Thread: Anyone removed a late 80's Mariner flywheel?

Anyone removed a late 80's Mariner flywheel?

Has anyone removed a 1987 model Mariner flywheel? trying to invest as little money possible as i am trying to sell the boat, had two people look at the boat and both walked away at $1900 due to the powerhead not running but i purchased 6 months ago a short block from Western Australia on Ebay buyers were not interested in the work so i grabbed a powerhead gasket kit this afternoon and i will change it over to get the engine running

also does anyone know why on earth Mariner has oil delivery hoses going to the crankcase from the air filter? seems rather crazy like it would lean out its a 2 stroke pre mix with no oil injection, just don't want the new powerhead to seize (old one ran lean from dirty carby melted piston)

Re: Anyone removed a late 80's Mariner flywheel?

Flywheel usually requires a puller, it is a taper fit on the shaft, put some pressure on the puller, then a "tap" on the centre puller bolt, and it should pop off. Some motors had drain hoses going to the air filter, these had valves in them to prevent oil going the wrong way.

Just to add, a short block is not a 5 minute job, make double sure you know what caused the original failure, or be prepared for a second go at it.

Yeaha bit unsure about this flywheel Noel it has around 6 bolts and the main crankshaft nut so unsure weather to remove the bolts and pull it from those holes, use a flywheel screw in puller or if i am meant to remove the bolts remove the flywheel than press off an adapter under the flywheel? i have never worked on a Mercury based engine like this, its a bit different to the Yamaha's and Johno/Evin's

something had slightly melted the No:1 piston top cylinder (3 inline) and the melted aluminum from the piston had melted over the rings and scored the cylinder, it could be anything really i only assumed blocked carby but it is a 3 cylinder with 2 carbies so you'd imagine the No:2 cylinder would be melted to unless the bottom carby made up for the leanness

it should only take me around 5-6 hours to replace the powerhead if no bolts are seized or stuck not that big of a job the E-Tec was much more hands on than this little fella

Looks like i need the ring lift it doubles as a flywheel puller i will just drop by a shop and pay someone to remove the flywheel just a bit of a hassle my Mercury dealer only has half a parking spot and i may need to tow the whole boat there

ring lift is 1 1/2" x 16

or metric 38mm x 1.5 pitch

tried looking on ebay for a motorcycle flywheel puller of this size but none available

Spent an hour yesterday afternoon just before dark i got everything off the block minus the starter but once a majority of the clutter was removed it was obvious what had caused the melted piston this outboard had over heated some parts of paint on the block are burnt and brown so i will put a new impeller in, clean the jets, put in a new thermostat in the new block

Gaz, anytime you see a melted no.1 piston the first assumption is overheat due to water pump weakness or water obstruction.Being the highest cylinder it is the first to go if cooling system fails.

Yeah the top carby was clean i had a bit of water in the bottom carby but both main jets were clean as a whistle and unabstructed

I took the flywheel off took the stator off still cannot get the boss bit off the old crank i tried the harmonic balance puller but the 3 bolt locations are not at 120 degrees of each other, got a few wires mixed up had a brain fart with all this rain i cant remember anything going to get a manual from ebay when i get stuck back into that boat again its 90% completed powerhead swap over

Havent seen u around for a bit BM

That mechanic who told me the furtherest cylinder from the water pump lets go first was true check this out its the impeller out of the fifty mariner that had melted the piston on cylinder number 1

awaiting parts impeller, timing light and workshop manual for timing numbers..

date on the impeller displayed 4th of 2009 so it hasn't been changed since noah was around