Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Shes back together finally i hooked up a battery and tried to crank her over battery was flat so gotta put it on charge tonight

Oil said it takes 5.2 litres i put 5L in and spilt a bit and its way over full...

I got the initial beep for ignition on than 6 beeps meaning something was wrong, i forgot to connect the air idle control sensor but only realised it as i was packing up before dark

I have 1 unalocated plug donno where it goes a little 2 pin male so it is likely a sensor

Good tho that she cranks over by key so the ecu may still be ok

I need one of the fittings from a normal barbed hose fitting to low pressure fitting so i can run some fuel thru her

The 6 beep alarm may be because of no fuel in the box on the front where the fuel pump is housed, i'll google it now

Attachment 120512Attachment 120513

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

got a question, do you have to prime the oil pump

Cat i think they are self priming on the 25hp mercury 4 stroke 2001 i rebuilt it was self priming

If i have to prime it it should still have oil in it from when it last ran but since outboards can be laid down on there sides i'd assume its self priming

Anyone know the go with flushing outboards in Sydney with level 2 water restrictions? I cant find anything on it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Cat i think they are self priming on the 25hp mercury 4 stroke 2001 i rebuilt it was self priming

If i have to prime it it should still have oil in it from when it last ran but since outboards can be laid down on there sides i'd assume its self priming

Anyone know the go with flushing outboards in Sydney with level 2 water restrictions? I cant find anything on it

Here is your answer Gazza

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/engl...s-are-enforced

IMG_5729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Awesome thanks Shakey

Battery is half charged, im going to fabricate the low pressure special efi hose connector take measurements of one of the other plugs and make the adaptor on the lathe i dont have any thin aluminium stock so i'll likely make it from a steel bolt for testing than make one from aluminium at a later date

Found every sensors location, made a home made mount for the alternator, had battery charging for around 20 hours, got everything set up

alarm sounds once, fuel pump at first turned on than off now it stays on the whole time the key is on

cranks... cranks some more... but wont fire, she jumps around as if she is running and idling really low but its just not there i tried pouring fuel down the spark plug holes that is when she started jumping around while cranking as if it had a really low idle setting just below running speed

whats everyone's thoughts what should i do or check?

i thought the home made non adjustable alternator belt may be a little tight but it is no tighter than a car belt

I fabricated the intake fuel hose fitting from a steel blank i barbed one end and the end pictured is a 8AN high/low fuel pressure fittingAttachment 120516Attachment 120517Attachment 120518

Ok EFI is all new to me... 4 stroke not so new to me... but i am basically shit at problem solving!

Plan tomorrow will be to start checking the spark plugs and coils with a multimeter, disasemble the VST unit there may be a split fuel pump hose inside of it which is a common problem, i installed the 115hp flywheel as it was tidier than the original (no rust) but the flywheel does control the crank sensor and may be different crank settings for the sensor, failing that i will have to check all of the sensors with a multimeter even tho there are no warnings from the beeper..

I was hopping for a turn key smile lol

Was out there at the crack of dawn think i pissed off a few neighbors with the constant alarm beeping away at 5:45am but shit happens im usually a afternoon person for making noise its a one off..

With a full charged battery tried cranking her over again but no good

Turned to testing i grabbed the multimeter and started testing i checked the spark plugs i think plug on no:2 was no good it showed resistance ftom the plugs thread to the top cap, i changed this plug

I tested each coil and all read similar readings

Tested the neutral switch which strangly gave me a resitance in neutral and in gear... this may need to be changed

I used my fuel hose from my small boat and left the primer bulb on the hose the low pressure fuel pump couldnt suck fuel thru the primer bulb so i took it off, fuel was now priming thru the fuel injection system, spark plugs were wet meaning no spark...

A little further investigating the ecu was lightly touching the block relocated it well clear of the block with a rag behind it, now i have spark...

Alternator belt was to tight killing any hope of turning the engine over at a decent rpm i losen the belt now she was cranking over faster but the battery was reading 12.2v so the battery is back on charge

have you tried to see if there is spark at all, like the old trusted way of removing each plug and earthing it while cranking?

Eric yeah i tried that as part of the problem solving the battery was to far gone by the time i got spark i was cranking it over with all plugs in i removed the top plug and noticed the thread was wet but the tip was dry than i cranked her over with that one plug out

Thing is on this model the coils have a spring inside that compresses against the spark plug when the coil is bolted into place so the spring wants to keep pushing the plug out while the plug and coil are out but assembled

It was a bit tricky my starter motor works by key only for a second than the speocket retracts but for some reason if u engauge the starter sprocket with the flywheel it automatically cranks the engine with or without the key in the on position its like as if the starter motor is a smart starter, if it gets jammed on it will engauge and start spinning untill it automatically tetracts on its own as not to burn out

So basically what i need to do is lift the starter sprocket with a screw driver so it engauges the flywheel than powers up and spins on its own all while trying to check for spark

Are you 100% sure the flywheel is interchangeable? did you replace the cam? is the timing right?

I checked this morning both flywheels had the same part number only difference were both had there partial serial number stamped into the flywheel

I have the battery on charge now i will try start it again in the morning if it wont start i will check the timing again, yeah i replaced the intake cam and turned her over 3 flywheel revoloutions and timing was spot on

The valves are fully closing?