Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Rick on the Etec forum suggested one of the reed screws may have come lose i think thats more a probabilty over the over revving

Is the wrist pin bearing seized?

Scottar both bearings feel silky smooth the one still attached to the piston and the one still attached to the crankshaft none of the bearings are seized i donno how in such a catastrophic failure

Sorry Noel, yeah the sleeves are replaceable but not oem they have to be made aftermarket there is LA Sleeves and Advanced Sleeves in the USA if u check out there site they say they can make pretty much a sleeve for any engine

As long as someone will/can replace the sleeve for you, don't know about welding it up, might pay to look for another block? it looks like a lot of damage.

I have done lots of work on high performance 2 strokes, and, without trying to scare you (because I don't know the V4 etec in detail) first up, doing the crank for roller bearings in not the same as doing one for a car with metal "slipper" bearings, I don't think you will find anyone to do that. I am still sceptical about a sleeve, those are (I think) blind cylinders, and I doubt you will find anyone who can remove and refit a new one, assuming you get a sleeve from the US. Welding the block is not quite as easy as it seems, heat will often distort the actual case and cause assembly problems, it's not impossible, but not easy. Parts costs is going to be high, they are not cheap.

Just re read a bit, it kind of doesn't look like something (part of a reed) has entered the combustion chamber, because there is little damage on the head, not impossible of course, it could get sucked in and jam between the piston top and the port on the first stroke rather than jump around inside for a bit, it's all guess work as to what happened, kind of doesn't look like lack of oil either, nothing looks "cooked" if you get what I mean, although the heads do look clean and very "dry" was the piston stuck to the cylinder wall, or did it just come out easy?

Hey Noel the blocks are pretty rare to find i looked on ebau au/us/canada there was 1 4cylinder block but i think it was for the 75/90hp HO model but one good thing about the v4 etec is the older model DI ficht i think uses the same block, im actually not sure now if this block can be welded because its a blind cylinder meaning the only way into the damaged section with a tig welder is thru the blind end so it may need cutting out than re-welded probably a big job if it can be done than the sleeves cost about $500 to install

I'm thinking possible a screw has been sucked in thru the air filter as the lower piston has metal on it to

Ah yeah i grabbed the piston with needle nose pliers by those two holes and it just slid strait out

just spoke to a engineering company i have used before he said the resleeve is no problem however i mentioned the grazing of the aluminium wall and he said if it can be welded no problem if it cant be than no good but i suspect they may need to cut out the "blind" section to get into there to weld than reweld the blind section enclosed

i'll see what Huey says he will know more about it

Seems like if the piston was not stuck, no bearings were seized, then the rod just "let go" should be easy to see if something got in there to lock it up or locate if anything is missing around the intake.

I reckon it got water into the top cylinder, water won't compress so it bent a rod and the bent rod now being shorter started smashing the piston skirt against the blind hole until it broke the rod. After that any metal below the piston can easily migrate to the top of the piston via the by pass port.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about etecs but I did see one once at the boat ramp.

Check out the hardened piston pin

That is shagged, it would have been knocking for a while, probably just kept running it until it sh1t itself, hope the big end is OK, failed wrist pins (gudgeon) is sort of common in DFI engines, I think they are running right on the limit of oil to keep oil use down and emissions low, but, in the main they are good, be interesting to see another piston to compare, plus the big ends, one tip, just in case you don't know, do not mix the rods and rod caps up, they are matched to each other, and cannot be swapped around.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That is shagged, it would have been knocking for a while, probably just kept running it until it sh1t itself, hope the big end is OK, failed wrist pins (gudgeon) is sort of common in DFI engines, I think they are running right on the limit of oil to keep oil use down and emissions low, but, in the main they are good, be interesting to see another piston to compare, plus the big ends, one tip, just in case you don't know, do not mix the rods and rod caps up, they are matched to each other, and cannot be swapped around.
    Yeah I'm going to label the rods with a punch or a texta i have read the rods new are frozen than snapped so i don't think i would be able to mix them up each one would have a unique break

I'm keen to see the big in because that is where the money will be on the journals i was quoted a few years back $380 to weld and machine each journal than they need to be hardened so even more money but we will see when i pull her a part, i will be a happy chap if crank is ok

Does it look "oily" inside, or dry and crap looking? The rod caps are snapped during manufacture, but, you will be very surprised how similar they all are, don't use a punch to mark them, simply remove one and fit it back to its matching rod, maybe a texta too, just for kicks, check rod bolts for reuse, some are not reusable and must be replaced, just don't know about your model.