Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Steve i have owned 4.2-4.3m boats before they are to little for what i plan on doing mate i want to be able to smash my way back thru any chop if a southerly hits and we are out at the FAD's i don't want to be limping back or even placing my self or mates in a hair raising situation

Bloody hell did i get lucky or did i get lucky there is next to no damage on the crankshaft conrod journal in the pic u can see the reflection of the crankcase so it looks as if the journal is burnt but there is no damage, the metal in this E-Tec is as strong as my 14 year old boarder collie!!!

Not too sure what to do about the overheated crank, just guessing, I would say it was lack of oil, not no oil, just not enough, the roller bearings always go first, looks like it was on the brink of disaster when the rod broke, is the "blue" one the one that had the broken rod?

It's not blue Noel its just the reflection of the crankcase the reed section is reflecting off the journal the top 3 journals are all sweet besides the slight ring on the top cylinder that is the one that let go but the ring around the journal cannot be felt with a finger nail so it is only minor

the last journal on the bottom has me a little worried its slightly burnt hopefully a polish can bring it out

so far on all 4 journals there are no scratches or scrapes there is only coloration and that one ever so light ring

the top STB piston that let go shared a bottom end wall with the top PORT piston so shit got into there too but only a few pieces will show the PORT piston pics now there were still chunks of the other piston inside of this piston when i pulled it out

Conrod pictures light markings but i think they can be reused i will get them double checked

I'm stating the obvious here, but make sure everything is spotless clean, this is not the sort of motor you assemble outside on the grass, clean the bench, clean your tools, clean your hands, and double wash everything.

my engines get rebuilt in the shed i often rebuild motocross bikes Noel so i know about being clean they are high strung high revving engines that hit the limiter all the time, i rebuilt two bikes in the past year a WR250F and a DRZ400E both still running strong today, my car engine is the only one i rebuilt out of the shed because i don't have a garage that engine is 3.5 years old and about 70,000km's put on it still my daily driver

I'm hopping to have the case welded and new sleeve put in for $1000 maybe wishful thinking, a WSM rebuild kit out of the USA will cost $1250 and a new conrod i think i quoted one at $300 Aus so all up around $4000 for a brand new running engine thats around $1500 cheaper than the used market for a 2007 90hp and it is $4500 cheaper than the same engines on the internet that have had a rebuilt powerhead

Anyone know of a reputable engineering company i can get quotes from on doing the re-sleeve, boring and honing, plus welding the block? if they are good will like them to look at the crankshaft also for a polish or advice

Located in Sydney, I want to get a few quotes

all good just wanted to point out the other option
    people rarely get caught out by southerlies they just have no idea what they are doing in terms of checking the weather

id still take a engine that hasn't detonated over one thats been rebuilt for only 1500 difference

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    all good just wanted to point out the other option
    people rarely get caught out by southerlies they just have no idea what they are doing in terms of checking the weather

id still take a engine that hasn't detonated over one thats been rebuilt for only 1500 difference
    Steve i am actually saving $5000 by rebuilding my engine than going and buying one already running, the going price for a E-Tec 130hp 2011 model is $9000 with a rebuilt powerhead

the $1500 was comparing what was on the market which was a 90hp 3 cylinder 2007 model for $5500 (my purchase and rebuild will be in total about $4000)

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Anyone know of a reputable engineering company i can get quotes from on doing the re-sleeve, boring and honing, plus welding the block? if they are good will like them to look at the crankshaft also for a polish or advice

Located in Sydney, I want to get a few quotes
    check out around unaderra area there are a few there close together.

Thanks Cat, Need one that does 2 strokes i could take it to a marine shop but they'll just send it to the engineering company and add an additional cost on for there handling, first shop will be the guy who done my car engine cylinder head and other work on a honda 50hp cylinder head he was pretty cheap too but i suspect the sleeving will sting me as its not a easy process and lots of machining involved

one thing i am worried is the engineering company says they cannot get a welder into weld the block due to the blind cylinder

Probably ask at a good motor bike shop, they might be able to put you onto someone, I don't think many places do that sort of thing these days, it's more a throw away world, so, if something major happens, you just buy a new one, kind of like the guy that owned this motor did, what exactly do you need doing to the crank? I would reckon lots of fabrication shops could weld the block, but, if it's not accessible, then you're doomed? unless you can source a second hand one, if it is definately the same as the old FICHT, then there is hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Probably ask at a good motor bike shop, they might be able to put you onto someone, I don't think many places do that sort of thing these days, it's more a throw away world, so, if something major happens, you just buy a new one, kind of like the guy that owned this motor did, what exactly do you need doing to the crank? I would reckon lots of fabrication shops could weld the block, but, if it's not accessible, then you're doomed? unless you can source a second hand one, if it is definately the same as the old FICHT, then there is hope.
    Yeah i think i will have to shop around all engineer companies do 4 strokes because its a typical car engine heat it press cylinder out press new one in but this is a 2 stroke and has pre cut ports in the sleeve that need to line up so its tricky, i was once told everything mechanical can be repaired but at what cost is the question

when the car engineer looks at the block if he suggest getting another one i will ask if the blind section of the block can be cut out than weld the graze than weld back in the blind section

the FICHT DFI is the same block but these blocks are rarer than wooden rocking horse s... that is why the shop i bought the engine from never repaired it they sat on it for 6 months waiting for one to show up

welding is about $120 per hour, last time i was quoted on a 2 stroke resleeve it were something like $400 so I'm looking at a bit of coin

I'll try get the block off today and split it see what the crank main's look like

Forgot the pic