Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

Re: Minn Kota instead of anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    A pro boat i know that has one just runs a gennie. It would be heaps cheaper.
    I did think about it, but the noise factor would be too high of a cost for me!

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    http://www.gsl.com.au/voltage-double...e-circuit.html

Hey Nagg,
    I'm looking at these at the moment for a DC-DC charging system. Just need to talk to my battery guy and see what he thinks.

TMC
    I wonder what the IP rating is …. they say it is weather resistant

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ok. So in summary shopping around reveals
    72” 36V Motorguide $3k
    3x150 AGM $1.2k or 3 x 100Ah Lithium $3k
    And maybe 12V to 36V waterproof charger $450
    Cables and setup

So probably around $5k to $7k depending on battery which is in line with other posts.

That’s a shed load of lithium. You could easily go 3x75Ah Lithium’s and still have more capacity than 3x150ah AGM’s and last a whole lot longer.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    That’s a shed load of lithium. You could easily go 3x75Ah Lithium’s and still have more capacity than 3x150ah AGM’s and last a whole lot longer.
    You are running these batteries in series to get 36 volts, the available amperage stays the same, so at the end of the day with the AGM of 150amps having a DOD of 50% there will be 75 amps usable, with the lithium of 75 amps and a DOD of 90% you only have 67.5 amps usable. I would be going at least 100 amps on the lithium, then you would have 90 usable amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    You are running these batteries in series to get 36 volts, the available amperage stays the same, so at the end of the day with the AGM of 150amps having a DOD of 50% there will be 75 amps usable, with the lithium of 75 amps and a DOD of 90% you only have 67.5 amps usable. I would be going at least 100 amps on the lithium, then you would have 90 usable amps.
    Massive weight loss in going for the Lithiums ……100amp (LiFePO4) 14kgs x 3 (42kgs) Vs 150 amp (AGM) 3 x 44kgs (132kgs) All while having more capacity

I'm with you on the 100amp ….. better to have that extra power up your sleeve but just as important is that you will prolong the life of the batteries if you are not pulling them right down .
    I've got a 200amp AGM which to date has lasted 8 or 9 years & still is going strong …… purely on the back of rarely being pulled below 50/60% DOD …… I now use this battery for extended camping trips to run the fridge ( just need a crane to lift it)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

consider how you will be running the 3x 12v lithiums . as some lithiums regs dont like to be running in series.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

What about a electric winch surely they can o 60m+? its cheaper, Those Minnkota's omg are they expensive or bloody what $3800 for 112lb

with these electric motors how does your boat sit in say a southerly tide with a northerly wind?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    What about a electric winch surely they can o 60m+? its cheaper, Those Minnkota's omg are they expensive or bloody what $3800 for 112lb

with these electric motors how does your boat sit in say a southerly tide with a northerly wind?
    The motors are a heap more versatile Gazza and don't require any real thought - push a button - boat anchored exactly (within a few feet) of where you want it - don't have to allow for scope, wind, tide etc. Easy to move 20 feet if you want to without creating a ruckus. If you get snagged you can easily move a bit to try and get it off. I don't run one on my offshore rig but I wouldn't be without one on my tinnie . As for wind against tide - be no different to hanging on an anchor except easier to set in the right spot innitially. They do have the advanced spotlock where the unit looks at GPS and heading - haven't used mine yet - hasn't been any need. They also have the advantage of being able to pull up a bit off the mark and go in without noise - something that could be beneficial in hard fished areas. They could even be set up to control your drift on days with a bit of breeze that pushes you off a reef line too quickly meaning more time on the fish

a 112lb unit is going to go on a 60-100k boat dont think 3800more really matters, considering they probably have sounders worth that or more

see a school of fish deploy hit spot lock cast your rod and fish

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    Ok. So in summary shopping around reveals
    72” 36V Motorguide $3k
    3x150 AGM $1.2k or 3 x 100Ah Lithium $3k
    And maybe 12V to 36V waterproof charger $450
    Cables and setup

So probably around $5k to $7k depending on battery which is in line with other posts.
    Have a read of this thread Monza, you can save a bit on the batteries if you go with the CALB lithiums.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...s-(deep-cycle)

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    a 112lb unit is going to go on a 60-100k boat dont think 3800more really matters, considering they probably have sounders worth that or more

see a school of fish deploy hit spot lock cast your rod and fish

Yes and no. The spending needs to end somewhere. Trust me.

But they are brilliant bits of gear and way better than an anchor. Nothing beats being on your mark, exactly, and wind and tide doesn't affect this.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    consider how you will be running the 3x 12v lithiums . as some lithiums regs dont like to be running in series.
    This is the second time I've heard this, can anyone shed some light on it. I have read that if run in a series, the batteries both need to be new, charged together so they attain the same charge and discharge rates.

For many years I’ve joked I wanted a park brake on my boat. I guess this is as close as it gets...

owning a boat and fishing the spending never stops.

you find the money, you dont go 90% of the way to the type of fishing you want to do and say no ill stop right here