Thread: Fuel Burn Numbers

Fuel Burn Numbers

Evening all, just looking at firming up how i spread the underfloor cavity between fuel and water tanks and was looking for some average "trip burn" figures for plateys 6 to 7 with 200 to 250 4 strokes. I've been doing my numbers around around an average trip burn of 1.3 litres per nautical mile on the 225 yammy, maybe i'm dreaming and it will be closer to 1.5 lites per mile?? Ovbiously lots of variables involved but keen to hear a few averages around what similiar packages are burning for a trip.

Re: Fuel Burn Numbers

810mls per 1km gee whizz i was getting something like that from a 1988 70hp Evinrude on a quintrex 5m alloy hull lol, oh how the world is advancing so fastly its crazy

I average 1 to 1.10 litres per kilometre on 24foot fibreglass, 300HP mecruiser. Had 3 adults, 2 kids and 380 litres fuel on board yesterday. This is at cruise speed of 42k/ph at 3500 RPM ish.

I have a Surtees 650 game Fisher with Yamaha 200(4 cylinder) and after 25 hours am averaging 1.66km/L. Usually 3 on board with full fuel and gear. BMT weighs in at about 2150, so the boat is around 1550kg on water.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Pretty hard to get an accurate "trip burn" simply because trips vary from place to place, some reef trips are a couple of days, and way offshore, for me, a big trip would be a quarter that (or less) so you need to figure out your expected biggest trip and go from there.

Mercury Verado 250hp on 7m. Fast cruise 0.8km/L. Normal cruise 0.9-1.0 km/L. Most economical still planing cruise 1.1 km/L.

Ideally I would have a 400 litre tank if choosing.

Thanks all, seems like 1.4 or 5 litres per mile is about the number i should be working on basis above and a bit of other research.Thanks for the replies. I settled on 375 litres of fuel and 50 litres of water.

Scott

Gday Scott, doesn’t Dave put the water tanks under either side of the rear step/pod thing anymore? Mine are built into each rear corner, about 60lt each side. The centre tunnel is only fuel and kill tank.
    Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

He'll put them wherever you want them Lee!!, note that the 20 degree ones are a bit different in construction to the originals as well. I actually wasn't going to bother with a water tank but when i calculated what would fit fuel wise i thought that maybe there is an opportunity to convert some of that to water tankage given familly boating and camping usage, at this stage to late in construction to try fit water somewhere else. I think where i landed will be fine, if i end up forever being short on fuel ill just convert that water capaicity to fuel and a buy a couple of water jerries for the camping trips.

Yeh sounds good mate. 375lt is quit a bit of range with the economy of the 4 strokes these days. I bet your getting keen to get it finished now. Enjoy it
    Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh