Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rectifier

Rectifier

does any body know how to wire a Rectifier to a 15 hp Tohatsu
    cheers snap

Re: Rectifier

Which rectifier?. I used one of these on my Merc-hatsu so I could run it without batteries as well - my sounder has it's own battery independent of the motor and the big battery doesn't go all the time. Pretty simple to do.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Regulato...oAAOSwrxVbmLJC

thanks scottar
    what size motor have you got
    snap

what wires go where i have a black white and yellow coming from motor and these are the wires from rectifier
    Attached Images Attached Images

Need rectifier info to be sure.
    I'd suspect the red is the rectifier output and the case of the rectifier is the other output leg.
    That leaves the two blues as the rectifier input.
    Yellow & white are the stator outputs which 'should' connect to the blues.
    You got any rectifier details, make model etc?

Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this is all i got
    utboard Rectifier Regulator 4HP-70HP 2 Stroke Yamaha Mariner Suzuki Tohatsu AU

Features:

• Help to dissipate excess voltage, improve charging capability, prevent overcharging battery.
    • Heavy duty metal construction with heat sink for better cooling, excellent dissipate heat performance.
    • Original standard, directly replace the existing broken regulator.
    • Plug-and-play, direct fit, easy to install.
    • Fit for 4hp-70hp 2 Stroke Outboard for Yamaha Mariner / Suzuki Tohatsu.

Specifications:
    Condition: 100% brand new
    Material: plastic, metal
    Size: 40 * 35 * 25mm / 1.6 * 1.4 * 1.0in
    Color: black
    Package Weight: approx.86g
    Fitment:
    For 4hp-70hp 2 Stroke Outboard
    For Yamaha Mariner
    For Suzuki Tohatsu

Package List:
    1 * Voltage Rectifier
    Payment

If the red and blues are not identified you will have to do it yourself with an ohm meter.
    Double check the case for plus, minus or frequency symbols.
    The rectifier case will be minus and my money is on the red being positive but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    thanks scottar
    what size motor have you got
    snap
    It's the Merc 15 Super. Is this the rectifier you have?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232078824919

If so, the red is positive, black is negative and the other two wires are the input from the outboard. Make sure the red wire gets a fuse in the line. By the diagram Fed posted, the wire colours from the outboard are yellow and white - it doesn't matter which of the other wires these connect to on the regulator. The unit you have will possibly have to be run with a battery in circuit. Running it without a battery may cause damage. I would also take a meter with you on the first trip and check the charge output voltage at high RPM's.

003.jpghi scotter
    thanks heaps for that it is what i needed have you got the same rectifier
    i have got the 15 hp merc with the tohatsu block
    cheers snap
    so would this be right if so where does the black wire from the motor go

My Rectifier/regulator is different to yours. There isn't really a need for the black wire from the outboard to be connected to anything. I haven't bothered with mine. That diagram will work.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    My Rectifier/regulator is different to yours. There isn't really a need for the black wire from the outboard to be connected to anything. I haven't bothered with mine. That diagram will work.
    what type have you have i may have to get one like yours at least i know it will work
    john

I think the black should connect to the block ground, can't count on the rectifier case being the negative output.

Quote Originally Posted by 39NESP View Post
    what type have you have i may have to get one like yours at least i know it will work
    john
    The one as per the link in my first reply John. It did also fit a diode to drop the charge output voltage as it was a bit high for the AGM I use in the tinny. The one you have should be fine if it does what it says in the blurb and you have a battery in circuit all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    The one as per the link in my first reply John. It did also fit a diode to drop the charge output voltage as it was a bit high for the AGM I use in the tinny. The one you have should be fine if it does what it says in the blurb and you have a battery in circuit all the time.
    hi scottar
    just for the record in case i get one like yours could you show me how you wired yours with a mud map please
    cheers snap