Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Steve to much i cant afford it, found one or two in Sydney but they are old and beatin up

I drove 7 hours to pick up that 2010 Mercury 90hp 4 stroke it was in a lot worse condition than the guy advertised but is repairable just needs a ton of welding i may bake the block in my bbq and weld it my self but will see

anyone want to buy Etec 115hp 130hp everything for sale...

EDIT: i think i hit gold guys this is the engine i just bought for $800 from gumtree the top conrod has spun around and smashed all the crankcase to bits in a big circle done a lot of damage the seller was trying to hide, this engine sat on gumtree for 4 months at $800 no one bought it,when i picked it up the seller mentioned the same thing i found out that the only crankcases new were $3000USD but low and behold when i got home i found a complete powerhead for $1000 and quiet a few pieces to piece together a powerhead for under $1000

$1800 engine gotta be worth six thousand surely in running condition

Got some cash from the Etec parts to sink into this Mercury, What would u guys do replace my bottom half of my crankcase and weld/sleeve the old block or buy another block for close to $1000? the powerhead is overseas so may get picked up by customs and sent thru the ringer because its been used unsure how customs would actually clean it without totally ....... it

so far from the damage i can see i need a second hand block, second hand crank, new rod new piston kit, gasket kit and shes good to go

old mate i bought it off said it had takin salt water into the cylinder the crank web in the very top cylinder is rusty but i don't know how long the engine has sat at Ulladulla a coastal town i am thinking it may have rusted just from salt water in the air entering the gaping hole in the casing

does anyone know these engines and where it would possibly leak water internally? with the Etec it supposedly comes in with the fuel so i read

This is gonna be a bit patronising but u say u have 2 grand but not 3 for a perfect condition yammie v4 130 2 stroke. But u will drive 7 hours to look at a piece of crap you souldn't take if it was free costing how much in fuel and tolls?. Then consider driving another 7 hours picking it up. Even if you manage to rebuild and rescue an old four or an etec without any gotchas or hidden issues it's resale will be worth zip? (from what I understand rebuilt motors aren't common and everyone is rightly quite dubious as to the quality?). Where you could conceivably use the 2 banger for a few years and sell it for what u paid for it. There are heaps of good condition running two bangers from trade ins. A bit of hagging would surely see that asking price come down real quick?
    Fuel and oil costs really are minimal difference on that size motor and usually shared among crew if you are taking mates out. Plus two strokes do have their advantages. Fair enough if you like doing it but it shouldn't be a financial issue because from what I read financially it makes zero sense. Even if you don't have much left over sometimes it pays to just save for a bit longer. Again sorry if patronising just seems like a lot of risk for little reward

What happen to the etec rebuild man , was it going to be a technical nightmare,? the mercury might be a better rebuild option and you might make some coin on it or keep it on your rig ....but at 165kg and 90 ponies hard out.. your not going to like it man , it gonna be sad. rebuild and make some coin on this and then get a big ass yammy saltwater two stroke and then your gonna be glad...

I personally wouldn't be welding anything, if you can get a second hand good part, go that way for sure.

as has been said above adding up the expenditure on that etec and this 90 you could have had a running decent 2 stroke Yamaha.

anyone with any sense will not buy a backyard rebuilt outboard and even from a dealer will ask for parts and machine work performed as most claimed rebuilds are just a new set of rings and a hone

My i cant justify $3000 on any 2 stroke outboard. As i see it strolling thru fb and gumtree classifieds every bloke is tossing the old 2 stroke on there because they have upgraded pretty much gove it 5 years there will be no value in 2 strokes

Cat the reliabilty has had me worried about fixing the etec basically the etec was only going to be repairable if the crank journal was ok if i had to buy another crank the repair would have ran up to 3k or possibly more than the etecs are prone to injector failing without warning and that melts the piston and surely damages the crank and rod journals pretty much pissing away a usd $1200 crank
    This mercury was 1 of 3 i was looking at buying when i bought the etec

Thanks for the advice Noel im tossing up to get the local block or one from overseas there is a guy overseas also that sells a full reco crank with rods and all new bearings for usd $500 i just have to get the core back over there or its $500 extra but sounds like a great deal

Steve the etec is not a loss i've had it listed for 2 days and made back 1/3rd of what it cost me

I still have the gearbox, tilt trim unit, mid section with working exhaust valve, cylinder heads, fuel pump, oil pump, stator, side plastics, top cowling, EMM, I'm letting it all go cheap

i didnt say its a loss i was saying if you combined what you have spent you would have a engine that hasn't been opened up and suited to the task
    tbh with all the faffing around you probably would have had enough to buy a complete four stroke if you just waited and saved while you finished the hull

basically stop buying other peoples busted piles of shit

And regarding the two stroke, they will always be a demand for them as many older hulls just dont behave well with a new engine
    also these engines have a low value anyway so who cares if they are valueless in 5 years, who cares if you lose $1k on a $3k purchase its just not a valid reason for dismissing them
    the fact they work will give you enough hp and be light enough to work with a older hull is why you buy it

no one is trying to shit on you here everyone wants to see you on the water and enjoying it
    somethings you do just dont make sense

