Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary tale about keeping a good lookout.

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: A cautionary tale about keeping a good lookout.

i spent 2 hours out with coastgaurd and marine rescue at 2 am lookin for a blokes body up pumistone passage after he and a mate in a 16foot 140hp boat come back in to find some supplies and on way back out hit a parked houseboat yes easy enough to see but at high speed and a dim lit moon you only need to look away for a few seconds and wamo they hit it one lived the other bloke we didnt find that night but a plane seen him floatin a day or 2 later. so yes dont rely on anyone or anything more then your own sense and 2 eyes looking where your going at all times it all happens to quick. and if your the captain with others on board your job is to get em home safe not look around taking photos or lookin at babes lol..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Those big ships don't usually have a captain steering them at sea, mostly would be an IR(Integrated Rated seaman?) on watch. Luckily they are mostly dry boats(no alcohol) these days, some of the stories I've heard of the old days, wow!!!

Muz

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
    Those big ships don't usually have a captain steering them at sea, mostly would be an IR(Integrated Rated seaman?) on watch. Luckily they are mostly dry boats(no alcohol) these days, some of the stories I've heard of the old days, wow!!!

Muz
    Very few ships have IR's on them these days - mostly foreign crewed (there are bugger all Aussie "ships" left). There will always be an officer on watch be it the captain, first or second mate etc as well as another crew member - or at least there should be. Our company has a minimum two sets of eyes on the bridge during hours of darkness - unfortunately standards around the globe are probably not always up to scratch.

Ausfish Silver Member

they may be on deck scottar, but there probably playing cards lol.
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    One time my mate and I were coming back from the shelf, I was just "dozing" in the passenger seat, and he was laying back, steering with his feet, I sort of happened to open my eyes at the exact moment we went past Bass Point, missed it by about 10M he was sound asleep, there was boats all around fishing, pretty scary to think of the possibilities, no idea how the boat kept course over about 40 mins of driving, with just his feet resting on the wheel.
    Noel did u use the bass point boat ramp? Your brave if u did lol that location is rough as guts i use to fish there a lot

Brother Sharkbait amazingly in such a big city like Sydney there was a unlit marker in Botany Bay to the south between the bridges it was there for a while too in such a location you'd think maritime would be on the ball it was a bent pole painted yellow on the top from memory i think it was on the captain cooks bridge side of the small bay just out sode of the moored boats

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Noel did u use the bass point boat ramp? Your brave if u did lol that location is rough as guts i use to fish there a lot
    No, I use Shellharbour ramp, the one at Bass Point near the gravel loader is closed, it's OK for tinnies if it's calm

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    they may be on deck scottar, but there probably playing cards lol.
    More like updating Facebook these days! Computers and iPhones on the bridge are a curse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Trev, the pic doesn't work for me. Wasn't the sand dredge by any chance.
    45kph in 700m deep water on the shelf - nah not a 350m long super fast dredge or trawler :-)
    Cheers

Trev

Trev, the pic doesn't work for me. Wasn't the sand dredge by any chance.
    Imagine only port/starboard lights and a bow light and one over the cabin - otherwise pitch black 350m long ship

Pitch black and no sign of cabin lights
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Imagine only port/starboard lights and a bow light and one over the cabin - otherwise pitch black 350m long ship

Trev, ghost ship maybe, seen a few boats like that when out at night.

sam

Scottar,

yeah mate, not many Ozzie ships left, my mates were on the old bulkies in the older days, iron newcastle, and some others Sturt / Prince etc. and are now all on Supply and tow rigs moving oil rigs (big arse tug things) servicing oil rigs in WA and up north. One good mate is an engineer on the tassie spirit which is fun when we catch up as we all know IR's and engineers get on so well. MUA all the way, lol
    I've been on a few ships and that was when the bars were open, like 50 cents for a bourbon, crazy.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post

Trev if he had a cabin light on he'd be driving blind folded as all he would see is the inside of his boat, try looking out into your street one night with the lounge room light on see how good u can see out the front without porch light on

sounds like he had his lights on so legally he is ok on that part but coming within the distance outlined by maritime i guess that all depends who is in the right

Trev, ghost ship maybe, seen a few boats like that when out at night.

sam
    A ship making ghosts out of live people :-)
    I was pretty excited at the time
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Trev if he had a cabin light on he'd be driving blind folded as all he would see is the inside of his boat, try looking out into your street one night with the lounge room light on see how good u can see out the front without porch light on

sounds like he had his lights on so legally he is ok on that part but coming within the distance outlined by maritime i guess that all depends who is in the right
    If only he was looking outside the ship. I had two floodlights on roof illuminating hundreds of metres around me as I drifted.
    The night was dead calm and I was laying on my back staring at the stars and even seeing orbiting satellites. I was also listening to the whales both spouts and talking - it was really cool. I got up as I had over 100 garfish next to the boat going troppo otherwise I would never have seen the ship until it ran me over.
    Approaching dead on they are fast and silent.
    Alongside they are very loud.
    Anyway a bullet dodged and maybe 1 in 1000 odds but knowing my luck this is the sorta lottery I would win
    Cheers

Trev