Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Here is the pin location Fed

Old mate just quoted $150-$200 to weld, machine and re-sleeve the E-Tec block how bloody cheap is that, he said he couldn't do anything with the crankshaft because it has needle bearings or roller bearings he mentioned because the engine smashed to bits there are tiny bits of metal on the crankshaft journals and its sketchy to machine the crankshaft because of those bearings are one size fitment only hesaid he could polish it but that's about all he can do

the rod journals look ok but looking at the crank journals they took a bit of a knock around

if i want to do a brand new job its cough up USD $1400 or a new crankshaft, Aud $3000 or run with what i have

Back in the "old days" oversized roller sets were available for crankshaft machining, might be worth seeing a bearing place just for kicks! polishing might be OK, seeing as it's not badly scored, don't know how he can weld and fit a sleeve for that price, can you readily locate a sleeve?

just for info NQ outboard wreckers in Townsville have a large number of motors
    also angus smith marine have some old motors and a ficht v4 that I know of.

Noel i might try this motorcycle shop as they will work around needle bearings a lot in the industry, the shop i went to today is a car engineering company so he would mostly work with shell bearings rather than needle and ball bearings

he did mention the $150-$200 was for welding,machining and sleeving but he said it depends on the sleeve i think he meant if he needs to machine to sleeves outside diameter to fit the block than it will cost more, if its a strait press out repair than press in those are the prices

the sleeve has to come out of the USA from LA Sleeves or Advanced Sleeves, one of those two mentioned i read on there site they can make any sleeve to order for almost every engine

my cousin is urging me to repair and sell the E-Tec and buy a 4 stroke, i have wanted a E-Tec ever since they came out so sitting on the fence about it would love to keep it just they are known to blow up a lot

Myusernam i called FNQ Outboard wreckers they said the only 115-130hp etec they had ran lean and was no good

Can you check the part numbers to make sure the V4 FICHT and your e-tec do share the same block? if that's the case, then a second hand block would be cheaper, quicker, probably better and certainly easier. Is the sleeve definitely buggered, it can't be bored out? you need to be sure the bottom end is good, they run on very little oil, and need to be spot on, not exactly sure on e-tecs, but, between the crankcase "chambers" there is very close tolerance sealing, called labyrinth seals, and it needs to be very clean and assembled correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Myusernam i called FNQ Outboard wreckers they said the only 115-130hp etec they had ran lean and was no good
    The block might be OK though? give Arizona Outboard wreckers a call, they have lots of stuff.

Yeah that is why old mate today said he couldn't do any work to the crankshaft because of the tight tolerances he did mention he could take a tiny layer off but i am not even going to gamble on that with a 9k engine, if the crank is no good the only option is to go undersized bearings or scrap it and get a new crank from the USA, i really don't want to part out the engine its too good not to rebuild

just hope that EMM is ok

i called Arazonia Outboard Wreckers they said the had a rebuilt powerhead for $2800

That guy in WA on Gumtree with the parting out of 115hp E-Tec was going to extra lengths for me to buy his powerhead saying he is genuine he will add me to his facebook friends list etc.. pay with paypal,, but he mentioned he worked up north for BHP now which shady charictor doesn't work for "BHP" LOL.... and he timed it so he would be home on a wednesday..... gets the money thrusday.... closes account friday...... seeya sucker!!!! hell no

Western Australia Gumtree sales ring more bells than the churchies around here...

iv bought tonnes of stuff from wa its cheap for the reasons ive said before, doesn't mean this isn't a scam

get someone to go personally pick it up

The fact that someone buys a whole complete running engine just for the sake of hearing people say the "fuel injectors go and the emm go on these models" is a warning sign, no one goes and spends $5000 on a engine minimum when injectors are $350 and a emm recondition is $1000!! it just did not make sense and still deosn't

his powerhead is worth $2000 easy, a wreckers wants $2800, he is selling it for $750!!!

I'm not specially stating all the scammers are in Perth WA they are all over Australia afew that still stand out to me are Coff's Coast or sales in Coffs Harbour, Cairns, and Townsville

scammer alert .......the old gumtree line, starts with " i work away at sea or up north" had one just the other day , wanting pay pal details. grubs

Cat they flood Gumtree there adds are all over the place

your certainly going to town on this project, dismantling everything is making me dizzy , but interesting to read the terms and lingo you guys are throwing around and depth of detail. regarding the ETEC, im learning that they are torque monsters having watched a 150 etec pull back a 200 yammie, in a tug of war challenge ending in the yammie being dragged backwards and pulled completely underwater, damn thats impressive, makes me want to go out and buy one, but then would i be joining the darkside.