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    My i cant justify $3000 on any 2 stroke outboard. As i see it strolling thru fb and gumtree classifieds every bloke is tossing the old 2 stroke on there because they have upgraded pretty much gove it 5 years there will be no value in 2 strokes

Cat the reliabilty has had me worried about fixing the etec basically the etec was only going to be repairable if the crank journal was ok if i had to buy another crank the repair would have ran up to 3k or possibly more than the etecs are prone to injector failing without warning and that melts the piston and surely damages the crank and rod journals pretty much pissing away a usd $1200 crank
    This mercury was 1 of 3 i was looking at buying when i bought the etec

Thanks for the advice Noel im tossing up to get the local block or one from overseas there is a guy overseas also that sells a full reco crank with rods and all new bearings for usd $500 i just have to get the core back over there or its $500 extra but sounds like a great deal

Steve the etec is not a loss i've had it listed for 2 days and made back 1/3rd of what it cost me

I still have the gearbox, tilt trim unit, mid section with working exhaust valve, cylinder heads, fuel pump, oil pump, stator, side plastics, top cowling, EMM, I'm letting it all go cheap
    I was gobsmacked at the price of second hand parts for the 115 evinrudes I have, I was going to flog them off for $1500 each before a Repower but now thinking I will break them down and sell for parts and would probably get 5k each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Steve i suck at saving money, so far i have spent $1500 on the Etec and $800 on the Mercury what could $2300 possibly buy? nothing really all i seen where 115hp johnsons built in 1988 for that price mate anything of that vintage has likely been rebuilt, those old 2 strokes are not something i want on my boat having a old 2 stroke on my boat will only devalue it once the 2 stroke economy goes down hill there are already a bunch of 2 stroke nazi's and there will be a heap more once 2 strokes are banned

if u stroll thru the classifieds and actually read the description u will see just how many people are selling off these engines its the big dash for people to try get some coin back on there engines before they are worthless all these guys selling these engines state in there adds they have upgraded to 4 stroke

i dont want to sink $3000 into a engine that is diminishing in value really fast take a look on fb at people asking what there engines are valued at 50 percent are already saying the old 2 strokes are worth nothing you can see gumtree flooded with highly priced 2 stroke engines that are not moving no one is buying them its owners grasping at the last straw to get money back on there purchases

this mercury is a engine i plan on keeping for my self it doesn't need to appeal to anyone else as a rebuilt unit because it is for me only, if i were to sell it for some reason i don't doubt my mechanical skills if i were to go to tafe to to get certified as a marine mechanic i will know must of the knowledge i have been rebuilding engines for 25 years

the etec was a good buy but than the common problems the G1 suffers got the better of me its not a matter if the engines will blow up again its a matter of when if i am trolling 50 meters off the rocks outside i want to know i have that reliability that the engine will keep chugging along

one last bit if i were to go out and buy the etec 2011 model 130hp in running order i would be looking at $9000, if i were to go buy the mercury 90hp 2010 model i would be looking at $7000 where would i be pulling that kind of money out from?

I'm not sure why you are fretting about resale value either. If you get 5-10 years of good service out of a used two stroke and you haven't paid much for it then why does it matter if you are left with little residual value? The depreciation per year is acually quite small.

Some might recall my thread when I was looking at rebuiding my motor and ended up looking for a replacement. I was quoted 15K for a 90 hp 4 stroke.fitted which is really over capitalising on an old boat and there is a question as to how well it would perform. I ended up getting a used Parsun 90 which had only done 10 hrs and came with a service and 1 year warranty for $5200. I couldn't be happier with the way it performs - quieter than my old Tohatsu, not much weight on the transom at 120 kg, good fuel economy.

sorry think you've either not understood or you already have pre conceived ideas and wont be swayed
    work out a way to save or have someone hold it as you are going to be paying more for less by the time this is all finished

that 80hp wont be enough for your boat, I had a 90hp 2 stroke on a small hull and was just enough

2 strokes wont be banned from use in your or my life time. only restricted from sale new
    how can $3000 devalue any more anyway and as billfish said 5-10 years for a few grand drop in price
    your boat is not going to go up in value no matter what is bolted to the rear

your boat itself will be worth the same no matter the outboard fitted the total sale price will reflect the individual components hull trailer outboard and anyone looking at a 30+ year old boat is going to understand this

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    I'm not sure why you are fretting about resale value either. If you get 5-10 years of good service out of a used two stroke and you haven't paid much for it then why does it matter if you are left with little residual value? The depreciation per year is acually quite small.

Some might recall my thread when I was looking at rebuiding my motor and ended up looking for a replacement. I was quoted 15K for a 90 hp 4 stroke.fitted which is really over capitalising on an old boat and there is a question as to how well it would perform. I ended up getting a used Parsun 90 which had only done 10 hrs and came with a service and 1 year warranty for $5200. I couldn't be happier with the way it performs - quieter than my old Tohatsu, not much weight on the transom at 120 kg, good fuel economy.
    Bill Sadly you would struggle to get $1500 for that engine in today's market thats if it would even sell

Steve how would i be paying more for less? how on earth will a $800 engine that cost to buy in running condition $7000 that means i have $6200 for repairs to get a equal or better engine a powerhead is all i need there was one on ebay australia just yesterday for $1200 but the seller didn't get back to me