Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Victory - Hardtop conversion.

Re: Seafarer Victory - Hardtop conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I also found that the difference between Bunnings marine ply and that from local timber suppliers is like chalk and cheese, B uses the lightest, coarsest sheeting.
    Yeah possibly Sam. Part of it was convenience - it's 2 minutes down the road and thus I am game to just slot the sheet in the back of the cruiser and leave the tail gate up. Anywhere else meant a whole lot more stuffing around getting the old man's trailer - half a day versus 15 minutes. They had Gunnersons labels on the racking - who knows. I wasn't too worried - if I was actually doing work down in the hull I would have looked harder. At any rate she's all epoxied together and sitting under anything I could find in the garage to put weight on it...……..Tomorrow we sand.....and sand......and sand. You get the drift.

20181011_214129.jpg

All glued up. Windscreen test fit to get a line to work to and sanding tomorrow with any luck.

wow, totally fascinated by this process.
    Theres less hook in that than I would have imagined.
    One of the bugbears has always been that tiny dribble through the screen that would flow to the low point just above the throttle.!
    Not any more hey!

Keep the pics coming
    Cheers
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    wow, totally fascinated by this process.
    Theres less hook in that than I would have imagined.
    One of the bugbears has always been that tiny dribble through the screen that would flow to the low point just above the throttle.!
    Not any more hey!

Keep the pics coming
    Cheers
    Brendan
    You have no idea Brendan 😂. Drove me to distraction and ultimately this. I had pretty much fixed the dribble by filling the side screens with silicone. The other way would be to drill some drain holes in the outer side making a new lowest point for the water to exit the frame. It still didn't fix leaky clears or zips that corrode if not used regularly though. The hook ended up at about 60mm. There are 6 layers of 9mm ply laminated together in that assembly. The new dash top will be perfectly flat so even if the new windows did leak a bit, I can fit a drip rail and force the water right to the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    You have no idea Brendan 😂. Drove me to distraction and ultimately this. I had pretty much fixed the dribble by filling the side screens with silicone. The other way would be to drill some drain holes in the outer side making a new lowest point for the water to exit the frame. It still didn't fix leaky clears or zips that corrode if not used regularly though. The hook ended up at about 60mm. There are 6 layers of 9mm ply laminated together in that assembly. The new dash top will be perfectly flat so even if the new windows did leak a bit, I can fit a drip rail and force the water right to the corner.
    I actually had the screen re-sealed by australian marine windows some years ago.
    That fixed about 90%
    the clears are sail trak on so dont leak at bottom and have a vybak flap over the zip (never used) which cuts that to nearly zero.
    I have a low (for my height) roof height and fair brow. I can open the whole clears from drivers side at its junction with the roof which gives plenty ventilation and for tallies like me a good view at night.
    Clears are still perfect after 8 years or so, so most days not a problem.
    Still just that little bit on rough days, just down next to the right hand.

Ive always intended to put a little drain in there. doesnt really matter where to. Always,always get the hose up behind binnacle after use . Have a plate behind throttle which is only sealed on top half so rinse water can drain.
    cheers
    Brendan

Bit more progress today. First test fit to get a sanding line and then into action with the sanding gear - my new best friend - the belt sander. Got a fair bit of sanding done - bit tricky trying to integrate two different curves. Bit to go yet.

New screen front view.jpg Sanded molding.jpg

I got NFI what is going on with picture orientation round these parts. Enjoy the handstands fellas

Taking shape mate..cant wait to see it finished.

I always have trouble with picture orientation on this site, my iPad always puts them upside down, even if I change the source orientation, I think it's a " feature"

image.jpg
    Looks good
    What could go wrong.......................

image.jpg This is easier to appreciate too
    copy
    pasted into infranview
    rotated
    enlarged
    copied
    pasted back into AF.

20181016_174837 (2).jpgFinished shaping today. Bogged with q-cell mix and sanded and two layers of 350CSM applied to the underside and sides. Hopefully the weekend will see the glass work complete. Learned a few things

I hate fibreglass
    I hate fibreglass
    Don't reuse a mixing pot
    I hate fibreglass
    My one good idea of the day was a plastic drop sheet
    I hate fibreglass
    Rain is a real PITA when trying to do these sorts of projects
    and - I hate fibreglass. Give me electricity any day.

2 3 or 4 lt ice cream containers are more better IMHO

looks good, no more bottom leaks.................

Definitely need a drop sheet on the floor, cheap slip on shoes that get taken off when you move away from the drop sheet, ice cream containers for mixing, let the left over go hard over night, then twist to pop it out for today's use, buy cheap disposable brushes and tools, waste of time trying to clean them, acetone dissolves your finger nails with constant use, sanded fibreglass is itchy shit, resin drips all the time and that's just what I could think of right now....

I hate fibreglassing. If sanding fibreglass rub talcum powder into every pore on your body, it will reduce the itchyness. For really sharp corners I have ironed creases into the chopped strand, turn off any steam though, and it seems to keep its shape just long enough to finish the job. I hate fibreglassing. And I agree with the icecream container being best, although I do use an 11mm microfiber roller, standard 20mm wide, cut in half, a bit messier at times, you will need to hold your bucket under the narrow work your doing but so much quicker than a brush and if you hAve pice lifting or nother sticking your not pushing mat around. I know of some professionals that do it this way and I found it easier.

I sometimes reuse the same pot if i am only mixing 150mls and i use it quickly but yeah the one's i buy are only like 25c 27c so i use them once than stack them up for the bin once cured i buy mine from a car auto spray paint place i buy in bulk so they are often cheaper i go thru them like crazy

sanding cloth is a piece of cake sanding chopped mat is a itchy nightmare that stuff is crazy and itchy like all hell i have read of people smearing vasoline on there skin before sanding so the chopped mat sticks to the vaso than just washes off at the end of the day