Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pearls of wisdom for beginner

Re: Pearls of wisdom for beginner

Get a good deckie and each have a job. It makes life far easier

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

as above, find a mate or someone who's experienced. you will learn so much faster with someone right there with you!

Never turn your vehicle engine off when launching or retrieving on a rapidly rising/incoming tide. I have personally had to jump start people whose battery has decided to fail on the ramp. Nothing worse than having your vehicle get swamped.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

I reckon I would take the chance of having a flat battery over having the hand brake slip because you left it in neutral any day.

On a ramp I reckon I would vote for leaving the handbrake on and having a driver still sitting in place with her foot on the brake as well.

If you were to winch the boat on instead of driving the boat on the trailer and you have a power winch to haul the boat up onto the trailer then have her increase the revs a little above idle to increase the volts to the winch the get the boat onto the trailer a little quicker.

Not drowning the trailer makes a massive difference to the longevity of the trailer not to mention the brakes and bearings as well.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but if you are going to drown your trailer and wheel bearings at least let the hubs and bearing cool right down before drowning them to avoid sucking the hubs full of salty water which isn't the best for bearings.

How long are you planning to keep the boat before getting the next one?

Re batteries, the way to have excitement free boating is to keep your gear up to date and gear definitely includes batteries.

The days of pulling a battery out of a car to stick in a boat are long gone. If you haven't got the message yet BOAT is real. (Bring out another thousand)
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post

How long are you planning to keep the boat before getting the next one?
    Hopefully in 10 years...lets see!!

When backing down ramp at night, and there is a car waiting to back down in front of you, turn headlights down so the other bloke can see

Quote Originally Posted by strathboy View Post
    Never turn your vehicle engine off when launching or retrieving on a rapidly rising/incoming tide. I have personally had to jump start people whose battery has decided to fail on the ramp. Nothing worse than having your vehicle get swamped.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    One of the specific reasons I went auto with my current tow rig. Of course the fact they don't bring a manual into the country helped as well. With a manual though, not a great idea unless you have someone in the car on the brakes. Relying on a hand brake is a pretty good recipe for a call to your insurance company.

Always say your the skipper and skipper doesn't pull the anchor haha my mates have a brutal anchor it consists of around 8-10meters of high tensile thick chain plus the anchor on top of it and all the rust that thing weighs an absolute ton not to mention when you need to pull it out of a muddy bottom

if anyone wants to drink booze while your the skipper make them wear a life jacket or better don't go out