Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Victory - Hardtop conversion.

Re: Seafarer Victory - Hardtop conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    What stage are you up to Scott, I've been lurking on this post to steal ideas. I'm starting the process myself shortly. Wavebreaker, hardtop and clears. Too much grief doing glass windows with the amount of wraparound on the Vermont. Have you or any other member seen or done similar on a Vermont?
    Picked up the sliders today and the stainless guy has the existing targa for templating and modification as we speak. Initially I was going down the same track but due to personal design constraints and the fact I am over leaky zips and corroded press studs, I ended up going full screen. I have never seen a Vermont done - no reason it cant be. Main thing is to ensure the stainless work will handle the movement and keep the weight of the glass to a minimum. I didn't want any lateral bracing in my field of vision - just a personal thing - and every stainless bloke I spoke to said without it, it will eventually crack.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    use a spray gun... not too hard to do, much better finish..

Regards
    HOnda.
    Cheers Honda. I have "come to terms" with the finish - basically over it for the minute. I think I was getting air bubbles in the gelcoat and as I sanded back to fix one, it would expose another. There are a couple of bigger air bubble holes I will spot repair later but for the minute at least I am done. If you don't look too close you can't see them. If the boat was new or in absolutely immaculate condition it may be different - but it's not.

On a different note, I have heard on the grapevine that if I had waited till next year, I could have traded it on a factory one. If it looks any good they should sell like hot cakes.

Probably experiencing off gassing Scottar

Mate why would you ever trade yours on a new one?????
    Air bubbles are a fact of life in my business - Don't Ask
    Sucks, but thats life!
    Your boat will always be better than a new one , and you will have what you wanted. Designed and made by you.
    Hang in there!
    Cheers
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    Mate why would you ever trade yours on a new one?????
    Air bubbles are a fact of life in my business - Don't Ask
    Sucks, but thats life!
    Your boat will always be better than a new one , and you will have what you wanted. Designed and made by you.
    Hang in there!
    Cheers
    Brendan
    No fear of it actually happening Brendan. Justin from Cruisecraft tried to convince the financial controller I should have just traded it this morning. Poor bloke never saw it coming 😂

Scott, lots of things cause gassing. Too much MEKP, humidity or laying it on too thick or depressions to deep. Are you using a waxed product, unwaxed is better as you can put more on later wit out sanding back. To set it off all you need to do is deprive it of air, for example with gladwrap, then you can sand and polish it easily otherwise it's a real PIA if it's got wax in it to put more on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Scott, lots of things cause gassing. Too much MEKP, humidity or laying it on too thick or depressions to deep. Are you using a waxed product, unwaxed is better as you can put more on later wit out sanding back. To set it off all you need to do is deprive it of air, for example with gladwrap, then you can sand and polish it easily otherwise it's a real PIA if it's got wax in it to put more on.
    First time flow coat, second time two layers of gelcoat then flowcoat, third time 4 layers of gelcoat and then add wax for the 5th. Sanded well with 80 grit between attempts. Whether it was gassing or simply that the roller was putting bubbles in it I couldn't say. Mekp was kept at a maximum of 2% - could have been humidity and temp - who knows.

20181216_153549.jpg20181216_153534.jpg20181216_141739.jpg

Bit of progress this week. Windows sorted - dry fit on the coaming adapter today - only one set of holes to fill . Also got the heavier targa base and modified original rod rack back - top jobs on all accounts by the suppliers. Sorry bout the crook neck......

The rod rack base set up looks familiar.
    Are you doing top hand rail above the hardtop? I find mine really handy. post 72 pic.

C
    C.
    What could go wrong.......................

And most certainly one inside the windscreen with bracing to the screen, strengthens the whole lot.

Do you mind telling us how much the glass cost?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    The rod rack base set up looks familiar.
    Are you doing top hand rail above the hardtop? I find mine really handy. post 72 pic.

C
    C.
    Definitely on the list. Was another reason I started the project - near went in the drink climbing around the front. Haven't thought about design as yet - independent or tied back to the targa. Rod rack is the old factory one. The guy that did the work is the son of the guy that did Seafarer's work originally. He did his time working for his dad doing a heap of them. He was telling me the biggest month they ever had they did over 50 boats for Lindsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    And most certainly one inside the windscreen with bracing to the screen, strengthens the whole lot.
    For sure - at this stage looking at a dual post setup to stop racking from the coaming adaptor following the rake of the screen to the top. Thinking dual 32mm posts with maybe some small bracing in the corners between the mounting plates and the pipework. Bottom one will bolt through the coaming adaptor for load dispersion right through the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Do you mind telling us how much the glass cost?
    Just shy of 5k all up. The sliders were exy due to their dimensions and shape - very narrow and thus required anti fall and anti lift fittings to stop the pane tipping.

Definitely on the list. Was another reason I started the project - near went in the drink climbing around the front. Haven't thought about design as yet - independent or tied back to the targa. Rod rack is the old factory one. The guy that did the work is the son of the guy that did Seafarer's work originally. He did his time working for his dad doing a heap of them. He was telling me the biggest month they ever had they did over 50 boats for Lindsay.

His Dad did mine and sadly he passed away some time later.
    Good that his son is carrying on the business, still at the same place ?

Chimo

He works from home now Chimo.

Scott, have you worked out how much extra weight your putting in the boat. You might have to go on a diet to make up for it.

Seafarers like a little extra weight in the cab area, just not too keen having big AusFishers hanging around near the anchor especially at very low speed and particularly in choppy sloppy waves or wakes.
    You don't really need to ask me how I know, do you?