Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2 forum members censored on THT

Re: 2 forum members censored on THT

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Dirty Fuzz u might end up with 100 pounds of snoop dog special by accident lol
    Ha! It would all be colombian gold around those parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

To be fair though. Guns ARE awesome

I don't think that is the issue, it's all about "needing" to carry one everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    three things here. 1. Survival of the fittest. 2. I don't worry about my property - we have 2 highly trained dogs and 2 alert dogs, plus a 7,000v 6' foot fence, and I'm usually home and carry my sidearm with me in the house and around the property, so I typically don't live in fear. 3. Your misquote is kinda off topic.

the above is simply a copy and paste of part of a reply from the gun thread, I just can't imagine anyone having that sort of "protection" needs, unless you live in some really bad place, and if it was that bad, I think I would be moving house!
    Sounds like someone living in Johannesburg in South Africa
    Telling Yanks about not having guns is like saying you can’t fish anymore . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Sounds like someone living in Johannesburg in South Africa
    Telling Yanks about not having guns is like saying you can’t fish anymore . Matt
    more like you cant shoot to kill anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
    To be fair though. Guns ARE awesome
    Yeah I love em. The engineering, the history, the smell of the powder and oil....it's people I don't trust.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah guns are all very fun until one goes off when it’s pointed at you. That’ll leave a mark.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Hello All,
    the part that shocks me is that the yanks have normalised this way of thinking.
    The monsterous has become mundane.
    Do they not know that in most of the western world you do not need to carry guns for self protection?.
    I grew up on farm, firearms were part of day to day life but to think that I would need one for self-defence give me the shivers.
    I work in tourism and that is one of the many complimentary things visitors say about Oz; they feel safe and that's because Oz is one of the safest places on earth.
    Do you think that the yanks ever stop to ask; Is our way the best or only way or what are other countries doing differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello All,
    the part that shocks me is that the yanks have normalised this way of thinking.
    The monsterous has become mundane.
    Do they not know that in most of the western world you do not need to carry guns for self protection?.
    I grew up on farm, firearms were part of day to day life but to think that I would need one for self-defence give me the shivers.
    I work in tourism and that is one of the many complimentary things visitors say about Oz; they feel safe and that's because Oz is one of the safest places on earth.
    Do you think that the yanks ever stop to ask; Is our way the best or only way or what are other countries doing differently?
    This is the problem with people from other western nations commenting on American gun policy. America is not the rest of the western world and never will be. There are currently estimated to be over 330 million small arms in circulation in the states. No law is changing that to any significant degree. There is also a very high degree of violence in the states with very high levels of active shooter events (comparatively). I have several good Aussie mates that now reside in the US after marrying American women and all of them now carry almost everywhere they go that it’s legal to do so.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

It's pretty futile to try to get any point across to the US on guns, been on US forums for a very long time now, and know how it is, the point of this "issue" started with a simple and innocent comparison, had nothing to do with whether anyone thought guns were good or bad, necessary or not, that's the real danger in the US, everyone has a gun, and unfortunately, prepared to use it, sometimes way too soon. Just think about this for a second, how many times have you been fishing, and an unknown boat approaches, or even "circles" you? personally, for me, thousands of times, and not for one millisecond have I thought of shooting them, because they are a threat (mind you, at times it pisses you off real bad) just the same as answering the door, even if I owned a gun (and I am not anti gun) I wouldn't go to the door with it, it's just a hardened mentality issue over they that sort of self perpetuates, you have a gun, so I had better carry one too. Just to finish up, many times I have had "debates" on all sorts of stuff on US forums, and more than once it has fallen to things like "you Aussies had all your guns taken off you by the Government" when the debate was not about guns, it's just how we are perceived by them.

I forgot something, this is in no way trying to put down anyone in the US, I have made many friends through boating forums over there, and met a few in person, and I have some lifelong friends that are American and are great people, one was my next door neighbor for many years after he visited here, saw what we had and moved out here almost straight away.

Hence the reason I would never visit or live in the USA, If you need that much "protection". then why the hell would anyone want and also choose to live there. That would be the same as living in Palestine or Papua New Guinea or some war zone. There are thousands of great places in the world that don't have those sort of problems. Life is about living, not surviving!
    For me leaving the house to go shopping, it's do I have my car keys, wallet and mobile?, and that is enough for me, not also which firearm(s) do I take with me today to do some shopping in case I get shot at.

I suppose using their thinking in that, if every single person carried a firearm, you would be less inclined to so some harm to another person as the moment you shot at someone, every one around you would also shoot at you. So there is some logic in that but at the same time which sane person wants to live in an area like that! Not for me thanks. Just my 2 cents worth.

I could tell some stories about the gulf in the 80's, Le Mans style starts out of Weipa, shotties on the front deck blazing away.....those big Darwin/gulf boats thought they didn't have to give way to our little 20m east coast boat - Ha!
    nil carborundum illegitimi

This issue has so many facets to the argument with each point raised having some merit given an individuals personal circumstance. Sure we as Aussies don't see the need to carry - but then we as Aussies are only just starting to see the sort of "don't go into that area" environment that various groups in other countries have lived with all their lives. I'm sure if we were subjected the same environmental perameters our opinions may vary. Americans do have a different mindset - from settlement forward their history is basically conflict and "if you don't get what you want - shoot first and ask questions later" - from the highest level of government down. They still to this day glorify it in every second Hollywood production. The gun control horse bolted years ago - there are way to many in circulation for prohibition to ever work and criminal elements will always manage to get them - they do here even with with better gun control. So what is the answer. The real answer is to try and change the mindset but I see that as a near impossability. There are countries in the world where a gun behind every front door is a mandate due to not having a formal military - these countries have some of the lowest gun related crime levels on the planet. Would this work in the US - probably not - too many other social issues that simmer over. I do see the gun lobby's point about having law abiding citizens guns confiscated - I was dirty when it happened to me because some other nutbag lost their shit. We are seeing more cases of cars being used as weapons on the news - we banning them too? Alcohol and ciggies kill more every year than semi auto guns in this country ever did - banning them? (can't kill the cash cow now can we). I do get some of the anti gun lobby argument - who couldn't given what has gone on but realistically - if someone is going to flip their lid and go on a killing spree, they will use whatever is at their disposal - we've seen explosives, accelerants, knives, motor vehicles - anything's a weapon under the circumstances. What is the one thing that can prevent any of them being used though - the mindset. Unfortunately though I think "good luck" is about all that can be said.

Some good points there Scott. I think one thing to remember also in Australia is the Lindt Cafe siege. Here we had an Islamist nut bag, on bail for murdering his wife via means of setting her on fire, after being on a good behaviour bond after sending disgracefully threatening the families of fallen diggers, ON A TERRORIST WATCH LIST, still managed to get hold of a weapon that was banned after 1996. If that right there doesn’t tell you the gun ban had absolutely nothing to do with the lack of massacres nothing will.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.