Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Snapped rods are usually due to the piston being stopped by something, water, a valve or seized somehow.

I will try lift the powerhead off this morning by my self once the sun comes up, i'll use the engine hoist to hopefully lift the powerhead than i'll slide some timber under it lower it back down than hand remove, to put it back on i'll lift it on to the leg with wood blocks lower hoist lift powerhead remove timber install gasket than lower should work just hope i can lift it

Lifted the powerhead up than pulled it to the side of the leg and slowly lowered it onto a couple drums with a plank of wood over the top than once the hoist was remove i had lift the powerhead onto the ground it would weigh around 20kg more than the Etec, The Etec i took off the leg and carried 20 meters into the shed and onto the bench but this thing is f.... heavy i could only just lift it

a bit of crap fell down into the oil pani could see at lease 2 small 3mm chunks of aluminium iam going to make a small 5mm vacuu hose to go on the air compressors air blower gun to vacuum out any seen aluminium than i'll flush it thru the oil pan drain plug with petrol or water and if i have to i will buy a decent inspection scope camera, taking the middle powerhead adapter plate off to remove the oil pan will bring some grief with seized bolts there are a lot of them and they are six millimeter bolts which are the worse on salt water outboards i would also have to wait for the gasket to come from Japan which would be a few weeks

No word from my cousin to help with the powerhead bugger may have to ask my brother to help... grabbed the starter from the shed and disassembled it quiet surprised to see it has a planetary gearbox inside of the starter motor the outer sprocket is plastic and lucky because this took the hit and bent in but being plastic its still ok the 3 sprockets were ok and only the housing was damaged, I'm going to drop it into the aluminium welder to see what he says as im not sure if part of it is aluminium or magnesium hopefully the cost will be $100 or less i haven't priced a new starter but seeing the intriguing design they must not be cheap!

the damage doesn't look like much in the first few pictures but after i used the pliers to remove the crack bits i needed to get out the drill and drill holes to chip away all the cracked shit and get a proper look at the extent of damage once all the fractured aluminium was drilled and chipped away here is what i have

Will post pics of job once its repaired, If and when i can get a hand hopefully over the next few days hopping to have that new powerhead on and starter on to run some dry and wet compression readings

wonder how generic the starter motor is, can't imagine there would be too many out there second hand!

They cost $300 for a aftermarket starter from the usa, i just got back from the alloy welder was quoted $200 to weld it

I'm going to weld it my self probably preheat it with the blow torch than mig weld it using the unimig

Eric yeah its not just a ordinary starter motor with a armiture, magnets and a bunch of wire and a set of brushes

This thing has a plantary gearbox it looks expensive i havent got a quote for one local oem but it would be several hundred

Picked up some hose looks like 3/8" to vacuum suck out the chunks of aluminium in the sump, grabbed some 4mm aluminium sheet from the shed and some paper plus a pen marked out the hole in starter onto paper than onto the aluminium took about 35mins of cutting and shaping i now have a nice fit i will try my best to make it look pretty i am going to tig weld it wish me luck, i can tig steel and some new clean aluminium this is dirty old aluminium so i don't know the outcome yet i know most of my 12 to 14 settings on the tig welder but have never varied from what i have been told to pre set them at so this may be a mile or ten long...

still arranging some help to lift the powerhead my cousin hasn't made any contact

If all else fails guys and i weld this into a pile of shit i bought some of these low temp welding rods about 3 years ago i will weld it with them if i can find them in the shed

those low temp rods dont weld its just a solder of sorts and are a con

even that video is faked when he drills the second hole has slowed the drill and no pressure applied

Lots of videos here https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...m+welding+rods some with people testing those rods u will need to work out the videos some are using brazing rods others the low temp rods

There used to always be a guy at the boat show selling those alloy welding rods, they are near useless for anything other than filling holes in a coke can at the boat show! Do you have a HF TIG? You need AC to weld alloy and pure Argon, not a mix like you use for steel, should be easy enough to clean it with acetone and a stainless brush, cast alloy is not so easy to weld.

Yeah i got a ac/dc tig need to swap the button over on the torch and put the argon hose back on the machine than shes good to go

Think i may have put some impurities in the aluminium when i cleaned it today but i'll use a a new clean flap disc to skim the surface before welding

This is the welder when i bought it i was told it was very old welder i dont expect it to last much longer the seller said it had done a massive amount of dc work he had 2 or 3 VW beetles in the garage

I have used ac tig a few times but only used this machine once since buying it

Started off by taking the tig out to the shed than firing it up but was nothing but a pain in the ass gas fitting on the tig was 3/8" the fitting on all my regulators were 1/4" than the solenoid wouldn't work i was losing hope so just got out the Unimig mig razor 200 and welded it not the prettiest thing in the works haha more pics when it cools down and i get a chance to shape it, had a ton of penetration and i only had the mig set to 4mm material worked perfect

a bit of impurities because my mig is not set up for alloy so i still had the steel liner and i think a bit of the impurities came out of the alloy as after i took these pics i done a couple fills of some low spots just while the piece was still hot and they came out nice and clean welds but who knows the impurities may have even been drawn in from the other side thru the gaps