Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearls of wisdom for beginner

Pearls of wisdom for beginner

Hello!!

I am pretty excited as it looks like I have found my boat...just need to do it now.

I have never owned a boat...

Any pearls of wisdom for a beginner?

Would appreciate any pointers!!

Cheers
    John

Re: Pearls of wisdom for beginner

Don’t forget to put the bungs in hahahaha. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Be efficient at the ramp. Prep your boat away from the ramp. Reverse, get the boat off, then get off the ramp.

Do a course and get a licence, but remember not everyone plays by the rules so always be aware.

Get a second job.................................

Col

Na John, sorry about that, never spoke a truer word tho, you'll need extra income !!!

But, congradulations on your purchase.
    Listen, all of the above, try and get someone experienced in all facets, towing, ramp on and off and get them to come with you on your own, without others,
    for a few hours on the water. Dont know if you've done much boating, but having an experienced person first time out, will do no end of good and confidence.
    ASK QUESTIONS,
    no one is to experienced to learn........

Col

Learn the real term of B.O.A.T,
    Also from personal experience of solo launching if a pontoon available use it and the tide to your advantage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

If yourve never owned a boat , might save you some good $$at days end to both have the boat , and motor checked out by quallified mech .
    Secondly its quite easy to buy and get your boat about , but local knowledge of the area you will be motoring around is priceless when it comes to safety of not only yourself but others in your Boat especially it being Children who place their faith n trust in you for their day or few hours out on the briney.
    Dont venture further or faster than both you and the boat is capable of .
    Dont only listen to advice , but spare the time to hear whats been advised.
    Sorry if I sound like a Nag , but due to age and heaps of water under the bridge I have made my share of errors but have learnt by them lol n hope I can spare someone else a wee bit of pain in a word of wisdom here n there lo.
    Cheers n Happy Boating.

Look at clubs in the area you want to go boating, they are always a source of knowledge. Whereabouts are you, you might find members on here in your area that are willing to help.

Thanks for the tips.

My biggest fear is launching and backing the boat into my driveway. I will go practise in a quite place.

I am strongly considering lessons as well.

My intention is to stay inshore for the foreseeable future until I am comfortable to venture further.

Thanks and please keep them coming!!

Backing the trailer in the drive way can take some practice, just practice when ever you can using your mirrors not over the shoulder . If you want the trailer to go right , steer left slowly and keep the mudgaurd in the mirror. I only have 50 mm either side to fit my boat in the garage and get it first go almost every time . Practice Practice Practice is my best advise it will come , then teach the wife and life will become a breeze at the ramp . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Blog Entries

prior preparation prevents piss poor performance

When at the ramp in the dark always turn your lights off (parkers are okay)

Develop a routine that is efficient and effective. Do as much prep work as you can before you launch every time. Nothing worse than getting to the ramp and having to wait while some tool puts their bimini up or gets fishing gear ready or generally screws around taking up ramp space. Having said that keep calm and don't rush. Just be efficient.

Put a reminder in your diary/calendar/Phone a week or two out from when your flares expire

Don't skimp of safety gear (EPIRB, Life Jackets etc).

Enjoy it

Don't forget to have enough fuel (more than you need), safety gear, spare drinking water, and log in to the VMR or Coast Guard to let them know who you are, where are you going and when you will be back, etc., they will ask all of these questions. Also get someone who has boating experience to go with you for a while. Boating is not like you can get out of a car and go for a walk if things go bad, getting a boat license teaches you the basics to get a the license but you still won't have any experience, most of the time your boating time will be good till things go bad and then you will wish you had a lot more. So someone with you with experience is invaluable.

Check the weather forecast and keep an eye out on it as well, I had an episode once when there was a storm predicted in the late afternoon so we went out from the Broadwater to go fishing early morning off the Gold Coast and the plan was to get back before it arrived. There was this huge cloud formation out on the horizon just sitting there all morning, so we kept fishing, and then moved inside the Broadwater before lunch to let my kids have a quick swim, watched it continuously and then it started to move, we had to hammer it back at 40knots to get back to the marina before it hit. Just as we we pulling in there was a small tinny with a couple of guys pulling out to go fishing, it hit 5 minutes later at about 50knots, couldn't see squat, rain was horizontal and white caps were forming in the Broadwater. We had tied up by that stage and in the car where we sat till it went past. So moral of the story, weather forecasts are great but they are only best guesses and are not 100% accurate, so you have to rely on common sense as well.

Boating is fun but not without risks.

What size and type of boats are you looking at John?

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Backing the trailer in the drive way can take some practice, just practice when ever you can using your mirrors not over the shoulder . If you want the trailer to go right , steer left slowly and keep the mudgaurd in the mirror. I only have 50 mm either side to fit my boat in the garage and get it first go almost every time . Practice Practice Practice is my best advise it will come , then teach the wife and life will become a breeze at the ramp . Matt
    If you start to see too much trailer in either mirror turn the steering wheel in the same direction, that is if too much in the left mirror, turn to the left, right to right. Takes a little practice but works. Also when you find the sweet spot where your trailer wheels hit the gutter you could just put a spot of road paint there for something go aim for, it will wear away but by then you'll have it down pat. At night time I have one of those cheap solar lights at the edge of the driveway which helps me.