Thread: Dose fishing line lose it's mojo with age.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dose fishing line lose it's mojo with age.

I have some new lines fins braid and scheider mono and leader,i purchased some 5 years ago never used ,will this line still be good to use or does age bugger it up like it has done me,
    cheers gr hilly.

Blog Entries

Re: Dose fishing line lose it's mojo with age.

If it hasn't been exposed to prolonged periods of direct sunlight or anything nasty I cant see why it wont be fine mate

I buy braid in large spools. I have some 50lb stuff thats a few years old and its fine

Yep, as long as mono has been kept out of sunlight and heat, it will be fine, sometimes it might developed a bit of "memory" from being spooled for so long, but a few times out, it will be OK, not too sure about braid, but I imagine it's OK too, I haven't used braid for years now, somehow all my reels just kind of migrated back to mono, I didn't set out to do it, but over time, all the braid was replaced.

Blog Entries

Yes i understand going back to mono, i rember changing a few back from braid to mono on my last trip to Baffle creek rocky fishing the mono was a littl tougher.
    cheers gr hilly.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I recently fished the 4lb comp in Cardwell and the reel I used most was purchased and spooled with 4lb fins in 2006/7. It’s been used heavily since that time and I expected it to be down on performance so had a spare new spool in my kit just in case.

I used 35lb fc leader and the only knot I tied was the knot to my lure or snap. Snagged probably 5 or 6 times with that old reel and every time it broke at the lure or clip at well above 4lb.

From this huge sample size and highly scientific test data I’d say it will be fine.

Cheers

Marchy

Blog Entries

Thanks for your time,well i recon i can now fish in confidence,

cheers gr hilly.