Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Re: E-Tec, Optimax, 4 Stroke? Looking at 115hp range

Ericcs I'm not sure what type of super human u think i am working on the projects but to update u i have been working on the boat and i am more than half way thru the rebuild actually the finish of the tear down was half way...

last couple of days i was meant to be gluing in strings but i have had to help my uncle install a new cylinder head on his car now that is done i can get back to the boat

rebuilding the boat i personally can only stand doing it in the cooler months i have updated that thread recently, the engine i have no problem fixing in warmer weather that is why i am focusing on the boat now, the trailer i am waiting for the money to come in i can't do anything without the cash

to clear this up i don't get up at 8am and go to bed at 10pm each and every day, My sleeping is controlled by heavy medication i sleep irregular routines and hours are always different day in day out when i do get up at 8am on a good day i do work on my projects but when u wake up at 7pm what can u expect me to do in the dark? i beat my self up about it all the time i feel as if i am pissing in the wind its not as easy as setting an alarm clock and waking up when i wake my self up i feel as i'f i have drank half a carton of beers because of the medications i am taking Efexor and Invega once the highest doses...

I have been following all your projects since you started them, so I am well aware of what your going through. We all have our own issues, and I sympathise with yours, however, I don't really think we all need to know about them, what meds your on, and be be regularly updated. It would nice to see follow through on one project to the end like the others do. Personally, i want to see you succeed with your projects, but it's frustrating to see you get on a roll, then it's dead in the water for months, only to swap to another project!
    None of us are super human!

I put in probably 1 to 3 hours a day when i am able to work on the boat i do have a life inbetween that u may not be aware of i care for an elderly person so everything must be dropped i am not an overly active person in general and i can often be side tracked by other things in life... i think i made it clear in the begging the boat rebuild will take up to 5 years so why are people expecting it to be done any quicker? As far as progress goes demoing a boat cost no money electricity is provided, cutting disc are $1 each, sanding disc $5, labor is free..

Rebuilding a boat doesnt cost cents it doesnt cost dollars however it does cost thousands of dollars i am very far from having money in my bank.. i buy what i can with what i have and make the most of it i dont have a spare $14,000 to have a shop rebuild my boat in 4 weeks flat i dont have another $7000 to buy a trailer i dont have $14,000 to just go buy a new engine what i do have is the knowledge to buy shit cheap and repair it my self that is my way of achiving my own goals

By me doing build along threads is not to entertain you or anyone else its simply just to share my experience, ask advice and get some feedback..

To put it simple my builds will take as long as they take wether your still around to see the finish or not i'm not doing it just for yours or anyone elses satisfaction mate

If u knew me in person i am a basic person that doesnt plan and doesnt like a cluttered life, i do as i want when i like and when i feel like doing it

I would love to have the motivation i had at 18 but i dont

Not everyone in life is in the same pot a lot of what u dont see is what people dont tell u, if i could have hired someone to come out and do all my work on my boat i could lead u all to believe im a A grade shipwright but what u see is my work and my effort albeit slow i am still getting somewhere

so the 90 merc cant be reflashed so that clears that up. perhaps $500 to get the heads swapped over to get it going, what kinda dough you looking at to make a longer leg for your transom. i mean if you not going very far out then the 90 merc might just do the job for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I put in probably 1 to 3 hours a day when i am able to work on the boat i do have a life inbetween that u may not be aware of i care for an elderly person so everything must be dropped i am not an overly active person in general and i can often be side tracked by other things in life... i think i made it clear in the begging the boat rebuild will take up to 5 years so why are people expecting it to be done any quicker? As far as progress goes demoing a boat cost no money electricity is provided, cutting disc are $1 each, sanding disc $5, labor is free..

Rebuilding a boat doesnt cost cents it doesnt cost dollars however it does cost thousands of dollars i am very far from having money in my bank.. i buy what i can with what i have and make the most of it i dont have a spare $14,000 to have a shop rebuild my boat in 4 weeks flat i dont have another $7000 to buy a trailer i dont have $14,000 to just go buy a new engine what i do have is the knowledge to buy shit cheap and repair it my self that is my way of achiving my own goals

By me doing build along threads is not to entertain you or anyone else its simply just to share my experience, ask advice and get some feedback..

