Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First boat - recommendations for Port Phillip Bay

Re: First boat - recommendations for Port Phillip Bay

If boat yards are your thing, check out JV marine world in Braeside, i recently went from sydney to melbourne to buy a boat. Why ? the same boat in melbourne will be 6-9 grand cheaper than in NSW or QLD. cost me $400 bucks in fuel to save thousands.

jezzbo

Save your money and consider this https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...=0&pss=Premium

Light to tow, extremely seaworthy, soft riding, PPB will never worry it.
    You can play in the surf with one of these if the mood takes you. High safe bow.

If you get sick of the power you can change over to a 4 stroke later.

Should have kept mine, great boats.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

starting to see a few of those express customs, looks like a good lilttle sea rig, that etec should be plenty power to push. are these boats aussie made. the high shoulder on it looks cross between a cuddy and runabout. looks like a very good first boat , only 80 hours on motor.

catshark

When he left Brisbane David Payne took the Express design and patents to Fiji as a longboat and from there it has spent time in Malaysia and now is built in Indonesia all be it in a simplified form http://www.etamaxsumatra.com/express-200.html They were sold here as the 5.6 Overnighter the 5.2 the 5.0 and 48 and 4.4 I think. Too different in that they were not welded together but they diddnt leak and helld together well. A friend of mine used to play in the surf with his with no problems.

well there you go , alloy boat with no welds, DUROJOINT proven stronger than welds, some people sure have the nack to invent clever ideas.

Hi Chimo This is my Express i have just finished renovation on P9120001.JPGPB100001.JPG

If you read the fine print, durojoint is stronger than a weld for plate alluminium under 3mm thick. Does that mean all these boats are less than 3mm thick? Most quintrex/stacer/other brands have 3mm bottoms/sides anyway. Does this mean its not as strong as boats with 3mm bottoms?

personally, not enough bling to make it anything other than a small seller.

Datcol

Looks good from this distance; is it on the market by any chance?
    PM if you wish (serious question.)

Cheers
    Chimo

Hi all!

I might have found a boat that fits the bill and the budget, but it's a private listing...

2014 QUINTREX 450 FISHABOUT
    Mercury 60HP with 50 hours (I think), Garaged, looks good from the photos, outside metro melbourne (Longwarry).
    ttps://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2014-QUINTREX-450-Fishabout/SSE-AD-5618782

At face value, this looks like a fairly good fit, but I'm curious to get a second opinion, given it's been listed for some time (last updated 31 August) and hasn't moved.
    Also, can anyone recommend someone for a pre-purchase inspection in that area (about 1hr east of melbourne eastern suburbs). Looks like it has been serviced by warragul service centre so probably best to get someone independant?

Many thanks!
    - Jethro

PM, member BM on here, he might be close enough to help you out.

hey Jezzbo, i googled that boat your talking, looks a clean outfit, alloy trailer and good HP 60 fourstroke. low hours, the fuel economy would be awesome. usaully a dealer would have sold that with a 40-50 hp max but looks like the one owner selected the bigger power option on sale, thats a feather in your hat, Again you would expect it to be in mickey mouse conditon , however with 50 hours in 4 years, average of 9 hours per year, not a lot of use. and ask for the service history etc ......if it checks out okay , definetly would be a great first boat. With regular 100 hr services, the number of hours of use you could expect from a 4 stroke is around 2000-4000 hours . The only con is it might be a bit squishy with 4 adults and two kids , its really a two adult and one kid boat. good luck

Looks alright.