

Lovely, two issues you touched on but didnt cover very well. Yes most criminals have guns stolen from legitimate owners or smuggled in. The stolen guns issue is easy to solve. No guns issued, no guns stolen. Obviously thats totally unrealistic but limiting the availability limits the number stolen. Same arguement for smuggling. You cannot run from the statistics on gun deaths between the two countries. Australians are earthlings and the americans are the aliens lol.
    where is this “most criminals have guns stolen from legitimate owners” information coming from?

There are more legal guns in circulation right now (and I would argue black market ones that aren’t stolen also) than there was in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56
    The second about self defense of their home. Unless you carry a gun 24/7 its also a nonsense. The crims are waiting for you to put your gun away before barging in, hahahaha its a laugh a minute scenario.
    As others have said its mass psychosis in america which we dont have here. Most aussies have a more laidback attitude to reasonable laws. Compare the two countries and its not a hard decision for the majority. There are exceptions yea, but we dont normally go ballistic over them. " I plead my rights to the first amendmenbt" or what ever would go down real well in court here, hahahahaha
    What is this non-sense you are writing here?

You call this reasonable?

Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Like 13 gun massacres in the 18 years prior to ‘96 (4 or more killed), zero (1 maybe LIndt?) since.

What is it you want now that you haven’t got?
    may want to check those stats again. There’s been 7 mass shootings since.

2 forum members censored on THT

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I think I’m right, we made it 21 years without a mass shooting until Margaret River this year apparently. The term ‘massacre’ (4 or more by a single shooter) is the defining constraint.

I found this interesting. There is an eerie linear correlation simply between gun ownership rates vs gun deaths over the planet. In the absence of any other influence, even America is close to the median - just a fair way up the chart. It seems we will never control that ratio given all the various political climates around the planet can’t, and can only effect change by lowering one variable which is what we are doing here.
    Im not anti guns, but I do not see ownership as a basic right. I am comfortable that lives are being saved by the laws we have and that I should be vetted by society should I want one and that the type of rifle should be controlled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    nil carborundum illegitimi

yes juggernaut, and . Thats the dumbest arguement the rife association ever put out and people still put a great deal of store in it. Its a non sense. The bullet shoots itself ha?
    My mind doesnt walk, my feet do.
    My mind doesnt drive my hands and feet do.
    My mind doesnt pull the trigger, my finger does. want anymore innane mantra?
    Mate, never pull that arguement out cause it so patently stupid. leave it for the yanks.
    Jesus Andy did you think I was serious....guess SteveJ and you missed the emicons.

The irony is my comment came from an American standup comedian. I also posted a similar comment on an American boating forum in a gun related thread. And the responses I got from the American boat forum were quite different.......they saw through to the humour. Pardon the pun but maybe some here are too trigger happy!

FWIW I'm neither pro nor anti gun. But i'm reasonably happy with the laws in our society as they are at the moment. Sure I played around with guns in my youth when guns laws were relaxed, including semi auto's but got tired of shooting stuff for no purpose with my uncle, brother and his friends. Sure farmers wanted wildlife controlled, but I left it for others to do in the end. My brother is still heavily into guns and is a competitor at a local regional competition shooting 303 calibre rifles over 900 and 1000 yards. Helped him load thousands of catridges over the years based on the Hornady reloading handbook.

IIRC one thing that stood out in my mind after the Port Arthur masacre gun buy back scheme was the reduction in suicides by guns. Further, a fair proportion of homicides by firearms in the US are by people known to the victims. In both these situations, it seems the easy access to guns contributed to deaths by killing of oneself or the killing of family, friends etc known to the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Lovey, your banner heading about democracy says all we need to know about your outlook in life. Thats fine, i can deal with that. But please, dont put forward the exception as the rule. All your saying is my rights trample your rights. So starts the spiral downwards.
    This self defence arguement is BS unless you have a gun on you 24/7. with your hand on it 24/7. Life dont work that way and crims dont think that way. No doubt in america where the Gambini run wild, it may have some benefit but again, if some one pulls a gun or knife on you, he's not going to say wait, i'll give you ten seconds get your gun out before i shoot or stab you. Its not like a western where you both stare at each other for five minutes and then race for the gun. Most gun crimes dont work that way. You posted the exception .
    In any case , its just perceived fear. The stats show you are more likely to get killed in a car or heart attack than physical threats
    If you want to live in paranoia 24/7, you dont need to advocate it here, america already has it for those who are keen. Between attitude and rules, we live a fairly peacefull existence here in australia. Why would you advocate to march more towards their madness?