To put it simple my builds will take as long as they take wether your still around to see the finish or not i'm not doing it just for yours or anyone elses satisfaction mate

If u knew me in person i am a basic person that doesnt plan and doesnt like a cluttered life, i do as i want when i like and when i feel like doing it

I would love to have the motivation i had at 18 but i dont

Not everyone in life is in the same pot a lot of what u dont see is what people dont tell u, if i could have hired someone to come out and do all my work on my boat i could lead u all to believe im a A grade shipwright but what u see is my work and my effort albeit slow i am still getting somewhere
    here we go again, too much information.
    if your so short of cash, why do you want to pay someone $500 to do the power head swap, when 5 months ago, you were going to do it yourself. you mentioned in the post above and in the past that your more than capable of all things mechanical. as you mentioned, labour is free!

Cat if the 90 Merc can get me 45-48kph i will be happy i think that would be a realistic speed from a under powered boat i would really love 60kph or a bit quicker but anything around that 50kph range i will be happy if its running a 4 stroke as it may be flat out so fuel will count

Anything less than 40kph i think will be to slow even if i fit tabs or a hydro foil

My little boat is 4.5m has a 50hp 3 cylinder on it with 4 adults and a bit of water under the floor she still gets up and goes, with 3 adults offshore i probably use half to 2/3rds throttle so i am hopping the 90 may pull it off but the big boat i could probably fit the small boat inside the big boat

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    here we go again, too much information.
    if your so short of cash, why do you want to pay someone $500 to do the power head swap, when 5 months ago, you were going to do it yourself. you mentioned in the post above and in the past that your more than capable of all things mechanical. as you mentioned, labour is free!
    Ok u seem like a person that really must know the answer but doesnt want to hear my reply?

Money is hard to come by in the 4 digits im fine saving 200,300 if i am tighter than a budgies ass for a few weeks now someone in my family had a huge payout and i borrowed over $7000 i built the trailer, i bought the engine and powerhead among other things the cash dried up i am now repaying the money for another year and a half
    I still have cash i can save but i am repaying the loan too plus i split all house bills with another person
    You seem like u want an answer but not happy with my replies

It was easier to borrow money buy what i need and pay it off rather than have a little bit of cash a boat with no engine and no trailer that idea would have no future.... likely i would end up putting a 1978 120hp johnson on it and place it all on a rusty painted trailer

6 months ago i was active once it took me 2.5 months to replace the land rover clutch it really wore me out i didnt even want to help my uncle yesterday and today repair his car

I am more than capible of repairing the Merc i'm just in a big blahhh mood

Then of course, If your not interested in someones efforts, that maybe differ from ones own abilities, Sick of hearing to much detail, but feel the need to ask questions, or indeed belittle someone, You don't even need to comment......
    What I've learned in life, is, Every ones Sh@te stinks ! No one's any different, So it's a fine line between commenting and being judgemental, that may come across as someone being condescending.
    I have to be honest since I've returned to the forum here, without Gazza's posts, tussock weed would have been heard passing in the wind.
    I don't know Gazza, don't communicate with him apart from posts here on the forum and I've actually read all of his threads from his "yes" many projects he has on the go. Sometimes it's easy to kick someone than show a bit of empathy, or indeed, refrain from commenting at all.
    Just my opinion.
    P.S
    Gazza, pull ya finger out, what else have we to do on long cold winter nights, apart from reading your project threads

Col

Col mate back in 2007 2008 i bought a 17 foot bow rider rooted and rooted just like the boat i have now me and a mate totally stripped it ground back the entire hull i sunk all my cash into it at this point i had my supplies poly resin, i think talc, chopped mat, plywood, i started by doing the transom i was young and had absolutely no experience at all in repairing a boat i had zero knowlege back than i think youtube was just beggining there were not much info on the internet about boat rebuilding i done a absolute cocked up job on the transom i just had no idea but i had huge dreams

A few weeks pass i was broke the future cash wise looked very dull i just didnt have the money i ended up selling the trailer and giving the boat away for free my circumstances just could not support the project i was down and out gutted and depressed i have vowed not to do the same again and rather do things slower be more patient and work when i can and spend money when i have it available without putting my self out

