Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riptide No.2 takeing shape

Re: Riptide No.2 takeing shape

On the water the other day , i saw a plate boat very similiar to your hull shape and was amazed how it was cutting the swell so fine.

Nice boat Out Station,
    Can you give an opinion of the Reactor auto pilot.
    Which model did you end up with and have you tried it at trolling speed.

TMC

TMC, its just the small one compact reactor with the 1L pump with the gh something control head all networked with the rest of the outfir. Originlly i put the heading sensor in the wrong way around so after a month of driving around backwards i got around to turning it around and i ran all the various calibrations up at somerset last weekend and did some driving around with it. All i can say that there was nothing that came up out of those couple of hourse to say to me a have the wrong unit. Seemed to work pretty well at all speeds including idle. I talked to quite a few people given i was new to AP's and the feedback on these baselines units was good for what they are, i'm guessing pump size is small which may limit it but there is a heap of them out there doing the job by all reports. Raymarine was the other unit that seemed to pop up as well.

Scott

Catshark, sorry, missed your question. Floor material is is regupol, essentially a 3mm rubber matt type material. Great for non slip and cleanliness etc, loving it so far, only drawback it has is its weight being rubber (about 35Kg's of floor material in this rig).
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    TMC, its just the small one compact reactor with the 1L pump with the gh something control head all networked with the rest of the outfir. Originlly i put the heading sensor in the wrong way around so after a month of driving around backwards i got around to turning it around and i ran all the various calibrations up at somerset last weekend and did some driving around with it. All i can say that there was nothing that came up out of those couple of hourse to say to me a have the wrong unit. Seemed to work pretty well at all speeds including idle. I talked to quite a few people given i was new to AP's and the feedback on these baselines units was good for what they are, i'm guessing pump size is small which may limit it but there is a heap of them out there doing the job by all reports. Raymarine was the other unit that seemed to pop up as well.

Scott
    One litre pump is more than adequate for 99.9 % of trailer boats. Going to the bigger pump and having too much flow can cause just as many issues as not having enough. Due to the extremely directional nature of outboard steering, you would need very large steering rams for the 2 litre pump to be a requirement.

Ausfish Platinum Member

+1 for the Raymarine unit. I have the EV-100 unit with the p70Rs control head. This has a knob for course adjustments, invaluable. I know you can run them straight off your MFD's, but having that control mounted where it falls naturally to hand is gold. i'm constantly blown away by how good this thing is, without the need for a rudder feedback unit. I have long history with autopilots on larger boats, and always missed them on a trailer boat. I can run across a gnarly, unpredictable beam sea, tide running against wind, at 20 knots, and just leave the pilot on. One hand on the throttle, if a situation looks like developing, just a tiny tad of throttle off, then restore as you hit the bottom of the hole. Best $2k-odd you can spend on a trailer boat,after you have the basics, IMO.

Like you Ranmar, love my Raymarine pilot. No RFU which was the bug bear of my TMQ and what bought on getting the Raymarine. One of the best heading sensors in the industry lets it get by without the RFU.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the name of th boat. Being an ex military engineer I was considering using it for the name of my next boat. Holdfast is the nickname given to Engineers on the radio.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Lovey, thanks and i didn't know that about the term, i came up with "hold fast" before even started the boat, i near called it something else a few months back when on facebook one night i saw a shipyard in WA had just launched a 100 odd foot cray boat called "hold fast". But then i figured being a nautical tye term there would be a few other hold fasts out there so got over it. I didn't want recycle "Out-Station" which was the old rig. Cheers.