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    I think I’m right, we made it 21 years without a mass shooting until Margaret River this year apparently. The term ‘massacre’ (4 or more by a single shooter) is the defining constraint.

I found this interesting. There is an eerie linear correlation simply between gun ownership rates vs gun deaths over the planet. In the absence of any other influence, even America is close to the median - just a fair way up the chart. It seems we will never control that ratio given all the various political climates around the planet can’t, and can only effect change by lowering one variable which is what we are doing here.
    Im not anti guns, but I do not see ownership as a basic right. I am comfortable that lives are being saved by the laws we have and that I should be vetted by society should I want one and that the type of rifle should be controlled.
    i typed out a long and detailed reply but for some reason the screen refreshed itself and I lost it. So here’s a much abbreviated version.

Ah the “gun death” chestnut. Taking into account police shootings and suicides. Correlation doesn’t always mean causation. Doesn’t really give us the detail on gun related murder (which is what so many are concerned with in this debate) does it? Japan has almost no gun deaths and almost no guns but some of the highest suicide rates in the world. If they had guns the “gun deaths” would go through the roof and still probably the same amount of people would die.

The stats still don’t stack up. A number of the “massacres” you’re talking about involved weapons that weren’t even banned in 1996, and a some were with multiple shooters.

I am sure that chart would look eerily different if it compared gun ownership with “massacres” as defined by your definition but why define the subject to “massacre” and not just “mass shooting”? Does an incident where 3 died and two people survived but were still shot make it irrelevant?

Since 1996 we’ve had around 8 mass shootings, 3 of which meet your massacre definition.

Lovey, your banner heading about democracy says all we need to know about your outlook in life. Thats fine, i can deal with that. But please, dont put forward the exception as the rule. All your saying is my rights trample your rights. So starts the spiral downwards.
    This self defence arguement is BS unless you have a gun on you 24/7. with your hand on it 24/7. Life dont work that way and crims dont think that way. No doubt in america where the Gambini run wild, it may have some benefit but again, if some one pulls a gun or knife on you, he's not going to say wait, i'll give you ten seconds get your gun out before i shoot or stab you. Its not like a western where you both stare at each other for five minutes and then race for the gun. Most gun crimes dont work that way. You posted the exception .
    In any case , its just perceived fear. The stats show you are more likely to get killed in a car or heart attack than physical threats
    If you want to live in paranoia 24/7, you dont need to advocate it here, america already has it for those who are keen. Between attitude and rules, we live a fairly peacefull existence here in australia. Why would you advocate to march more towards their madness?
    Where am I saying that my rights trample your rights?

This opinion you have regarding needing a gun on you 24/7 is just that. An opinion. One that doesn’t stack up to any real scrutiny. There are countless incidents where people have defended themselves (or didn’t really have to once they were armed) with a safely stored firearm. I’m not even making any sort of argument with reference to “self defence” being a reason for ownership ( though I think that argument can still be made easily for another time). All I am saying is: I think it’s BS that a government would come down hard on someone that is a legal firearm owner, and that firearm owner uses his or her firearms to defend themselves. Which is actually what is happening in Australia.

I am not advocating anything like a march towards the American “madness”. Go read what I’m actually writing again slowly and try to do so without making unfounded links with things I’m not actually saying. I think your point regarding perceived fear could be said about you and those on your side of the fence with regards to gun ownership. Your likelihood comparison certainly fits the bill here.

Of course a firearm being used to kill ( or even wound and irrevocably affect forever ) 1 person is fine. It’s only a massacre we need to get worried about. Got it.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

As a kid 15-16 years old me and my mates use to sit outside the gun shop and to our surprise on a few occassions guys walking in would take our money and buy us slugs drop them off to us waiting outside on our bmx bikes bloody crazy stuff when u think about it but this was the 1990's