Thread: Sanding brushed on flowcoat.

Sanding brushed on flowcoat.

As some of you may know, I am rebuilding an old Seafarer Ventura, I've been keeping another thread going. I've been away for a month, but now getting into it again.
    Anyway, part of that build is the seat boxes that I am also refurbishing. Ive used them for a bit of a test bed to figure out how shit works.
    Anyway, I tidied them up, sanded, patched and cut some holes for hatches to make them into storage.
    I also flow coated them, mostly to see how flowcoat works.
    Anyway I hand brushed it on, pretty thick and started to hand sand with wet and dry.
    That was taking a while, so I googled wet and dry discs for the random orbital.
    I found these things called MIRKA Abranet.
    They're a mesh disc that doesn't clog. I got some 180 and 400 grit discs.
    I roughed down with 180 then 400. These things are awesome. Cost a bit, but totally worth it. They seem to last a fair while too. As they dont clog.
    The boxes are nice and smooth, even and ready to be wet sanded. Reckon I saved a ton of time.
    So if anyone else has decent sized areas of flowcoat to sand, give these a go.
    Think I got them off Ebay......

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Sanding brushed on flowcoat.

Weird looking pads, how do they manage to stick to self adhering velcro pad when they don't have a backing

Found them on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Weird looking pads, how do they manage to stick to self adhering velcro pad when they don't have a backing

Found them on Ebay
    They have Velcro and attach pretty well. They are very thin though. I did manage to damage the first one that I had, just being too enthusiastic..... I tried to sand off a dag, which then dug into the pad and ####ed it.
    I think that if you aren't an idiot like me and don't go hard onto sharp bits, they should last pretty well.
    Made short work of smoothing the finish down to something workable......

The one i seen on Ebay looked like see thru mesh

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    The one i seen on Ebay looked like see thru mesh
    Yeah it is. That's how it doesn't clog. The dust goes straight through them.
    The back is a fine velcro. Sticks well enough though.

i used something like this from bunnings, didnt believe it would work. wont go back to sand paper if you try this.

A quick question. Why are you sanding flowcoat? After applying it, let it cure and bring the wax to the surface and the reaction (and job) is finished. If you need to sand flowcoat for any reason then an acetone wash down first removes the wax and then you can sand without contaminating the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    A quick question. Why are you sanding flowcoat? After applying it, let it cure and bring the wax to the surface and the reaction (and job) is finished. If you need to sand flowcoat for any reason then an acetone wash down first removes the wax and then you can sand without contaminating the surface.
    Just to get a more smooth surface, prior to wet sanding and polishing it.

Like the mesh sanders u use for gyprock?