Thread: Caught a smallish spotted Mackerel

Caught a smallish spotted Mackerel

My missus sent me off on a charter boat out from Raby Bay last Tuesday, It was with Aria cruises on a 10m sailing cat. Ended up somewhere near the "pipes" apparently near Mud Island? They pulled up some crab pots on the way out there and back and got about 8 sandies. The fishing was pretty slow with the usual heap of undersized juvenile snappers and other assorted small fish. A smallish school of spotted mackerel came through and I managed to christen my new Tica Uzio reel. The fish was on the smallish side (2.25Kg) but still fun for a minute or two but no match for the reel. At least I managed to get a feed and it was the only fish landed. A couple of the other guys were bitten off as we weren't using any traces, my line got cut off just after it went into the landing net so I was very lucky. Still just a fun morning on a very flattish bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Caught a smallish spotted Mackerel

sounds like a great day mate.

Unlikely to be a spottie mate but good catch regardless

Thanks, but definitely a spottie. The spots have faded a bit since it was caught about 3 hours earlier and it wasn't put on ice so the spots have faded, it also isn't a great picture. Still good chewing though. . I was surprised there wasn't any ice in the esky but I supposed that is the way they operate. They did put it in a bag with ice for me to take home.

The day was nice considering the day before it was blowing about 20-25km and we had quite flat seas so I was quite happy just enjoying the trip, the fish was just a bonus for me. My wife paid just $50 for the 5 hour trip on one of those "Cudo" web specials, so couldn't complain about the price.

you have done extra well if it is a spotty....they don't arrive till December in moreton bay...….I have had a good run in last few months bagging out quite often on the schoolies, after bleeding I put them on a very cold ice slurry, otherwise I have found them to go mushy

Had the unusual experience a few years back of catching a school mackerel in Jervis bay.
    Must have caught the same southerly current as Nemo.

Yep, a few get caught around me too, at least a couple every year, but about 10 years ago, they turned up in big schools, never seen it again though.