Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinze Dam WARNING!

Hinze Dam WARNING!

~~~><))))*>

Re: Hinze Dam WARNING!

With DAF and SEQWater recommending catch and release only, and the SIP Scheme being designed to replenish stocks in put and take fisheries, does this mean that DAF will remove Hinze from the SIP Scheme? It seems it will only be a matter of time until they ban fishing in the dam altogether.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Naturally occurring Mercury my arse!! Atmospheric deposition is the primary cause of mercury contamination to aquatic ecosystems. Caused by coal fired power stations.

I get it coal fired power stations have deposited the mercury in the granite,
    Cheers
    Ray

I get it coal fired power stations have deposited the mercury in the granite in the Hinze if that is the case why is it not in all dams not only in hinze.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    I get it coal fired power stations have deposited the mercury in the granite in the Hinze if that is the case why is it not in all dams not only in hinze.
    Cheers
    Ray
    I just guessing, but with Swanbank our biggest long term coal fired polluter in SEQ and our normal prevailing winds basically SE NE & SW/W, I would have thought Hinze might be out of the firing line. Wouldn't Moogerra, Big W & Somerset be more effected? Not to mention Boondooma's proximity to Taroong and Callide and Awoonga's procimity to Callide power station.
    ~~~><))))*>

[QUOTE=rayken1938;1648535]I get it coal fired power stations have deposited the mercury in the granite,
    Cheers
    Ray[/QUOTE
    Happy to admit I’m wrong if you can provide the lab report. I would never have thought that granite would contain mercury in concentrations that would allow it to bioaccumulate.

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Cheers
    Ray
    I don’t know. Do you know about sampling in these other dams? Volcanos, oil/petroleum coal deposits, bushfires and coal burning are sources of Mercury.

All SEQ water dams in SEQ were checked Hinze has a history of higher levels of mercury and previous investigation in 2006 determined the source is from the volcanic rock.Apparently the powdered rock collects in the sediment in the bottom of the dam and is eaten by microorganisms and it progressively moves up in the food chain.
    Cheers
    Ray

Ra

I be more worried about imported fish from the bog ponds of asia.

Now now Ray, don’t go confusing the issue with facts. That will spoil the hysteria.

I think you’ll find Hinze Dam is the only dam located in close proximity to rainforests.
    If we cut down and burn the rainforest for farms and housing estates they might find it will fix the Mercury problem.
    Either that or just ban Mercury outboards on the dam......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leftovers from the gold mining days?

Can’t see how the mercury in Hinze fish would be any worse then the fluoride in out drinking water.

Chow down Dude.