Thread: Maroochy River 5/10/18

Maroochy River 5/10/18

Headed out yesterday for a bit of a fish, gentlemen hours hitting the water about 8.00 am. First stop was Swan Boat hire to pick up some fresh prawns, only to discover Mark from Swan Boat hire operating from a van. Had a chat and it seems his landlord is redeveloping. He's been 23 years in the same shop. No fresh prawns any more, so a bag of frozen, a couple of coffees from the shop and we were off.
    Down to the mouth first of all to chase a few whiting, and there are some good ones around in amongst the pickers. The tide was a bit lower than I anticipated, and the trick is to work out where the fish will be as they move off the flats.
    We then headed upstream, past the Bli Bli bridge. I wanted to try some Gulp prawns on some snags, a technique we use up north to great effect, but not so good today. I will revisit these prawns in the river as I'm sure it will be effective, and get away from the picking bream.
    There is truckloads of live bait in the river , and we had herring and mullet in our tank. At our next spot we chucked a couple out, and it wasn't long before Marko's line was screeming, however it didn't last long.I guess 10lb leader and live bait is not a good combination.It wasn't long till my live herring set off (10 lb line, 30 lb leader) and after a bit of fun a nice little trevor was landed.
    We then moved up past the old cane train bridge, but had no real luck as there are way to many small pickers.
    We then headed back towards home, stopping at a creek mouth to try only to find it was full of catfish. After a quick half dozen catties were landed the novelty wore off and we headed home about 2.30 pm. Not a long days fishing, but always a bit of fun to wet a line with a mate, have a couple of coldies, and talk crap all day.

Cheers

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maroochytrev.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	117854  

Re: Maroochy River 5/10/18

Sorry about the sideways picture