Thread: 2 forum members censored on THT

Re: 2 forum members censored on THT

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    and thats a load of horseshit

but hey everyones allowed an opinion
    No.....thats a fact.....well unless you use the gun as a club

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    The exception is always trotted out to disprove or disparage the reality. How many people can you kill with a fishing rod and how many fish can you kill with a gun? I think that puts it in perspective.

Too right there Andy - and the anti gun lobby have become experts at it. What percentage of legally owned semi automatic hunting / sporting rifles had been used in mass shootings in Australia and yet they are now banned to the majority of Australian shooters - and yet the crims still seem to be able to get them. To be honest mate, I've never tried to kill someone with my fishing rod (sure it's doable though) - or my gun. Maybe that's just me though hey - exception to the rule and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    The exception is always trotted out to disprove or disparage the reality. How many people can you kill with a fishing rod and how many fish can you kill with a gun? I think that puts it in perspective.
    Youre missing the point. If someone wants to go on a mass shooting spree, they’ll get a gun. If they’re willing to plan it, Lindt Cafe shows that even on a terror watch list you can get a banned gun. Hell not that long ago a cop was killed with a fully automatic weapon. They’ve been banned for donkeys. Taking guns off of law abiding citizens helps no one.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Criminals will always have access to weapons, you just can't argue with that, but, as long as the main stream population doesn't have a dozen guns for "protection" then it lessens the possibility of someone just getting pissed off and shooting the neighbour or someone who cut them off in the car, as I said, I am not anti guns, my son has a couple, and so does one of my brothers, but I am thankful for the stand that was taken on gun control. I guess the difference between using (say) a car for mass harm is, with a gun, you can do it from a long distance, hidden from view, someone with a knife or the like, has to get close, and the chances of mass destruction of life is slim, that said, it's a very emotive issue, especially in the USA.
    If someone is going to lose their shit and kill the neighbour or someone that’s cut them off, It can hardly be argued that banning semi-automatic weapons is going to prevent that. Mixing these two (blown gasket and mass murder) clouds the issue.

Guns that are still allowed with very little trouble to acquire can kill from quite a distance. I have two that are good out to a mile. It’s emotive because people that aren’t “gun people” are quite happy to see the rights of other taken away. How does that quote go? First they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew......?

Yes true, no system is perfect, but I personally prefer what we have compared to a lot of other places, does anyone even consider the person next to them in a shopping centre has a gun?
    Again. Stop clouding the issue with unrealistic comparisons. No one is advocating legalising concealed carry for the masses in Australia.

In the US mind you, I think anyone living there and not doing a high level concealed carry course and doing so is doing themselves a disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Taking guns off of law abiding citizens helps no one.
    Not entirely true - it helped little johnny - was the single greatest vote buying exercise executed under his leadership. Cost the Aussie tax payer a motsa and unless I am mistaken, accomplished sweet FA in controlling the number of guns in the country - gun sales increased after the buy back - they just weren't semi auto. Makes me laugh when I think about the capabilities of some of the club shooters I have shot against over the years - no semi auto needed. They could outshoot me in a rapid fire event even though they had to manually load rounds one at a time. No way in hell I could keep up with a bolt action.

