Thread: furuno 628 settings

furuno 628 settings

Hey guys,

I have a furuno 628 and are having troubles getting it set up right as cant get a clear picture too pixilated and to much interference. Fishing to 120mts. Any help appreciated.

Re: furuno 628 settings

Quote Originally Posted by boatrower View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a furuno 628 and are having troubles getting it set up right as cant get a clear picture too pixilated and to much interference. Fishing to 120mts. Any help appreciated.
    At rest or underway, also what frequency are you using, the more info you provide the more chance of a reply. My transducer actually clicked up and was pointing backwards slightly so the signal would be very sporadic and pixilated.

With a good installation, the auto settings in the smaller Furuno's are actually pretty good. The main change for deeper water is to set your TVG to high. I also set up the "Key" function as a short cut to shift so I can run a range of usually 30 to 40 metres and then shift that range down to the required depth. Chart speed on mine sits at 1:1 all the time. I do run the gain in manual - simply turn it up until the screen clutters and then bac a fraction to clean the image up. Are you running any other sounders? Is the picture good at rest but has issues when motoring or is it poor all the time?

Hey scotta,
    Running a garmin 750s as well and the picture on it is perfect but generally only us it for charts and engine readouts. Pic is okay at rest but bad when underway.
    Dignity running a P66 transducer and alternating between 50 & 200hz

For starters turn off the sounder in the Garmin. There will most likely be interference between the two.

Attachment 117812

Mine works well

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    For starters turn off the sounder in the Garmin. There will most likely be interference between the two.
    Scott i didnt think that was possible with the 750S unless you got behind the dash to remove the transducer cable physically as the 6 pin cable plugs into one cable that then supplies both power and transducer readings via one cable into one socket, in mine it means awkward access. All future models of the GPSMap series the transducer cable runs direct to the a separate socket in back of the unit so is easy to not connect. I currently run the 750S with a P66 also and a 751xs but the transducers are on opposite sides of the hull. If the transducers are too close together, less than 300 mm then problems occur also. The depth and angle of the transducer should also be checked.

Boatrower also check the transducer is fully down as if it is too deep being a plastic bracket it pops and is not fully locked in so tilts slightly up, mine has several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Scott i didnt think that was possible with the 750S unless you got behind the dash to remove the transducer cable physically .
    There is usually a way in the menu Sam. Been a long time since I played with a 750 so I can't be more specific. Could be as simple as turning the scroll speed to stop or a "pause sonar" setting in the menu. If you activate these and put your ear to the transducer you will be able to tell if it still transmitting - if it is you can hear the transducer clicking. If it's silent, it's stopped and any interference between units will stop as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    There is usually a way in the menu Sam. Been a long time since I played with a 750 so I can't be more specific. Could be as simple as turning the scroll speed to stop or a "pause sonar" setting in the menu. If you activate these and put your ear to the transducer you will be able to tell if it still transmitting - if it is you can hear the transducer clicking. If it's silent, it's stopped and any interference between units will stop as well.
    Scott, pause sonar could work, never used it on the 750S but have on the 751xs to create wave points, I always thought this was really only a screen freeze. Bit hard putting my ear anywhere near the transducer under a step/duck board. 😆😆