Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merc 4 stroke 150 tell tale

Merc 4 stroke 150 tell tale

When cleaning up late yesterday after a morning out I connected the hose to flush the engine and there’s no flow from the tell tale.
    I’m guessing most modern outboard have the hose flush connection or is it a merc thing ?
    First thing I checked was the tell tale hose for blockage. Lifted the cover and removed the hose from the exhaust manifold- no blockages. No flow from the exhaust manifold to the tell tale hose.

I got the muffs on the lower leg and started it up. At idle there’s no flow. Any increase in revs the flow starts out the tell tale.

Am I correct in saying the rubber pump impeller is worn ?

The engine is just out of warranty so if I’m right I will service the pump myself.
    Anyone removed the lower leg on a merc 150 4 stroke - any advice is welcome.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Merc 4 stroke 150 tell tale

Hey Evo hardest thing about a impeller change is trying to hold the gearbox up solo while trying to bolt it together plus in this heat you might have fun

Just remember as u push the impeller housing over the impeller rotate the driveshaft in the direction it turns

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

No worries Gazza thanks for the tips. I’ve been “researching” on YouTube it looks easy as long as everything separates easy.
    Am I best just ordering a pump kit from my local marine mechanic or where do most diy’ers get merc parts ?

Personally, i would get genuine, just for piece of mind. It's probably the most important component on an outboard!

Thanks ericcs I only ever intended to get original parts.

It's possible that the impeller is worn - however

I've found that my 140 Suzuki has the same issue ....... when usings muffs

I then had a big enough esky & lowered the leg into the esky .... filled it up - Bingo pumps without a drama
    Put the muffs on ...... nope .

I ended up buying a duel intake set of muffs ( the water spilts & is taken to each side ) - Works perfectly Duel inlet muffs.jpg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Nagg but it use have water out of the tell tail with the hose connector that’s permanently fitted to the side of the motor so there’s something definitely going on ?
    My guess is a worn impeller is not allowing adequate water pressure in the flush system while on the hose.
    I’ll take it as an early warning - unless there’s something else going on ?
    The built in flush connection is nice because I don’t have to run the engine so it’s neighbour friendly.

But I think everything else in the system is clear due to a little throttle and I get flow out of the tell tail.

May i politely suggest you pay particular attention to the selector at the front of the removed gearbox. You go rotating that out of its normal position and you will get lots of chatter and probs go nowhere next time you go out and go to select a gear.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

With my yammie it depends on the time of the day at home to how much water I have flowing
    If it does not come out the tell tale at night which is when it is always a problem I will try it in the morning and if not I put the muffs on and it works so with my situation it is just a supply problem at peak times

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

No flow with the engine running or with the engine not running? I would look into whether or not actually running your engine while on a flush port is a good idea? Is the impeller actually getting a full normal flow and thus not running hot. If it's with the engine not running and the telltale is normally there but has disappeared, then you have a blockage somewhere. If it was with the engine running then yes the impeller sounds like it's worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
    May i politely suggest you pay particular attention to the selector at the front of the removed gearbox. You go rotating that out of its normal position and you will get lots of chatter and probs go nowhere next time you go out and go to select a gear.
    Thanks Steeler I will definitely pay attention to the selector and keep it in the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No flow with the engine running or with the engine not running? I would look into whether or not actually running your engine while on a flush port is a good idea? Is the impeller actually getting a full normal flow and thus not running hot. If it's with the engine not running and the telltale is normally there but has disappeared, then you have a blockage somewhere. If it was with the engine running then yes the impeller sounds like it's worn.
    Definitely not running the engine using the flush port. Sorry if I made it sound like that I did. My understanding is that’s the whole point of having the flush port - not having to run the engine.
    But using the muffs on the lower leg - with the engine running, there is no flow at idle just a few initial spits and spurts, then if I go from idle (about 500-600 rpm) to about 1000 rpm the tell tail flow appears normal.

The water pressure is pretty good here so I’m pretty sure nothing has changed there. Even if it were peak water use time.

If the impeller is worn, the seal pressure would be less and I was thinking this is why I get flow above idle, with the impeller on it’s way out.

A partial blockage ? Ive removed the tell tail tube from the exhaust manifold and also checked the outlet nozzle, they are clear. That leaves a possible blockage inside the block somewhere, anything inside the engine case/casting and the cheapest/easiest way I can think of to find out - is to replace the pump and eliminate one or the other ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    With my yammie it depends on the time of the day at home to how much water I have flowing
    If it does not come out the tell tale at night which is when it is always a problem I will try it in the morning and if not I put the muffs on and it works so with my situation it is just a supply problem at peak times

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Thanks Jason, water pressure is pretty good here, and I did try it early afternoon and then late the next morning, not really peak times. I’ll give it another go today

Another option is a thermostat or prv stuck in the open position. Did it normally have a good strong tell tale on the muffs?

I have the Merc 150 as well....motor is flushed from a hose connection permanently mounted in cover.. recommended low pressure and without running motor..thing is ..once you connect the hose ..whats in the way to stop water flow through the tell tale?..the pressure comes from the water mains and you would have thought a worn stationary impeller?? shouldnt impede the flow..Im sure you're on track to check the impeller...