Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Victory - Hardtop conversion.

Re: Seafarer Victory - Hardtop conversion.

Bit more done today. Cut away the raw edge of the glass work and sanded the bottom half of the coaming adaptor. Quick fair using a polyester/micro ballons mix, another sand and then glass the top. Hopefully tomorrow will see sanding , fairing and flowcoat. Was going to two pac but I will try flowcoat first and see what transpires.

Really don't have too much of an issue with the sanding Gazza but I do hook the orbital up to the shop vac which takes care of most of it. Any fine detail work I usually use the multi tool which doesn't tend to throw dust too badly. Even working in the anchor well doing the bow block, by having the vacuum running beside where I was working, dust was not an issue using the multitool. After 20 odd years of working in various boat factories, you sort of learn to live with it too I suppose.

How does the shop vac work? I have a back pack vacuum that has a wool/cotton bag that clogs up quiet easily wish i could find a vacuum that would continue to run untill the whole bin is filled

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    How does the shop vac work? I have a back pack vacuum that has a wool/cotton bag that clogs up quiet easily wish i could find a vacuum that would continue to run untill the whole bin is filled
    Seems to go ok Gazza. It's just a bunning's Ozito special. Main reason I bought it was the automatic start / shut off when you run an accessory through it - great for the multi tool. I run a pneumatic random orbital though - not electric. The vac uses paper bags - not the cheapest but worth it not having to deal with the dust

Glad you are giving the flowcoat ago. Will give you a better result, it is just a little more sanding and sanding and sanding which you seem to like.

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Glad you are giving the flowcoat ago. Will give you a better result, it is just a little more sanding and sanding and sanding which you seem to like.
    There is something vaguely therapeutic about it.......or I am losing my mind. Not sure which at this point

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    There is something vaguely therapeutic about it.......or I am losing my mind. Not sure which at this point
    When I am sanding I can't hear the wife

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    When I am sanding I can't here the wife
    I've managed to chase mine out of the house with the noise.... . Sanded this morning, fairing applied - just waiting for it to harden. Might get to flowcoat this afternoon.

Scott to save yourself a great amount of sanding can you get some plastic about the thickness of the old overhead projector film and mold it over your flowcoat so you end up with a nice smooth surface ?

I can't tell you just how much sanding it will save you. If not just sand and sand and then some more.

I'm a picture whore where are all the pic's Scottar? lol

Melinex is the stuff Brett62 is alluding too Scottar

(
    Melinex

A plastic polyester film which does not adhere to resin, and therefore, can be used for self-releasing formers, etc.)
    What could go wrong.......................

No pics today Gazza - it's pissing down rain again so it's out under a plastic sheet in the carport waiting for the fairing to fully set so it can be sanded. I'm starting to think I can create rain simply by mentioning an activity that starts with the letter "F". Fishing or fibreglassing - doesn't seem to matter.

Cheers Brett and Chimo. Not sure how this gear would go - it's all variable compound curves around the edges and front. At this stage I'm thinking sander - just for something different. It's a different colour at least so it feel like a totally different job...…..right?

Ohh tell me about it... i have seen that much rain i wish it would just go away my lawns are almost 2 foot tall just cant get the grass to dry out to bloody mow it its shocking rain i think every day for weeks now, hopefully some of the farmers are getting wet tho

20181026_135009.jpgSliders measured up today and threw a coat of flowcoat (as well as a healty spattering of bugs - WTF is their fascination with white wet surface coatings) on the coaming adapter. More sanding tomorrow as the flowcoat was less than friendly about going on smooth - which I knew it would - but we all live in denial right...…...or is that just me

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    20181026_135009.jpgSliders measured up today and threw a coat of flowcoat (as well as a healty spattering of bugs - WTF is their fascination with white wet surface coatings) on the coaming adapter. More sanding tomorrow as the flowcoat was less than friendly about going on smooth - which I knew it would - but we all live in denial right...…...or is that just me
    Sanding,sanding and sanding and then polish, polish and polish.and then realise you need another coat and the cycle starts all over.

I do it with a couple of rums as it all make sense then,

Yeah..... I suspect I haven't seen the last of it.