To this day i still think about that boat the effort we put into it and my massive fail its depressing just thinking about it because i didnt look into the future i had no future for the project sad really that and i had no knowledge on how to do yhe work

From memory i was advised to use a paint brush to wet out the transom the polyester resin went off so fast i worked on a vast area all at once and just f...ed it had no idea about wetting out glass

Sad really i was so ambishious

Ok fella's the past week i have been getting up at 3am to 5am my sleeping has improved somewhat to the routine i was stuck in i am now motivated and its actually daylight... I'm going to goto Bunnings or Super Cheap this morning and buy some socket kits, screw drivers and shit as over the past 2 years my nephew has takin a lot of my tools or lost them in generally not putting them back after he has used them so all my tools are all over the house in the lawn out the front, in cupboards and shit i am over trying to find my stuff he no longer lives with me but its time i get all my tools back in order he has been banned from using any of my tools for this reason

i will try pick up a set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and get ripping and tearing into this Mercury engine, today i may only get all the parts off it i need to arrange a time with my cousin to help me remove the powerhead to lift it off and also move the new powerhead as its still bolted down to the trailer and will take 2 of us to move

hopefully i bought the right gaskets but expect to see some progress today will take happy snaps, Main goal is to just get the powerheads swapped over i will work out why the old powerhead blew up later on i am pretty sure it was the water pump impeller but could also havebeen over revved and revved hard for a long period but we will see

if there is nothing wrong with the old cylinder head i may keep it as a spare or sell it to recoup some cost that i have spent so far

stay tuned....

I personally would attack this differently, buy/borrow/hire an engine hoist, make a good strong stand to bolt the motor to, after all this is done, get an early start at removing the old power head, fitting the new one, and if possible, get it running, try to do it all in one hit, the minute you start leaving motor bits for later, the more chance there is a bits and pieces getting lost or mixed up.

I hear ya Noel i just tore it a part there were only about 5 parts that came off the powerhead, alternator, air filter/injectors/injector rail/intake manifold kept all as one piece including the throttle actuator mechanism part not sure what it is called possibly a air flow meter, starter motor is cactus!, alternator bracket obliterated need a new one... forgot to add there is about 10 loose bolts from the whole powerhead and cowlings.. one thing i do is when i remove a part i replace the bolt back where it came from

need a new set of intake rubber seals, alternator bracket, complete starter motor, 1 fuel injector plug locking sir clip, and i need a mercury technician to come out for the initial start up to run the computer and attach 2 new high pressure hose clamps i don't have the special type of hose clamp pliers

this engine is a absolute piece of piss to work on, i thought the timing chain being under the bottom of the powerhead it actually needed to come off but there is clearance under the rear of the powerhead and easy access on the right side to the timing chain tensioner

the engine is on a engine hoist its actually a engine hoist with a engine mounting bracket a two piece engine hoist assembly i can move the boom back and forth to the correct length to lift the powerhead off but i am going to need my cousin to help so i'll contact him today and make arrangements

there are fragments of engine pieces right throughout the whole engine from 1mm to huge 5cm chunks when the old powerhead comes off i will take the chance to clean the oil pump and possibly the oil sump of metal i will measure the oil pump clearance too just to make sure its ok before the new powerhead goes on

check out that carnage this engine must have been going flat out 5500 5800 RPM and BOOOM!!!!! the other 3 cylinders must have kept it rotating untill it stopped

Edit: the American's call these engines Verado's over there but there models are i think turbo? they have acommon problem of the injectors leaking and hydro locking the engine, When i removed my high pressure fuel hose after all these months of sitting it still had a lot of pressure in the hose so i don't think it seized from a leaking injector or there would be no pressure in the hose after 8? months

That's an epic disintegration, would have sounded terrible when it let go!

I donno the full extent of damage yet i tried to take a pic of down the intake port but the sun was over my shoulder so couldnt see much the valve stems look super duper clean or possibly brand new, there is written on the top of cylinder head 95/100 in white texta i would say that relates to the last compression test

It sure would have been one heck of a noise especially that rod snapping