Thread: Optimax experts?

Optimax experts?

Had an issue arise this morning with my 06 175hp opti, left the ramp start to get up on the plane hits 2500 rpm and alarm sounds and motor starts hunting with excess engine speed alarm on the gauges. Repeat again 2500rpm same thing.

Limp back to ramp under 2500 and come home. A bit of googling thinks it may be gear selector switch faulty (they have a 2500 rpm limiter for neutral) but motor still won't let me start in gear so may not be?
    Any ideas before it heads to the shop for possible expensive bill?
    Cheers.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: Optimax experts?

Sounds like limp mode on a modern engine,have u checked the tell tale for water pressure, what about oil level?, could be faulty thermostats not allowing sufficient cooling

these engines are technical pieces of machinery and anything obstruction in its way can put it into limp mode

are u able to run a diagnostics?

Runs fine no alarms up until 2500rpm. Temps good oil tanks full. Merc Guages gives engine overspeed warning and cuts revs. Drop the rpm and its all good again until 2500rpm. If I cant find something simple/obvious next step is workshop for diagnostics scan.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

see Troy at Brisbane Marine.

BigE

Michael at Cooparoo Marine (Merc) at Cav Road.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Certainly no expert on black motors (or white ones for that matter) but what I have seen a couple of times on Opti's is faults induced by wiring chafing on edges on the engine block giving off false alarms. First step would be to confirm how the alarm is generated - information that should be in the service manual. Then start looking.

Scottar weird u say that i have chaffing on a fuel hose on the E-Tec too weird how something so modern and with all the cable ties and routing of hoses and wires something like this can happen, mine is chaffed pretty bad to the point it may have caused a leaning problem very soon and it was in a very obvious position to see too