I’d rather take my chance running from a person with a single shooter than someone spraying a full cartridge in a matter of seconds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I think our system is a pretty good compromise. Police checks, etc, controlling military grade weapons etc. If you want a rifle you can have one, just jump through some hoops. The stats on shootings in this country don’t lie and I like them. Most illegal guns have been stolen from law abiding citizens unfortunately.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Maybe the issue is mentality, we (here in Aus) don't have the generational gun mentality (remember I am NOT anti gun) I would say most of our population would not have a gun even if there is no gun laws, sure plenty would, but more would not, (in my opinion) as can be seen, even here it's a very emotive issue, in a way I guess the laws were made for the majority of the population, whether that was from tree hugging wowsers, or just a wild guess I don't know, but it is a debate that will never end in almost every country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    I’d rather take my chance running from a person with a single shooter than someone spraying a full cartridge in a matter of seconds!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who wouldn’t? That doesn’t change the fact that prior to 1996 you were statistically more likely to win the big lottery than you were to ever be involved in an incident involving a semi-automatic weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    I think our system is a pretty good compromise. Police checks, etc, controlling military grade weapons etc. If you want a rifle you can have one, just jump through some hoops. The stats on shootings in this country don’t lie and I like them. Most illegal guns have been stolen from law abiding citizens unfortunately.
    The stats on shootings prior to 1996 don’t lie either. The stats in NZ don’t lie either. They still allow semi-automatic weapons and even encourage hunters to use silencers and they don’t have a spait of mass shootings either. Australia always was an incredibly low risk of such an occurrence and gun violence was on a significant downward trend prior to Port Arther.

Maybe the issue is mentality, we (here in Aus) don't have the generational gun mentality (remember I am NOT anti gun) I would say most of our population would not have a gun even if there is no gun laws, sure plenty would, but more would not, (in my opinion) as can be seen, even here it's a very emotive issue, in a way I guess the laws were made for the majority of the population, whether that was from tree hugging wowsers, or just a wild guess I don't know, but it is a debate that will never end in almost every country.
    Completely agree. Australia never really had a mentality like that of the US. Even though we did have quite the number of guns available for mass shootings they were very rare. I think the larger difference in mentality is the likelihood that an Aussie would actually resort to using a gun in an offensive manner.

Please dont get get me wrong though. I am not advocating US style laws here. Extensive back ground checks, storage requirements etc are very reasonable requirements. I do however believe a person has a right to use a firearm in self defence in their own home. Right now the Australian state and federal governments would rather see all of us die in a home invasion than to use a firearm to defend ourselves. That’s just absurd.

yes juggernaut, and . Thats the dumbest arguement the rife association ever put out and people still put a great deal of store in it. Its a non sense. The bullet shoots itself ha?
    My mind doesnt walk, my feet do.
    My mind doesnt drive my hands and feet do.
    My mind doesnt pull the trigger, my finger does. want anymore innane mantra?
    Mate, never pull that arguement out cause it so patently stupid. leave it for the yanks.

Lovely, two issues you touched on but didnt cover very well. Yes most criminals have guns stolen from legitimate owners or smuggled in. The stolen guns issue is easy to solve. No guns issued, no guns stolen. Obviously thats totally unrealistic but limiting the availability limits the number stolen. Same arguement for smuggling. You cannot run from the statistics on gun deaths between the two countries. Australians are earthlings and the americans are the aliens lol.

The second about self defense of their home. Unless you carry a gun 24/7 its also a nonsense. The crims are waiting for you to put your gun away before barging in, hahahaha its a laugh a minute scenario.
    As others have said its mass psychosis in america which we dont have here. Most aussies have a more laidback attitude to reasonable laws. Compare the two countries and its not a hard decision for the majority. There are exceptions yea, but we dont normally go ballistic over them. " I plead my rights to the first amendmenbt" or what ever would go down real well in court here, hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Who wouldn’t? That doesn’t change the fact that prior to 1996 you were statistically more likely to win the big lottery than you were to ever be involved in an incident involving a semi-automatic weapon.

The stats on shootings prior to 1996 don’t lie either. The stats in NZ don’t lie either. They still allow semi-automatic weapons and even encourage hunters to use silencers and they don’t have a spait of mass shootings either. Australia always was an incredibly low risk of such an occurrence and gun violence was on a significant downward trend prior to Port Arther.

Like 13 gun massacres in the 18 years prior to ‘96 (4 or more killed), zero (1 maybe LIndt?) since.

What is it you want now that you haven’t got?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Before anyone thinks i am a total wowser, I can see a reason for owning a gun in very remote locations or dangerous regions. In australia, thats very very rare indeed. So really we are arguing over something we dont normally experience. But hey, I like all spurious BS arguements for owning a gun, it makes for interesting shouting matches.