Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flow coating first time

Flow coating first time

content removed

Re: Flow coating first time

Hey Col some guys do amazing paint jobs by using white for walls and side pockets than a gray colour for the floor with a white outline some look really smick

When I did my boat, I just used a brush, came out great, a few tips I learned, and by no means a pro, try to find a helper to mix batches so you can stay in the boat and do it all in one go, rather than use one lot, jump down, mix another, jump back in again and so on, when you brush it on, don't fool around with it, just brush and go, try for a nice warm day, not too hot or cold, if the mix starts to go off, don't even think about using one more brush dip, toss it away, plan the job so the last bit is done from a seat or something so you can get back out again.

Like Gazza I use a roller, I buy the usual 270 mm roller, cut them in half quarter the price of the short rollers, those trim rollers with a smaller diam are sometimes better for really tight corners but you'll get a good even finish, as Noelm says don't even think of using the mix if it starts to go off. This is the method a local boat manufacturer uses for both resin and flowcoat and it works a treat.
    Mixing in the right amount MEKP is also the key, too much, it will go off too quick and can even have fine bubbles in it, not enough and then the fun begins. Syringes are a great way to measure it accurately.

Ausfish Platinum Member

As above, just don't tip and hope with the mix. There will be a recommended range, like resin, ie, 1% for warm weather, and up to 2% for cool weather. Borrow mums kitchen scales and cover them well with gladwrap for weighing the resin/flowcoat. I personally like rollers, for both laminating and flowcoating--avoid the foam mini-rollers, I find they just swell up and fall off, and one with a long nap tend to leave fluff after a while. Brushes for corner work.
    If you are working over old flocoat, sand back well and wipe with acetone, works for me.

personal content removed

photo removed
    Attachment 117850
    Last edited by blacklab; 05-10-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add info

deleted personal photo and content

deleted personal photo's and content

Hope this helps you Col.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    OK, As the title suggests, I shall be attempting to do some Flow coating for the first time next weekend.
    I'm flow coating the inside sides of my boat.
    It's had a new transom, stringers one piece floor, which has been flow coated grey.
    I took a 120 sanding disc over the existing old flow coating, pretty sure I've given it a good going over.

An acetone washdown should have actually been done first. Reason being is that with flowcoat, the wax floats to the surface which provides the non sticky feel. Straight gelcoat would leave a tacky feel when cured. So grinding first does contaminate the surface. A 36 grit disc or even a grinder would be better to key it in. 120 grit is a bit light on.

Was then going to vacumme up spotless, then give it all a good acetone wipe down, just prior to starting.
    So It's not horizontal, which I'm picking would be easier to do, rather than the side walls and full length shelves etc.

Flowcoat is self leveling and is easy to use on even overhead surfaces.

So, as I have to do the full length shelves and under them, around them etc, what would the best approach.
    I figured that it would be better to mix up small amounts at a time, due to working time.
    How much would you mix up in batches at a time ?.
    when finishing one area, mixing up another batch, can you actually lap into the previously applied patch ? how much time do I have.

This all depends on the surface area to be covered. I would be mixing at 1% catalyst in this warmer weather and be working under cover to keep UV exposure at a minimum (UV speeds up the cure which can prevent the wax floating to the surface and leaving the result tacky). Inside a garage is the best option. Obviously you need to mask off the new floor flowcoat. The trick with flowcoating is keeping a wet line. This is very easy inside the small area of a boat. Basically go in both directions at the same time so you maintain a wet edge at each side.

A tip for mixing is use a ROUND bucket. Square buckets make it too easy to not properly mix the catalyst through the brew. Spend a good 2 minutes mixing the catalyst through the flowcoat.

You need several buckets because as the remnants go off in the bucket if you mix a new brew you will get lumps in your new brew. You will likely get say 2x 1kg brews before you risk bits (assess that on the day). Then start a new bucket. 1kg will give you good coverage within the working time of the pot.

Also, having mixed information with regards to the best way to apply it, some say brush, others say small rollers.
    Any wisdom shared would be very much appreciated.

Definitely brush it on. Use a 4inch brush for fast coverage and a 1inch brush for fiddly areas. As a guide you should use about 600grams flowcoat per square metre.

It's an old boat, I'd like it to look reasonable, but I'm not anal about it, alot of it will be obscured by the shelf covers, but still enough seen for me to try and do it half decently.
    Reason for doing it, fibre glasser couldn't match the Goldy/ yellow type existing finish, so went plain grey with the floor, so trying to blend it in to the floor..........

Col

details removed

Hi Col,

If you start at the bow and work equally down each side you will keep a wet edge. It will only take perhaps 1 hr to cover the area required. Call me if you want further help mate. 0419787986

content removed

Cheers dude

Col make sure u check out which paint u use some are specific for spray, roll or brush and some also self level if u brush something to think about before u purchase