Classifieds

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58
  1. #46
    Ausfish Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    I reckon they would work better than anchoring when the wind and the tide are running different directions, up to the limit of their thrust ability. Anchoring is a real PITA in that scenario at the best of times. All you have to remember is that the boat is, in effect pivoting around the electric leg--I saw a post once where someone was upset with them because, when approaching a spot, the boat would stop, but then swing around on the wind . Still holding the spot, just pointing a different direction. He was feeling let down, thought they would be "better" . I felt his basic boating knowledge, let alone his grasp of basic physics, was a little lacking

  2. #47

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    owning a boat and fishing the spending never stops.

    you find the money, you dont go 90% of the way to the type of fishing you want to do and say no ill stop right here

    An electric motor is a want, itís not needed to fish offshore. Iíve made the decision to put one on my 100k build. But trust me, I could easily spend another 20k on this boat. Just because you get a boat built, it doesnít mean that dropping another 5k on an electric is easy.

  3. #48

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    sorry thats not what i meant

    most people build or buy a boat to suit the type of fishing they want to do, and make concessions within their budgets to meet that end goal

  4. #49

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    as a skipper boat owner and bill payer u dont really pull the anchor do you? that's for the sponging crew. Encourage them to pull the anchor with shouts from helm and carefully aimed empty cans.

  5. #50

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    You are running these batteries in series to get 36 volts, the available amperage stays the same, so at the end of the day with the AGM of 150amps having a DOD of 50% there will be 75 amps usable, with the lithium of 75 amps and a DOD of 90% you only have 67.5 amps usable. I would be going at least 100 amps on the lithium, then you would have 90 usable amps.
    Youíre absolutely right on the theoretical capacities there. But also consider that the lithium is going to give the same performance from 1% DOD all the way down to 90% DOD and even further if you go LTO lithium. Where as the AGM is dropping performance the whole time. Maybe not noticeable initially but certainly would be as you approach 50%.

    Also so consider that if youíre the sort of boater that is going to use up those 75amp hours each trip on a regular basis. Then the life of those AGMís is going to plummet in comparison to lithium. The lithium in that case would actually work out cheaper over the long run.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  6. #51

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    So far it is all theoretical for me as never having owned any deep cycle lithium batteries. Although with my power tools I notice that once they get past about 60% discharge they don't have the same torque, so wondered about the deep cycle ones.

  7. #52

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    So just a question for those looking at the LiFo battery option and maybe the answer is obvious. I've currently got two 12v 100amp AGM batteries in the front hatch of my Galey and they take up a shitload of room in there that I would love to claim back one day (and of course weigh heaps). Is there any reason why you would not consider running a single 24v 100amp battery instead of 2 x 12V? I cant see anything on the Minn Kota support site. Is it just a multiple use thing for pulling them out into the caravan or emergency boat starter etc?

    I see there are single 36v options as well - that's a lot of space saving.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train

  8. #53

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Itíll work but 36V 100ah will be 3x size and weight of a 12V 100ah. Good luck lifting it. Only way to go lighter is Lithium and even then there wonít be much space saving.

  9. #54

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    So just a question for those looking at the LiFo battery option and maybe the answer is obvious. I've currently got two 12v 100amp AGM batteries in the front hatch of my Galey and they take up a shitload of room in there that I would love to claim back one day (and of course weigh heaps). Is there any reason why you would not consider running a single 24v 100amp battery instead of 2 x 12V? I cant see anything on the Minn Kota support site. Is it just a multiple use thing for pulling them out into the caravan or emergency boat starter etc?

    I see there are single 36v options as well - that's a lot of space saving.

    Yes you can go with a single 24 volt battery Ö. which will mean a 24 volt charger .

    As far as space saving goes - I don't know if you will get much of an improvement though .

    Personally - I prefer 2 batteries . Easier to handle. Plus if 1 battery dies it is cheaper to replace .

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

    Seller's Items


  10. #55

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    Itíll work but 36V 100ah will be 3x size and weight of a 12V 100ah. Good luck lifting it. Only way to go lighter is Lithium and even then there wonít be much space saving.
    I've got a 200amp AGM (12 vlt) & can attest to the difficulties in lifting it in and out of a bow battery space ÖÖ 55kgs aint fun on your own

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

    Seller's Items


  11. #56

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Here is a question I have been wondering that some of the electrical geeks will be able to answer. If you use 3x12v batteries linked up to make 36v for an electric motor, is it still possible to wire up other 12v devices on one of those batteries or do you need a separate house battery to run the rest of your electrics?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  12. #57

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Here is a question I have been wondering that some of the electrical geeks will be able to answer. If you use 3x12v batteries linked up to make 36v for an electric motor, is it still possible to wire up other 12v devices on one of those batteries or do you need a separate house battery to run the rest of your electrics?
    Simple answer - Yes

    Should you - No

    You really need to be drawing down & or charging at the same rate for all batteries . ( it's why you should replace all batteries in say a battery powered radio / torch etc with not just new batteries but of the same type )

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

    Seller's Items


  13. #58

    Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

    well took a run up the coast yesterday and came across a fella using his eleckie anchor. 5 mtr centre console glass and so i done a few drifts near him. i have not yet to see how these go in the open ocean, well i didnt see him move one inch in any direction in a 10-12 knot breeze. never saw the chap get time to sit down as he was on the money . also centre console wouldnt catch the breeze as much so works well in this setup.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us